Spin The Black Circle - The Pearl Jam Thread

I watched Saturday's show live on an instagram feed. My daughter was there and is going again tonight. They had GA for N1 - some of her photos are just incredible. Hoping to find a feed again tonight.
Is this the video you watched? I appreciate that its from (I think) the back row so the camera work didn't get in the way of folks watching the show.

I like the new stage setup / backdrop / lighting.

Is this the video you watched? I appreciate that its from (I think) the back row so the camera work didn't get in the way of folks watching the show.

I like the new stage setup / backdrop / lighting.

Not this one - a friend was broadcasting it on Instagram from 2nd row off the floor, on Mike's side, right at the back end of the pit. There was another live feed in one of the FB groups.

I did see that someone recorded the show from Mike's side, looked like he was on or close to the rail, and it looked like incredible quality video. I'll see if I can find a link.

ETA: I can't find it on youtube nor in any of the FB groups. If I do happen upon it, I will post it.

Last edited:
Not this one - a friend was broadcasting it on Instagram from 2nd row off the floor, on Mike's side, right at the back end of the pit. There was another live feed in one of the FB groups.

I did see that someone recorded the show from Mike's side, looked like he was on or close to the rail, and it looked like incredible quality video. I'll see if I can find a link.

Mike Rail is the correct side of the stage to be on from experience (5/3/2022)!
IMG_3123.jpeg

Mike does do nice videos. I was sitting next to him during the Springsteen Columbus videos he posted :)
I actually met him for the first time at a U2 show in Cleveland. We went on a behind the scenes guided tour of the Rock Hall with a small group of friends. That was a lot of fun.

More thoughts when I'm not shitbagged at hour 18 of my day that included 13 hours with a toddler and a bunch of big city adventure, but the short version is:

Tonight was fucking awesome!

Okay...

While we were in line for the ferry over to Vancouver on Sunday my wife and I were listening to Vs. and as "Elderly Woman Behind the Counter in a Small Town" came on we both agreed we would be ecstatic if we got to hear it at Monday night's show. Shortly after I found a review and setlist for Saturday night and saw they'd already played it so I knew we probably wouldn't get it after all at our show.

Due to some family commitments. we knew we weren't going to make it to the arena in time to catch Deep Sea Diver, which was unfortunate as I'd been looking forward to checking them out - I quite enjoyed their most recent album (2020's Impossible Weight.) More unfortunate, however, was missing our bus and arriving at the tail end of "Immortality," made extra sad by learning later we'd missed "The Long Road" and "Nothingman" - two songs I figured it would be unlikely we would hear (which I guess wound up being accurate in its own fucked up way!)

The stage looked great, the sound was clear and the crowd was absolutely electrified (which is more the rarity than the norm when it comes to Vancouver.) The boys came off as a band that had nothing to prove to anybody, their atmosphere was loose and casual while their playing was tight! The new songs sounded much better live than the few streams we'd done of the album going in - "Dark Matter" in particular was a nice crowd rager. Not sure what the setlist original called for after "Wishlist," but as they were drawing to the end of the song Eddie was doing a round of the stage whispering in everybody's ear and before I could answer my wife's ask of what he was doing he mentioned he'd just changed up the setlist and they broke into "Even Flow" which saw the arena instantly explode, bringing the already high energy up at least two more levels. "Running" > "Jeremy" > "Better Man" was a sweet triple-threat finish to end the opening set.

After a very short break, an overhead projector light appeared on the screen and Eddie started writing notes to the crowd talking about the Stanley Cup, wishing the Canucks luck and reminiscing on some of the band's previous gigs in Vancouver. It was a very fun and playful twist on the dead air between set and encore. Afterward he came up and talked about how it'd been surprising to realize it had been 11 years since they played in Vancouver and how we'd all lost people in that time and hoped everyone was doing okay. Then he talked a bit about poet Jerome Rothenberg, who had recently passed before breaking into a solo cover of Warren Zevon's "Keep Me In Your Heart," which was an achingly beautiful moment that had me smile/crying pretty hard thinking on some of my own recent losses.

"Why Go" was a very happy surprise!

And while Eddie was looking the Neil Youngiest I've ever seen him in his flannel and hat, I was beside myself with excitement when the band broke into "Baba O'Riley" on the way out of "Alive," rather than "Rockin' In The Free World." Either would have made me happy, but my introduction to "Baba O'Riley" was on a Pearl Jam bootleg CD I picked up in Japan back in 1995.

Other highlights included a woman in the front who was attending her 100th show, and a youngster named Ryan (approx. 8-10, I'd guess) who had been rocking out on his Dad's shoulders for half the show which Eddie brought to the rest of our attention giving him props. Toward the end of the night, he brought Ryan up on stage and convinced him to have a sip of his wine, before pouring some in the cups of a few folks up front. Eddie also had some fun with accountability, having the audience boo him for being the reason the band fucked up playing "Red Mosquito" during the first show.

Honestly, when my wife first got tickets for the show I was pretty lowkey about the whole it all. "Oh, Pearl Jam, right. I used to really like them years ago," kinda vibes. I knew it was going to be a good show, or whatever, and it would be neat to see them 25 years after I'd first seen them, but that show really blew me away. I don't care whether or not I care about any of their more recent albums, those guys put on one absolute helluva show, and my wife and I walked out of that arena absolutely blissed out and full (and exhausted).

Looking forward to tracking down a recording of this one. As well as reacquiring a recording of the show I went to back in '98!

Okay...

While we were in line for the ferry over to Vancouver on Sunday my wife and I were listening to Vs. and as "Elderly Woman Behind the Counter in a Small Town" came on we both agreed we would be ecstatic if we got to hear it at Monday night's show. Shortly after I found a review and setlist for Saturday night and saw they'd already played it so I knew we probably wouldn't get it after all at our show.

Due to some family commitments. we knew we weren't going to make it to the arena in time to catch Deep Sea Diver, which was unfortunate as I'd been looking forward to checking them out - I quite enjoyed their most recent album (2020's Impossible Weight.) More unfortunate, however, was missing our bus and arriving at the tail end of "Immortality," made extra sad by learning later we'd missed "The Long Road" and "Nothingman" - two songs I figured it would be unlikely we would hear (which I guess wound up being accurate in its own fucked up way!)

The stage looked great, the sound was clear and the crowd was absolutely electrified (which is more the rarity than the norm when it comes to Vancouver.) The boys came off as a band that had nothing to prove to anybody, their atmosphere was loose and casual while their playing was tight! The new songs sounded much better live than the few streams we'd done of the album going in - "Dark Matter" in particular was a nice crowd rager. Not sure what the setlist original called for after "Wishlist," but as they were drawing to the end of the song Eddie was doing a round of the stage whispering in everybody's ear and before I could answer my wife's ask of what he was doing he mentioned he'd just changed up the setlist and they broke into "Even Flow" which saw the arena instantly explode, bringing the already high energy up at least two more levels. "Running" > "Jeremy" > "Better Man" was a sweet triple-threat finish to end the opening set.

After a very short break, an overhead projector light appeared on the screen and Eddie started writing notes to the crowd talking about the Stanley Cup, wishing the Canucks luck and reminiscing on some of the band's previous gigs in Vancouver. It was a very fun and playful twist on the dead air between set and encore. Afterward he came up and talked about how it'd been surprising to realize it had been 11 years since they played in Vancouver and how we'd all lost people in that time and hoped everyone was doing okay. Then he talked a bit about poet Jerome Rothenberg, who had recently passed before breaking into a solo cover of Warren Zevon's "Keep Me In Your Heart," which was an achingly beautiful moment that had me smile/crying pretty hard thinking on some of my own recent losses.

And while Eddie was looking the Neil Youngiest I've ever seen him in his flannel and hat, I was beside myself with excitement when the band broke into "Baba O'Riley" on the way out of "Alive," rather than "Rockin' In The Free World." Either would have made me happy, but my introduction to "Baba O'Riley" was on a Pearl Jam bootleg CD I picked up in Japan back in 1995.

Other highlights included a woman in the front who was attending her 100th show, and a youngster named Ryan (approx. 8-10, I'd guess) who had been rocking out on his Dad's shoulders for half the show which Eddie brought to the rest of our attention giving him props. Toward the end of the night, he brought Ryan up on stage and convinced him to have a sip of his wine, before pouring some in the cups of a few folks up front. Eddie also had some fun with accountability, having the audience boo him for being the reason the band fucked up playing "Red Mosquito" during the first show.

Honestly, when my wife first got tickets for the show I was pretty lowkey about the whole it all. "Oh, Pearl Jam, right. I used to really like them years ago," kinda vibes. I knew it was going to be a good show, or whatever, and it would be neat to see them 25 years after I'd first seen them, but that show really blew me away. I don't care whether or not I care about any of their more recent albums, those guys put on one absolute helluva show, and my wife and I walked out of that arena absolutely blissed out and full (and exhausted).

Looking forward to tracking down a recording of this one. As well as reacquiring a recording of the show I went to back in '98!
This was a great read and review!

Glad you had an amazing time!

Okay...

Not sure if this is the show you attended, but if so, it's a start!

no clue if you are aware or not, so pardon if this is obvious, but unless you’re looking to revisit the show asap, you won’t need to track a recording down, they will make a recording available on their shop at some point in the near future here.

sucks you missed immortality! but glad you had a great experience. thanks for sharing.

Back