Jazz

I’m deep into a piano jazz trio phase right now. What is your favorite piano jazz trio album to recommend?

My only added request is no horns - I’m overloaded on brass and woodwinds right now.
About six months into my piano trio jazz phase and I managed to load up on a bunch of Eddie Higgins albums. They are the perfect relaxer for me after a stressful workday.

Here’s what’s curious. I recently acquired a Venus CD of an Eddie Higgins album - the albums are all mastered using digital techniques. When playing the CD, I don’t get quite the same level of “relaxation” that I get from the vinyl, despite the digital origins.

It may be entirely psychosomatic, but I do experience a difference. Looks like my vinyl Eddie Higgins collection will continue to grow.

About six months into my piano trio jazz phase and I managed to load up on a bunch of Eddie Higgins albums. They are the perfect relaxer for me after a stressful workday.

Here’s what’s curious. I recently acquired a Venus CD of an Eddie Higgins album - the albums are all mastered using digital techniques. When playing the CD, I don’t get quite the same level of “relaxation” that I get from the vinyl, despite the digital origins.

It may be entirely psychosomatic, but I do experience a difference. Looks like my vinyl Eddie Higgins collection will continue to grow.
Venus digital is the most highly compressed jazz on the planet. For what reason they do this, I don't know. The vinyl, by necessity, is somewhat backed off on the compressed loudness that the CD has. That is the difference you hear.

Venus digital is the most highly compressed jazz on the planet. For what reason they do this, I don't know. The vinyl, by necessity, is somewhat backed off on the compressed loudness that the CD has. That is the difference you hear.
Odd - CD has a far greater dynamic range than vinyl; not sure why they would compress it more.

Odd - CD has a far greater dynamic range than vinyl; not sure why they would compress it more.
CD has for the last 25 years been highly compressed. Vinyl always will sound better as a separate vinyl master must be sent for the lacquer cutting, since vinyl can't use a brick wall master or it will be untrackable.

Hence, the dynamic range of vinyl is in almost every case much higher than a comparable CD.

The Monk Coltrane makes no sense with the OJC out.

Those tapes are jacked anyway. Back and forth Mono stereo mono stereo.

The twofer sounds a lot better.
Have you heard the AP from 20+ years ago when the tapes were fresher? These are from the 90s box set

Have you heard the AP from 20+ years ago when the tapes were fresher? These are from the 90s box set
No, that's a good point. I didn't think about the difference in time between cuts.
I heard something went array in the 70s with the tapes.
All I can say is the OJC is a letdown.

No, that's a good point. I didn't think about the difference in time between cuts.
I heard something went array in the 70s with the tapes.
All I can say is the OJC is a letdown.
I believe the AP is all stereo but not 100% sure…I got the box set but haven’t had time to open it yet and may reach out to see if they would possibly send jackets…

Back