The Official Needles and Grooves 1001 Album Generator Project (aka Preachin’ about the Preachers if todays selection sucks)

All I’m saying at this point is it is weird. I’m only on the third song and they’ve managed to sound like a parody of themselves, the Moody blues, Neil Diamond, and that weird 60’s British psychedlia.

Song four and their on to Byrds style Country

Evidently they almost broke up making this album.

8/5/24
View attachment 210445
The Streets - A Grand Don’t Come for Free

This album is fantastic. When Mike Skinner’s debut, Original Pirated Material dropped it really didn’t click with me but AGDCFF really hit home. As a concept album it works great but the singles ”Fit But You Know It” and “Blinded By The Light” were excellent too. The latter in particular is such a relatable story, being young and fucked up at the club, the drugs causing him to spiral into paranoia and jealousy. “Dry Your Eyes” is such a beautifully sad song. It’s nice to see a record like this on the list.

Finally listened last night.
8/2/24
View attachment 210193
Bee Gees - Odessa

Innocuous, and forgettable. The first song was a slog that had me preparing the worst for the remainder. However, the album is surprisingly listenable as a passive experience with a few tracks I didn't mind. Kinda like The Moody Blues or The Band but worse. Plenty of nondescript balladry.
Don't expect to be dancing.

Rating: 2/5 [Mediocre]

This is one of those reasons I like this whole shebang. It gives me a reason to visit some of this stuff. I listened to this album in 2023, 1 time. Don’t really remember it. It might have been part of the previous thread or it may have very well just been me listening to it randomly at work one night for whatever reason.

This is one of those reasons I like this whole shebang. It gives me a reason to visit some of this stuff. I listened to this album in 2023, 1 time. Don’t really remember it. It might have been part of the previous thread or it may have very well just been me listening to it randomly at work one night for whatever reason.
Justice reminds me of a more brooding Daft Punk. This albums is good but “D.A.N.C.E.” is a masterpiece. The song consists of samples of a children’s choirs singing Michael Jackson songs.

The biggest issue with the album overall is nothing else comes close to that level of joyous revelry. It’s vibe feels a bit out of place.

Back