Books about music

Wow, a 404 book. Great to see them make it over the ocean. Decent wee Scottish indie publisher.

This one was mentioned in an article I was reading about the criminalization of rap lyrics and seemed quite interesting so I snapped it up, not realizing they've got a whole series of these. I was just now browsing the other titles and am very impressed with the diversity of subjects and titles in this Inklings series - I can see myself seeking out a goodly number of them. It seems kinda like academia meets 33 1/3 (in the best possible ways!) -- I'm interested to see how the quality will be across a few books in the series.

The biggest upside to the release of this one being delayed is that I accumulated $20 in credit at my local bookseller in the meanwhile, so my copy wound up being half-price!

View attachment 184508
@avecigrec I cant remember if I have mentioned this before, so apologies if I have. I was recently reminded of a great book from John Corbett. The majority of the book highlights rare avantgarde (for the most part, I seem to remember more straight ahead examples from the likes of Art Pepper included) jazz albums from his own record collection, but the part I think you would like is towards the latter half of the book. Somehow Corbett became involved in helping to clear out and collate a gigantic Sun Ra collection (records, outfits, books, scripture, etc) from the house of their "official" archivist. Its been several years since I read it but its left an impression, mainly for how excited Corbett clearly was about reminiscing about it.

As an added bonus, the copy that I have included a flexi disc reissue of a rare Sun Ra ep

Vinyl Freak: Love Letters to a Dying Medium book ← Cafe OTO

Just picked up this absolute brick from the mail today, The Beach Boys by The Beach Boys.
IMG_4929.jpeg
IMG_4928.jpeg
It’s more like a scrapbook than an actual biography but it’s a quality piece, the page stock is heavy, the cover is embossed, and the photos are beautiful. Even though it’s equal parts photos and text, at 400 pages; there is a lot to dig through.

Last edited:
Just picked got this absolute brick in the mail today, The Beach Boys by The Beach Boys
View attachment 204251
View attachment 204249
It’s more like a scrapbook than an actual biography but it’s a quality piece the page stock is heavy the cover is embossed and the photos are beautiful and even though it’s equal parts photos and text at 400 pages there is still a lot to dig through.
Seems like The Beatles Anthology book.

Back