shipping a lot of records overseas...

bornard

hey team...may be moving a some of my collection (300-400 records) across the pacific and wanted advice/anecdotes/etc if anyone had done this in the past.

the last time I moved any records I fedexed about 150 records from Singapore to the US in 3 boxes that I double boxed...but was pretty exy....

hey team...may be moving a some of my collection (300-400 records) across the pacific and wanted advice/anecdotes/etc if anyone had done this in the past.

the last time I moved any records I fedexed about 150 records from Singapore to the US in 3 boxes that I double boxed...but was pretty exy....

I'm not moving yet. But I looked into how to get that amount or more from the US to New Zealand. It seemed like the best bet was a shipping container. It takes a good while to get to you however.

I relocated last year (across the Atlantic not the pacific) with ~400 records and other household items. I used a relocating company that was in charge of booking the moving company to pack everything, ship everything in a container and book a moving company on the other side to unload to my new home. It took 3-4 month to have everything delivered to Europe. However I would not recommend this company as the moving company they hired did not a great job at packing stuff (nothing broken but some damages because they overcrowded the boxes and jammed some items in them). I actually did the record packing myself using the provided boxes, making sure to protect them well with bubble wrap. If you were to go that route, make sure the moving company they hire has a good reputation and not just 3 people renting a truck and improving themselves movers. The movers on the French side unloading the truck actually commented on how bad a job they did at packing (basically not using proper boxes for packing my stuff).
Good luck, I know it is pretty daunting.

We moved all our possessions from the UK to Oz, so we booked a full 20ft container. Had about 600 records in there.

I’m shipping about 30 records a year from Glasgow to Melbourne and my local record shop organises the shipping for me.

thanks for the inputs...what was timing like? any damage from warping, etc?
No damage at all, actually, all good. I shipped mine at the start of July and they arrived in October/November with no issues. I was planning on using the Really Useful boxes to ship my records, but I bought the 42 litre ones, and they were too heavy. These 35 litre ones are the sones used at record fairs and the like. My shipping company just used normal cardboard boxes with a bit of padding inside and I was all good.

No damage at all, actually, all good. I shipped mine at the start of July and they arrived in October/November with no issues. I was planning on using the Really Useful boxes to ship my records, but I bought the 42 litre ones, and they were too heavy. These 35 litre ones are the sones used at record fairs and the like. My shipping company just used normal cardboard boxes with a bit of padding inside and I was all good.

thanks...ive done that move to Oz myself...its daunting for sure, but if there's a country I miss living in its Oz (except the records there are expensive and in pretty bad nick...)

Back