For Fans Of... The Recommendation Thread

Hemotep

I couldn't find a thread like this. Mods feel free to delete if there is one.

This is a thread for solicited and unsolicited recommendations.

The Rules
  1. Post the genre/subgenre of your recommendation/request.
  2. List of three or more bands/albums whose fans you think would like your recommendation or are representative of what you are looking for.
  3. Include a streaming link if possible. Bandcamp or YouTube is preferable.
  4. Provide any other history or information about the music/band, what drew you to it, why you're digging it at the moment, etc.

I'm looking for recommendations for bands whose vocals are mostly spoken/poetry to music. I think this is in the same wheelhouse as Sprechgesang.

Having just listened to Omar Rodriguez Lopez & Lydia Lunch's album, she pretty much just rants over his funky music but it works really well for me. I also picked up Janaka Stucky's Ascend Ascend which is poetry set to music. Butthole Surfers' Pepper also comes to mind as a more well known example. But I'd like to listen to more bands that make good use of this style. A lot of the post-punk in recent years that kind of does the spoken/shouted vocals isn't really my bag though.

I'm looking for recommendations for bands whose vocals are mostly spoken/poetry to music. I think this is in the same wheelhouse as Sprechgesang.

Having just listened to Omar Rodriguez Lopez & Lydia Lunch's album, she pretty much just rants over his funky music but it works really well for me. I also picked up Janaka Stucky's Ascend Ascend which is poetry set to music. Butthole Surfers' Pepper also comes to mind as a more well known example. But I'd like to listen to more bands that make good use of this style. A lot of the post-punk in recent years that kind of does the spoken/shouted vocals isn't really my bag though.

Arab Strap?

This is maybe a little out of left field, or not exactly what you're after, but it's the first thing I thought of and is a long-time favorite of mine.

Ani DiFranco & Utah Phillips' "The Past Didn't Go Anywhere"

Unique in the Ani DiFranco discography, Ani's voice is barely heard on this album. I like her work but she can rub people the wrong way I suppose. Utah was a folkie storyteller of the old school; I don't know how he and Ani got to working together, but essentially he just mailed her tapes of his spoken word storytelling shows and she put music over some of them.

If there are two songs to recommend, I'd say "Bridges" and my personal favorite, "Holding On", but IMO the whole album is worthwhile.They have a second album, "Fellow Workers" which is good but to my taste this one is clearly the better of the two.

Paint your nails black and break out the clove cigarettes. I would recommend "Larkspur and Lazarus", "Chewing on Shadows" or "A Gothic Lovesong". Might be too moody and gothic for your needs but if you're into it I can recommend a few more (not all their discography is like this)

Paint your nails black and break out the clove cigarettes. I would recommend "Larkspur and Lazarus", "Chewing on Shadows" or "A Gothic Lovesong". Might be too moody and gothic for your needs but if you're into it I can recommend a few more (not all their discography is like this)

I like moody and gothic, so looking forward to checking this out!

This is maybe a little out of left field, or not exactly what you're after, but it's the first thing I thought of and is a long-time favorite of mine.

Ani DiFranco & Utah Phillips' "The Past Didn't Go Anywhere"

Unique in the Ani DiFranco discography, Ani's voice is barely heard on this album. I like her work but she can rub people the wrong way I suppose. Utah was a folkie storyteller of the old school; I don't know how he and Ani got to working together, but essentially he just mailed her tapes of his spoken word storytelling shows and she put music over some of them.

If there are two songs to recommend, I'd say "Bridges" and my personal favorite, "Holding On", but IMO the whole album is worthwhile.They have a second album, "Fellow Workers" which is good but to my taste this one is clearly the better of the two.

Phenomenal album. I really want this to get a vinyl pressing.

This absolutely is making me want a clove cigarette. Would be a great album to walk around at night in a snow storm. I used to love doing that when I lived in Boulder. Usually I'd listen to Port O'Brien or Jóhann Jóhannsson (especially Fordlandia), but this would be fantastic in that environment. Maybe with a little flask of whiskey.

This absolutely is making me want a clove cigarette. Would be a great album to walk around at night in a snow storm. I used to love doing that when I lived in Boulder. Usually I'd listen to Port O'Brien or Jóhann Jóhannsson (especially Fordlandia), but this would be fantastic in that environment. Maybe with a little flask of whiskey.
you may enjoy "all the pretty little horses". note that there are two versions of the title track, the 2nd of which is sung by nick cave

I've never listened to Fred again... but seeing the list of collaborators on his upcoming album has me curious.

In a nutshell, how would you describe his music? Like Disclosure or Jamie XX in the way they have multiple collaborators on different songs? Would this upcoming album be the best place to jump in for me?

I've never listened to Fred again... but seeing the list of collaborators on his upcoming album has me curious.

In a nutshell, how would you describe his music? Like Disclosure or Jamie XX in the way they have multiple collaborators on different songs? Would this upcoming album be the best place to jump in for me?
Similar to them. He collaborates frequently with Romy. If you liked her album, you’ll like his stuff. His USB album just came out last week. I’d take a listen to that somewhere.

His three “real life” albums are more unstructured but there are some gems in there.

“Marea (We’ve lost dancing)” is great. Marea is also known as Blessed Madonna. She makes some killer remixes.

Last edited:

Back