Choose Your Own Adventure - The October 2024 Spin Challenge

Hemotep

aq0pbZ1q_700w_0.jpg

I had much grander plans for how this choose your own adventure would go, but I never had the time to pull it off. So next year, maybe? Instead there are some simple rules for how this one will go.

You do not need to play the game to participate in the challenge thread. All are welcome. Just have fun and play albums. Or play the game and win a prize maybe while showing off your expert level spins.

Instructions:

Each day will have a prompt that has four levels of challenges. You earn points depending on which challenge level you play.
  1. Easy = 0 Points
  2. Medium = 1 Points
  3. Hard = 2 Points
  4. Expert = 3 Points
The Bad
For each level you go down in difficulty on the next day's prompt, you must subtract .5 points from your total. Meaning that if you play "Expert" on day 1, earning you 3 points, and then you play "Easy" on Day 2, because you dropped down 3 levels you lose 1.5 points overall for that day and would have a total of 1.5 points at the end of Day 2.

The Good
On the other hand, playing Expert on consecutive days earns you .5 bonus points for each consecutive day that you play at that level. So if you play "Expert" on Day 1 (3 points), "Expert" on Day 2 (3.5 points), "Expert" on Day 3 (4 points), etc. You would have 10.5 points at the end of Day 3. Bonus point level resets once you play at any other challenge level.

Please update your point totals on each post. The person with the most points at the end of the month will win a prize that will be something all record forum nerds would want.

1-Oct On this day in 1970, Janis Joplin made her last recordings, including an acapella version of "Mercedes Benz" and version of "Happy Trails" as a birthday present for John Lennon. Easy: Play an album that includes a musician's last recordings before they passed. Medium: Play an album by a musician with a gravelly voice. Hard: Play a song that was recorded as a birthday present. Expert: Play an acapella song.

2-Oct On this day in 1995, Oasis releases the album "(What's the Story?) Morning Glory" and the song "Champagne Supernova" reaches #1 on the Modern Rock chart. Easy: Play an album by a British band. Medium: Play a song that went #1 on the Modern Rock chart. Hard: Play an album with sibling musicians. Expert: Play an album that came out on Creation Records.

3-Oct On this day in 1992, Sinead O'Connor tore up a picture of Pope John Paul II while playing on Saturday Night Live. The FCC fined NBC $2.5 million for the act. Easy: Play an album by a solo woman artist. Medium: Play a band who has performed on SNL. Hard: Play a song that criticizes organized religion. Expert: Play an album by a musician who was fined or caused a fine to be levied because of their on air actions.

4-Oct On this day in 1999, David Bowie released his twenty-first studio album, "Hours." It was the first complete album by a major artist available for download over the Internet, preceding the physical release by two weeks. Easy: Play an album with a one word title. Medium: Play an album by an artist who embraced androgyny and/or cultivated a sexual mystique. Hard: Play an album by a band/musician who has released at least 20 albums. Expert: Play an album that was the first to use a new technology, technique, or strategy in its creation or distribution.

5-Oct Lead Vocals. Easy: Play an album with a musician who is only responsible for singing. Medium: Play an album with a musician who plays the guitar and does lead vocals. Hard: Play an album with a musician who plays the bass and does lead vocals. Expert: Play an album with a musician who plays drums and does lead vocals.

6-Oct Brass Wind Instruments. Easy: Play an album with saxophone or trumpet. Medium: Play an album with tuba or trombone. Hard: Play an album with French horn or cornet. Expert: Play an album with flugelhorn or euphonium.

7-Oct On this day in 2000, Phish go on hiatus for 815 days, until New Year's Eve 2002 when they play at Madison Square Garden. Easy: Play an album by a band/musician who has played at Madison Square Garden. Medium: Play an album by a jam band. Hard: Play an album by a band who went on hiatus for at least 815 days before coming back as big as ever. Expert: Play a live show recorded on New Year's Eve.

Last edited:
I loved Choose Your Own Adventure books. I would cheat and redo my choice if my decision resulted in death.

regardless these books helped me score a few personal pan pizzas back when Pizza Hut wasn’t gross.
View attachment 214894
Hell yes! I would have my fingers holding spots so I could go back if I died. And I too read these for Pizza Hut. Loved those days with Pepsi in the red cups.

Hell yes! I would have my fingers holding spots so I could go back if I died. And I too read these for Pizza Hut. Loved those days with Pepsi in the red cups.
Salad bar. Juke box, arcade game (one of the 4-Players; either X-Men, The Simpsons, or Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles) to play while the Pizza cooked. Pitcher of Pepsi (Bud Light for the adult). Back To The Future sunglasses or Land Before Time dinosaur puppets for small additional charge.

Life was pretty good.

1-Oct On this day in 1970, Janis Joplin made her last recordings, including an acapella version of "Mercedes Benz" and version of "Happy Trails" as a birthday present for John Lennon.
Expert: Play an acapella song = 3 Points

Suzanne Vega - Solitude Standing
20241001_143400.jpg

This original Acapella version of Tom's Diner was also used for testing the first MP3s!

Last edited:
Back