Arrakis? More like Ar-ROCK-is! The April 2024 Record-Spinning Challenge Thread

29 - Water of Life: Play something where an artist leveled up in some way.

OutKast - ATLiens

I think their debut is really good. But then they turned around and made one of the greatest hip-hop albums of all time. And then they did it again two more times with Aquemini and Stankonia.

IMG_6480.jpeg

30 - Kwisatz Haderach: This powerful being is the product of centuries of planning and prophecy. Play an album that is the culmination of an artist's career.

Mastodon - Crack the Skye

While they continue to release albums, I think Crack the Skye is the perfect representation of their sound and their artistic peak.

IMG_6483.jpeg

28 - Emperor Shaddam IV: Play something by an artist that used to rule but has dropped off some.

New Order "Music Complete" (2015 Mute)
New Order wasn't quite as excellent after Technique. Some very good tracks here and there, but no album that met the quality of their 80's output. However, this particular album, their last to date and the first without Peter Hook, may in my opinion actually be their most consistent since the 80's.

IMG_1146.JPG

30 - Kwisatz Haderach: This powerful being is the product of centuries of planning and prophecy. Play an album that is the culmination of an artist's career.

I think while Prince released many excellent albums after this, the songs on this serve as a blueprint for the musical directions that followed, and definitely established him as an enigmatic musical prophet.

Prince ~ Purple Rain

IMG_7094.jpeg

29 - Water of Life: Play something where an artist leveled up in some way.

Beck "Odelay"
(1996 Geffen; 2016 club edition)
Beck levelled-up in a major way with this album. I saw him live shortly after this was released, at a 1,500 people venue - the now defunct Montreal Spectrum. Next time he played Montreal that same year was an arena show.

IMG_1147.JPG

Day 30: Kwisatz Haderach
This powerful being is the product of centuries of planning and prophecy. Play an album that is the culmination of an artist's career.

Sonic Youth - Daydream Nation
IMG_4281.jpeg

With a band like Sonic Youth which released 15 studio albums over their 30 years career, choosing a single album but really Daydream Nation is the record that sums up what they do as a band the best.

Thanks for running the Month @LeSamourai it’s been a blast. I actually went and saw Dune, Pt. 2 in the theater a few weeks ago and It really help this challenge make sense.

Looking forward to what @avecigrec will be unleashing tomorrow for the May Challenge.
Lurked this last two months as my listening room was getting ready, but in May…

1714509072164.gif

Great prompt, I could probably come up with several other records to play, but I think this is the one.

IMG_7933.JPG

Thank for running April @LeSamourai - loved the prompts!

Back