Revisiting old gear… (Sell or Keep?)

mindhead1

I haven’t listened to my RSL CG25 speakers in at least 2 years. My Triangle Comete and Buchardt s400 mkII have been my go to speakers during that time. Thus, I thought in order to clear out some space and get some cash for new (or new to me ) gear I thought I’d sell the CG25 and maybe my RSL 10s subs as well since I haven’t used them much since getting the s400 mkII.

After getting the CG25 out of storage I decided to hook them up and give them them a listen before parting with them. Well now I’m not sure I’m willing to let them go. I hooked them up to my Willsenton R8 (w/ recently upgraded NOS tubes) and man do they sound good. Thick, warm midrange with nice controlled low end and nice sound stage. The dual subs filling things out nicely. The CG25 are a warm sounding speaker and don’t have the high end energy and detail of the Comete or s400 mkII, but the treble is pleasing and provides a good amount of detail. I’ve been listening to 60’s era jazz from Miles, Coltrane, Kenny Burrell, Grant Green, Oscar Peterson, Horace Silver, Dexter Gordon, and Bill Evans today and it’ll sounds fantastic.

I was also considering putting the R8 up for sale, but the loss of my Kinki Studio amp from a lightening strike put it back in the full time rotation and with the NOS tubes upgrade it sounds wonderful with all my speakers.So I’m definetly holding onto it for a while longer.

Anyone else have the sell or keep dilemma or is it just me?

I haven’t listened to my RSL CG25 speakers in at least 2 years. My Triangle Comete and Buchardt s400 mkII have been my go to speakers during that time. Thus, I thought in order to clear out some space and get some cash for new (or new to me ) gear I thought I’d sell the CG25 and maybe my RSL 10s subs as well since I haven’t used them much since getting the s400 mkII.

After getting the CG25 out of storage I decided to hook them up and give them them a listen before parting with them. Well now I’m not sure I’m willing to let them go. I hooked them up to my Willsenton R8 (w/ recently upgraded NOS tubes) and man do they sound good. Thick, warm midrange with nice controlled low end and nice sound stage. The dual subs filling things out nicely. The CG25 are a warm sounding speaker and don’t have the high end energy and detail of the Comete or s400 mkII, but the treble is pleasing and provides a good amount of detail. I’ve been listening to 60’s era jazz from Miles, Coltrane, Kenny Burrell, Grant Green, Oscar Peterson, Horace Silver, Dexter Gordon, and Bill Evans today and it’ll sounds fantastic.

I was also considering putting the R8 up for sale, but the loss of my Kinki Studio amp from a lightening strike put it back in the full time rotation and with the NOS tubes upgrade it sounds wonderful with all my speakers.So I’m definetly holding onto it for a while longer.

+1 here too. My wife laid down the law and said "sell one, get one. not asking." What makes this so hard is I am a huge estate sale - electronics guy. I have a pair of old Allison Model 1's that I can hardly move physically that must go.

I used to, but ever since consolidating down to one system it's been pretty much if it's not being used somewhere, it's finding a new home. Do I miss/wish I could infinitely store some of my favorite pieces, yes, but it's not practical for me at this point. Picking up favorite carts is one thing, favorite speakers/amps/TT? You just watch them collect dust, which makes me crazy, lol.

All that said, I have thought about bringing back a second TT just to run a mono cart through the internal phono of the M5, but it's an idea just simmering at the moment, so who knows if I'll actually pull the trigger on any of this.

I used to, but ever since consolidating down to one system it's been pretty much if it's not being used somewhere, it's finding a new home. Do I miss/wish I could infinitely store some of my favorite pieces, yes, but it's not practical for me at this point. Picking up favorite carts is one thing, favorite speakers/amps/TT? You just watch them collect dust, which makes me crazy, lol.

All that said, I have thought about bringing back a second TT just to run a mono cart through the internal phono of the M5, but it's an idea just simmering at the moment, so who knows if I'll actually pull the trigger on any of this.
You are living the dream. 1 system! I think I’m working to that point. All this gear churn over the last 5 years has me understanding better what I like and don’t like. I have a few more things I want to try in the speaker realm, but feel like I’m coming to an end point in terms of electronics. A tube preamp for my Class D power amp my prove to be the missing link I’m looking for on the electronics front.

Kind of a related side question - how many games consoles do you still have? Kept all your old Xboxes?
Good question - I gotta start off here, I was in a retro Cafe In Wrexham, which had a tonne of old consoles and realised I have a load. I think it was called Retrograde. Young lads started it up, fair play to them.
Commodore 64 in its original box in Attic
Spectrum 128k with a tonne of games. And dodgy knock offs after quickly working out you could record your mates with a double tape deck haha.
Amiga - but very glitchy last time I checked years ago
- shoutout to Super Cars II Cannon Fodder and Syndicate. Was Bills tomato game on here, so simple yet addictive

Bit of a jump in quality now as Sega arrived :
MegaDrive
I then Went down Nintendo route.
Game Cube
Wii
Switch
Alas I play less and less often now.

On a slightly related note, I was worried on a few fronts when convinced both my tweeters had blown on my Castle Severn II speakers I love. Weirdly I couldn’t tell though.
So …..
Are my ears really so bad, what’s the point in having nice gear.
Could I repair or source replacements. I didn’t want to change speakers unless I had to.

So it turns out I’d gotten rusty and lazy with my set up knowledge, I’d stopped Bi- wiring when I moved my setup up as realised entirely no point in it, Anyhow I couldn’t isolate the tweeter anymore unless I took out the terminal Links, Doh. So I was just turning off the tweeters when trying. As soon as I took off the links and tested the tweeters were fine. Phewwwwww.

Although maybe I do now want modern speakers……What’s wrong with me.

Kind of a related side question - how many games consoles do you still have? Kept all your old Xboxes?
Ooooh, that's a different story, lol.

I still have:
ColecoVision
Atari 2600
NES
Nintendo 64
GameCube
Wii
Sega Genesis
TurboGrafx-16
Dreamcast
Original Xbox x3 - OG, Modded and a Halo Edition
Xbox 360
Xbox 360S
Xbox One

And a smattering of handhelds, lol. The only ones connected and in use are my Xbox One and the modded Xbox, the rest are packed away.
20241002_042706.jpg

I still have:
ColecoVision
Atari 2600
NES
Nintendo 64
GameCube
Wii
Sega Genesis
TurboGrafx-16
Dreamcast
Xbox 360
Xbox 360S
Xbox One

And a smattering of handhelds, lol. The only ones connected and in use are my Xbox One and the modded Xbox, the rest are packed away.
View attachment 215032
OOOOOH Atari - apart form individual smaller arcade games like Space invaders. Pac Man etc i got for xmas. The Atari was the first console i ever played - At a friends house. Was so new and exciting, i could play for hours, A random driving game comes to mind, racing friend on those little joysticks. a racing track on "ice" is a recall. Was obsessed, a totally new innovation in childrens toys !

I still have:
ColecoVision
Atari 2600
NES
Nintendo 64
GameCube
Wii
Sega Genesis
TurboGrafx-16
Dreamcast
Xbox 360
Xbox 360S
Xbox One

View attachment 215032
Good to know it's not just me! Regret getting rid of a bunch of my old systems, and I've bought a couple of them back again!

Amiga 500 & 1200
Playstation 2,3,4,5, Vita
Dreamcast
Gamecube, Switch, SNES Classic, Gameboy, GBA, DSx2
Xbox Series S

Tempted to buy another Wii, and I fancy a Saturn as well. Possibly a Mister FPGA instead!

I still have:
ColecoVision
Atari 2600
NES
Nintendo 64
GameCube
Wii
Sega Genesis
TurboGrafx-16
Dreamcast
Xbox 360
Xbox 360S
Xbox One

View attachment 215032
I still have my Sega game gear lying around somewhere. Found my SNES in my basement yesterday in a box with tons of games

Good to know it's not just me! Regret getting rid of a bunch of my old systems, and I've bought a couple of them back again!

Amiga 500 & 1200
Playstation 2,3,4,5, Vita
Dreamcast
Gamecube, Switch, SNES Classic, Gameboy, GBA, DSx2
Xbox Series S

Tempted to buy another Wii, and I fancy a Saturn as well. Possibly a Mister FPGA instead!
Too many temptation because I have too many "parked" hobbies, every trip to a resale shop is a test in self control, lol

Good question - I gotta start off here, I was in a retro Cafe In Wrexham, which had a tonne of old consoles and realised I have a load. I think it was called Retrograde. Young lads started it up, fair play to them.
Commodore 64 in its original box in Attic
Spectrum 128k with a tonne of games. And dodgy knock offs after quickly working out you could record your mates with a double tape deck haha.
Amiga - but very glitchy last time I checked years ago
- shoutout to Super Cars II Cannon Fodder and Syndicate. Was Bills tomato game on here, so simple yet addictive

Bit of a jump in quality now as Sega arrived :
MegaDrive
I then Went down Nintendo route.
Game Cube
Wii
Switch
Alas I play less and less often now.
I bought a floppy disk drive and an action replay cartridge for my C64. Meant I could borrow games from the library and copy them to disk!

Glasgow also had a market that was full of pirate games sellers, so I had two business briefcases full of games. Explains why I have such a short attention span…

I bought a floppy disk drive and an action replay cartridge for my C64. Meant I could borrow games from the library and copy them to disk!

Glasgow also had a market that was full of pirate games sellers, so I had two business briefcases full of games. Explains why I have such a short attention span…
I recall some games that i would buy new for spectrum that wouldn't load, id copy them and then they worked !
So many shit games for Commodore / Spectrum, and so many of them entirely impossible to complete. no expectation of doing it.

Back