Speaker Recommendations?

THEEDADROCK.BLOG

Santa Extraordinaire
Looking to separate my audio setup from my home theater and will need a pair of speakers for the HiFi.

In an ideal world I'd get a pair of JBL L100 MkII, but not looking to splash that kind of cash.

Any recommendations for a pair of similarly performing speakers in the same size range with a traditional/midcentury wood cabinet? Can be new or vintage models.

Looking to separate my audio setup from my home theater and will need a pair of speakers for the HiFi.

In an ideal world I'd get a pair of JBL L100 MkII, but not looking to splash that kind of cash.

Any recommendations for a pair of similarly performing speakers in the same size range with a traditional/midcentury wood cabinet? Can be new or vintage models.
There's a bunch of us here with the Wharfedale Lintons and we already have a thread. Can usually get them for 1,500 to 1,700 with the stands.

Great looking and great sounding.

They sound better with the grilles off anyway :)
d3mlE7uhX8KFgEmY.webp

As for vintage, how about the Klipsch KG-4.2? @Hemotep has a pair. May be hard to find, though.

Closing a loop, found the aformentioned ASR results on grill/no grill:

A few db "gap" between on and off for much of the frequency range

Closing a loop, found the aformentioned ASR results on grill/no grill:

A few db "gap" between on and off for much of the frequency range
What does that actually translate to into the human experience? That is, a measurement isn't what does the listening. A few db gap is about at the threshold for human ears.

What does that actually translate to into the human experience? That is, a measurement isn't what does the listening. A few db gap is about at the threshold for human ears.
As the poster states, you lose a little "presence" in the midrange and highs, which is more or less what I experience with the grills on vs off. It isn't a night and day dramatic shift, but it's certainly different. Unlike ASR, I'm not going to posit which is better based on a graph and will isntead leave that up to the listener.

Back