Political Discussion

That's not what I'm proposing. Forgive the cobwebs but iirc Trump did this sort of dance last election and it was floated that Biden would get to use the TV time to host a town hall, answer questions, and basically get free reign to bring his platform to undecided voters. Per wikipedia, Equal Time means the networks need to give candidates equivalent access, so I imagine that'd just open the door for a programming block of unfettered Don.

They’ve both done townhalls on cable. Both Trump and Biden have done them on CNN over the past 4 years. Trump has done several on Fox News as well, if I remember correctly.

Last election cycle both sides had initially agreed to three debates, but one was cancelled due to Covid and Trump flirted with the idea of backing out last minute of another but ultimately showed up. I think in that instance since the event was already scheduled, the idea was floated of Biden going alone if Trumped did back out but it never happened.

To your larger point, I believe equal time would apply if they decided to host a town hall for one of the candidates.

I am not going to pretend that there isn’t a housing crisis (especially on the west coast) but I hate these types of videos. They are used as propaganda in the urban/rural culture war. Posts like this are used to paint cities like Oakland, Chicago, LA, San Francisco, Philadelphia, Detroit, Portland, Seattle, etc. as lawless unlivable hellscapes. Cities of all shapes and sizes need to do a better job of making housing affordable for everyone but most a cities skid rows are hardly representative of the city as a whole. For example, here is a video of what your average Oakland Neighborhood actually looks like…

Last edited:
Has anyone here ever volunteered to do a canvassing event before? I wanna get more politically active especially since I live in a battleground state now so tomorrow is my first event! Kinda nervous but also super excited
I did when I lived in Illinois in 2008. It’s was not a battleground state but it was in a very purple part of a very blue state. It was fun. You get to meet other politically minded people and provide local voters with information about your candidate. I am sure there are some creeps out there but I was lucky and never came across any.

Didn’t realize you had left Cali hope all is well in your new state.

I did when I lived in Illinois in 2008. It’s was not a battleground state but it was in a very purple part of a very blue state. It was fun. You get to meet other politically minded people and provide local voters with information about your candidate. I am sure there are some creeps out there but I was lucky and never came across any.

Didn’t realize you had left Cali hope all is well in your new state.

I never lived in cali lol. I lived in South NJ and I moved to Pa in October. I am loving it here though!

I imagine doing it in 2008 and Illinois must have been a very different vibe to doing it in 2024 and PA lol. I am excited to meet some like minded people because I am feeling very passionate and I don’t know anyone here

Back