Damaged Technics SL-100C Question

mitchwagz

Hoping someone can help! Just purchased a used Technics SL-100C off eBay and unfortunately the seller did not pack it correctly. Basically just threw TT in a box without locking the tonearm or removing the platter. Anyway, I opened it up and the center spindle is completely sheared off. Additionally, the tonearm portion that rests on the lift is broken. Now that I can probably solve with super glue. The spindle I’m not so sure about. Nothing else looks broken.

Question is, should I even bother repairing it? I have a return request in to the seller but if you all think it’s a minor fix, I might try to do it myself or have a shop do it. I don’t have a quote anywhere yet but looks like I will have to ship to a technics dealer to repair. What are the chances of anything internal being wrong with the motor?

Attachments

• IMG_6996.jpeg
    IMG_6996.jpeg
    545.7 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_6995.jpeg
    IMG_6995.jpeg
    548.4 KB · Views: 5
Hoping someone can help! Just purchased a used Technics SL-100C off eBay and unfortunately the seller did not pack it correctly. Basically just threw TT in a box without locking the tonearm or removing the platter. Anyway, I opened it up and the center spindle is completely sheared off. Additionally, the tonearm portion that rests on the lift is broken. Now that I can probably solve with super glue. The spindle I’m not so sure about. Nothing else looks broken.

Question is, should I even bother repairing it? I have a return request in to the seller but if you all think it’s a minor fix, I might try to do it myself or have a shop do it. I don’t have a quote anywhere yet but looks like I will have to ship to a technics dealer to repair. What are the chances of anything internal being wrong with the motor?
Ouch!

Bummer. Return it. I don't think you can even buy technics parts for the tonearm.
But I could be wrong.

This site may be worth a quick look, but may not do anything for the 100C.

The cost and time to repair will likely be higher than what you paid; reputable shops can charge upward of US$100 per hour before parts. So, the likely total expense can rival or exceed the cost of well-cared-for alternate. Personally, I advise to never buy a used turntable off eBay and have it shipped. If you must buy there, pick it up in person.

I really wouldn’t have thought of buying off eBay used but it was $450 and all the pics showed the TT in good condition so I jumped on it. Pretty sure it was a pawn or thrift shop sell. Retails for around $1k so if I can come out ahead getting even what they would consider “factory refurbished” I’d be happy. Like I said, I have a return request in and that’s what I’m going to do unless seller gives me a substantial refund and lets me keep the table.

Return accepted so it’s going back and I don’t have to deal with the headache. Side note, I really liked the turntable outside it being broken. Everything seemed so much nicer compared to my LP120. Any turntables I should be considering in that $500-1000 that would rival or perhaps better the Technics? I’d prefer to have a direct drive TT without internal preamp that’s capable of playing the occasional 78 rpm record. I’d also like the option of removeable cables too. I really like my AT VM540ML cart. I have a Darlington labs MM5A preamp that I’d consider moving up the line too.

Return accepted so it’s going back and I don’t have to deal with the headache. Side note, I really liked the turntable outside it being broken. Everything seemed so much nicer compared to my LP120. Any turntables I should be considering in that $500-1000 that would rival or perhaps better the Technics? I’d prefer to have a direct drive TT without internal preamp that’s capable of playing the occasional 78 rpm record. I’d also like the option of removeable cables too. I really like my AT VM540ML cart. I have a Darlington labs MM5A preamp that I’d consider moving up the line too.

I’d be looking at a new version of it from Amazon, they got an exclusivity deal on distributing it, or maybe the u-turn orbit theory. The project debut pro is also meant to be nice in that bracket. Outside this and the pioneer plx-1000 you’re really looking for more money in the dd sphere.

I bought my wife a 100c a few months ago and it has been an absolute gem. I have some long-term concerns about the durability of the cue lever, but apart from that it feels built like a tank and it measures bang-on perfect.

I bought my wife a 100c a few months ago and it has been an absolute gem. I have some long-term concerns about the durability of the cue lever, but apart from that it feels built like a tank and it measures bang-on perfect.
Yeah the plastic parts of it are definitely a concern but it’s a part of the TT I’m normally very careful with anyway.

I really wouldn’t have thought of buying off eBay used but it was $450 and all the pics showed the TT in good condition so I jumped on it. Pretty sure it was a pawn or thrift shop sell. Retails for around $1k so if I can come out ahead getting even what they would consider “factory refurbished” I’d be happy. Like I said, I have a return request in and that’s what I’m going to do unless seller gives me a substantial refund and lets me keep the table.
I have a Project Debut Carbon Eco w/ a Moonstone stylus. It's in your price range and will be a nice upgrade of the LP120. I've had it for about 3 years and had no problems with it. If you prefer direct drive I'd get a new Technics 100c. Those seem like solid decks.

I’d be looking at a new version of it from Amazon, they got an exclusivity deal on distributing it, or maybe the u-turn orbit theory. The project debut pro is also meant to be nice in that bracket. Outside this and the pioneer plx-1000 you’re really looking for more money in the dd sphere.
The PLX-1000 is not a bad option at all in the under $1000 price range. I used one as a second table for several years. The weakness of the PLX-1000 was that the tonearm was not as resonance free as I preferred, but I doubt the 100c tonearm is significantly better. I still recommend it to friends who are getting their first upgrade turntable.

Edit: To put the tonearm comment in perspective, a few years ago when Jelco was producing separate tonearms, a 9” model could easily match the cost of the entire PLX-1000 package.

Last edited:
Back