Irish Members

While touristy if you catch the Giant’s Causeway on a midweek day it is pretty empty and a stunning walk. On a half decent day it is breathtaking. While there the carrick a reel rope bridge is also nearby. Would advise these if you travel North.
Giant's Causeway is definitely on my wife's list. Will check out the rope bridge, thx!

The Bushmills distillery is up that direction too. You could have a nice day or two there

Yeah I really enjoyed the Bushmills distillery tour when I was up that way. Funny story, I did once have drunk priest accost me at a bar when I ordered Bushmills with the line:

“Don’t be buying that, it’s a Protestant whiskey, he’ll have the Red Breast”

Hi friends - just booked a trip from July 5-15th to Dublin, but looking to do a self-guided driving tour around the island as much as possible. Just starting to figure out an itinerary and would appreciate any recommendations.

Already excited about a day trip to Arran islands and Cliffs of Mohler based on the recommendation above. Coming with my wife and 17 year old, would like to avoid the touristy things (although I think a Guiness and/or Whiskey tour would be necessary) and focus more on natural parks and well run historical sites. Recommendations for local music / nightlife in the big cities (Dublin, Belfast, Galway are on the shortlist) and advice for finding places to stay, bnbs would be appreciated as well.

Galway is a fantastic city and even better county. Make sure to plan a couple of nights there, to get out and about at night and soak in the atmosphere. If you like seafood Oscar’s seafood bar is one of my favourites.

If you have time out that way a couple of days in Connemara is a must. Roundstone and Lenaun are well worth seeing and if going back to Galway you can detour via Cong in south mayo, it’s a beautiful village and Ashford castle is worth a walk around.

Accommodation in Ireland is, and there is no getting away from it, really expensive, there’s a shortage of hotels in the bigger cities and a huge amount of tourists visiting.

Last edited:
Back