Vinyl Me Please (store, exclusives, swaps, etc)

VMP still hasnt got to the bottom of my packages being sent to the incorrect address.

I lucked out in that my previous box was rejected by the owners of the incorrect address (for a second time) but they pointed out that the postcode was wrong and scribbled down the correct one.

I told VMP all of this again (its been going on for months) and after 3 weeks they then replied to my chaser email to say they haven't got to the bottom of it.

Craziness.

VMP still hasnt got to the bottom of my packages being sent to the incorrect address.

I lucked out in that my previous box was rejected by the owners of the incorrect address (for a second time) but they pointed out that the postcode was wrong and scribbled down the correct one.

I told VMP all of this again (its been going on for months) and after 3 weeks they then replied to my chaser email to say they haven't got to the bottom of it.

Craziness.
Relax, their best people are on it.
chimpanzee-pan-troglodytes-dressed-and-trained-to-do-like-humans-reading-a-book-MFP6AB.jpg

SOOO Overpriced. They average ~$55 for any 2 LP album and ~40 for any single LP album. So for 5 albums bought separately you'd expect to pay ~$260, but they jack it up by $70-$110 because of a 20 page booklet and an additional box? FOH.
I don’t think you can count the book. An AOTM cost $36 period and comes with a ten page book. Even if they are doing a hard bind (which they aren’t), I can’t imagine the 20 page book costs more then 5 ten page books.

I do know this, it probably cost significantly more per unit to print 750 than 5000. Print to order and smaller pressings will cost us more.

Discord quickly went into this is great and the price is justified mode. I got told we should compare it to VMP prices and double LPs don’t cost $50. Wtaf?

One thing is to spend $50 on a record you really want and another is to spend $350 on an meh Anthology. I might have purchase Scarface for $50 but I am never gonna waste that amount of money for this box.

Discord quickly went into this is great and the price is justified mode. I got told we should compare it to VMP prices and double LPs don’t cost $50. Wtaf?
If they just put those LPs out by themselves as break out releases they would have a tough time moving those titles at that price point. I think they might be able to get away with it for Vince Staples just because I think he was charging like $50 for a picture disc previously but that would be about it.

And that doesn’t even get to the much more nitpicking issue of calling this an Anthology of DefJam and then not choosing any iconic Def Jam titles to be included within the set. Only including albums from 1990 or later is a weird way to go.

Also Cam’Ron’s Come Home With Me was released by Roc-a-fella Records, not Def Jam.

They couldn’t even choose 5 Def Jam albums?

WTF?

If they just put those LPs out by themselves as break out releases they would have a tough time moving those titles at that price point. I think they might be able to get away with it for Vince Staples just because I think he was charging like $50 for a picture disc previously but that would be about it.

And that doesn’t even get to the much more nitpicking issue of calling this an Anthology of DefJam and then not choosing any iconic Def Jam titles to be included within the set. Only including albums from 1990 or later is a weird way to go.

Also Cam’Ron’s Come Home With Me was released by Roc-a-fella Records, not Def Jam.

They couldn’t even choose 5 Def Jam albums?

WTF?

We'll never know what was the deal with Def Jam but VMP released plenty of DJ records and most are way better and iconic than the ones they picked for this box.

I received my round 2 mystery/damage box yesterday and am very pleased with the results.

Method Man Tical (no hype sticker)
Hiss Golden Messenger Quietly Blowing It (no shrinkwrap/plastic sleeve)
Ayelet Mesfin Hasabe (no OBI)
The Soulful Strings The Miracle of Christmas (no problem I can see other than stamped #2048 out of a listed 2000)
Fleetwood Mac Tango in the Night (seem split on top of jacket)
Rosanne Cash The Wheel (nothing noticeably wrong)
Madlib Shades of Blue (significant jacket bend bottom right)
Christina Aguillera Stripped (crumple/bend top right)
Miles Davis Star People (plastic sleeve fully split open on right, no jacket damage)
CeeLo Green Perfect Imperfections (no noticeable damage)
Jason Isbell Southeastern (sticker is crumpled a little)
Labelle Nightbirds (no problems)

A few are ones I had considered getting, and only one I already had (Davis). The Davis, Aguillera, and Green will be up for trade or PIF, but the rest I consider keepers.

Attachments

• 1000003959.jpg
    1000003959.jpg
    765.7 KB · Views: 11
We'll never know what was the deal with Def Jam but VMP released plenty of DJ records and most are way better and iconic than the ones they picked for this box.
i think sometimes they are limited by licensing and rights of course. but they also seem to try to tell untold stories of labels which in theory can be good, but not for that price point. i get that there is probably nothing left to say about Jay Z, Beastie Boys, etc.....there will never be a "the story of" that everyone will agree on the titles for and they can actually get the rights for. part of why i hate the branding/naming. i have liked quite a few of the anthologies but really hope they don't go this route for future ones.

i think sometimes they are limited by licensing and rights of course. but they also seem to try to tell untold stories of labels which in theory can be good, but not for that price point. i get that there is probably nothing left to say about Jay Z, Beastie Boys, etc.....there will never be a "the story of" that everyone will agree on the titles for and they can actually get the rights for. part of why i hate the branding/naming. i have liked quite a few of the anthologies but really hope they don't go this route for future ones.
Like I said, the only story they are telling here is the one Def Jam let them tell. If it’s the untold story then EPMD and PE don’t belong. Know what I’m saying.

The problem was never that the branding was bad, it’s that they never fully committed to it. It’s easy to say the “untold” stories didn’t sell, but then the hype machine never matched for those titles.

Like I said, the only story they are telling here is the one Def Jam let them tell. If it’s the untold story then EPMD and PE don’t belong. Know what I’m saying.

The problem was never that the branding was bad, it’s that they never fully committed to it. It’s easy to say the “untold” stories didn’t sell, but then the hype machine never matched for those titles.
i don't think the branding is preventing it from selling, but just like with "Lost Sounds Found", "Essentials" and all the other VMP catchphrases, it's just bad marketing and invites a lot of criticism unnecessarily.

i don't think the branding is preventing it from selling, but just like with "Lost Sounds Found", "Essentials" and all the other VMP catchphrases, it's just bad marketing and invites a lot of criticism unnecessarily.
I was saying their crutch is “lost sounds” don’t sell. Not necessarily this.

This will sell out, which ultimately is all they care about and despite the criticisms, means we will see more.

New thing.

Back