Would you sell it all for the high discogs value???

bornard

even though my collection has about 10% without any recent price history (and most are valuable)...the very simple answer...

fuck yes.

take it all...even though I still buy, id even throw in the 'guru and my VPI cleaner

a close up of a woman 's face with the word yeah visible

Sold off the bulk of my collection in my 20s and I wish I hadn't (didn't have a choice, needed to eat). So no, I wouldn't. My collection high is also only 16k so unlike you guys it's not as much "life changing" money.

even though my collection has about 10% without any recent price history (and most are valuable)...the very simple answer...

fuck yes.

take it all...even though I still buy, id even throw in the 'guru and my VPI cleaner
I think it depends on the value and your situation. Mine's sitting at $80k, not pennies, it could take care of some small financial hangers on, lol, but not life changing by any means. That said, If I was sitting at @LeeVing's dollar amount...........................how can I help you pack, lol

Guessing they mean selling everything individually on Cogs.

How'd you make out with your sale? Decent percentage?
yeah, high discogs is full retail on best conditions, so even if your collection was equal on condition, you're never getting retail unless your selling individually...but if really equal on condition thought maybe median was possible, especially if rare stuff, not just high prices on everyday albums

yeah - it's all just wishful thinking.

My collection is no where close to actually being worth $300k.

There are just so many outliers and just odd things that happen with that value figure. There is no way my copy of "Kiss - Love Gun" is worth $875.00

it's probably not even worth $8 dollars...and there are so many just like this.

Thrift store copy of Johnny Cash - At Folsom Prison - $660.00
OG 1996 Rage Against The Machine - Evil Empire - $1,320.00
"RL" Led Zeppelin II - $2,417.58
Metallica - Metallica -$1,358.59

If I can get $659 extra dollars for a copy of At Folsom Prison I'll just about do anything. Everything else just essentially pays for itself if I want to re-buy it.

I did look some of these sales up - so they aren't the random signed sleeve or anything too special...some are "sealed", but are more likely just there to bump up prices. Not that these one time big sales really change what a median value is, though. It would change the average price if Discogs calculated it...but it really wouldn't change the middle price.

The Discogs Enhancer chrome extension does have a setting to add the average price to the submission -

Screenshot 2024-08-19 203923.jpg

Last edited:

There are just so many outliers and just odd things that happen with that value figure. There is no way my copy of "Kiss - Love Gun" is worth $875.00

If I can get $659 extra dollars for a copy of At Folsom Prison I'll just about do anything. Everything else just essentially pays for itself if I want to re-buy it.

I did look some of these sales up - so they aren't the random signed sleeve or anything too special...some are "sealed", but are more likely just there to bump up prices. Not that these one time big sales really change what a median value is, though. It would change the average price if Discogs calculated it...but it really wouldn't change the middle price.

The Discogs Enhancer chrome extension does have a setting to add the average price to the submission -

View attachment 211572
exactly this...my collection is 55-60% Japanese pressings bought in Japan so I have lots of rarer stuff that doesn't show so much variation between low and high, and focused on jazz and soul/r&b where anything that isn't like private press super rare has a more steady appreciation - but if you've got rarer stuff you can pitch it out - when I sold all my CDs about 7 years ago I was able to talk to a few dealers...my three blind mice collection has appreciated nicely and would likely fetch near discogs high, so I think its all part of the negotiation....but I'm not talking myself into selling ;-)

View attachment 211572
Discogs is just my cataloging system and very rarely purchase anything, but it would be so easy for them to add more context to each sale so that the pricing data would be that much richer (maybe they provide this to big sellers so they can match the dynamics) - it would take a few key strokes to show the costs by condition, region, etc...that would actually make the data more valuable to consumers to make more informed choices, but then again, when a platform is free, the user is the product....so I get what I pay for...

Back