Equipment Recommendations - The Home For New System and Upgrade Advice

Yeah admittedly I started at the Tannoy Stirling III LZ but they got so thoroughly savaged by reviewers that I read up on how everyone left Tannoy and started Fyne and then things started to make sense considering how similar the designs are.

Yeah Tannoy were bought out by an international conglomerate and while they kept some stuff in Scotland a lot of the design and build stuff was moved far east. The brains trust left and set up Fyne and with things like the dual concentric drivers and efficiency are singing from the same hymn sheet whilst probably embracing modern design and engineering ideas a bit more. Plus they’re based in the small ex mining town my dad is from that’s really suffered since the pits shut and that any success story there is something I’d want to support.

Last edited:
Yeah Tannoy were bought out by an international conglomerate and while they kept some stuff in Scotland a lot of the design and build stuff was moved far east. The brains trust left and set up Fyne and with things like the dual concentric drivers and efficiency are singing from the same hymn sheet whilst probably embracing modern design and engineering ideas a bit more. Plus they’re based in the small ex mining town my dad is from that’s really suffered since the pits shut that any success story there is something I’d want to support.
Now. I juuuust need to find like... $13,000 CAD lying around...

Any more thoughts on that?
Not really, the Levinson is still kinda in my back pocket but without being able to demo it I can't go ahead. In fact after listening to several systems in store that are leagues more expensive than mine, but to my ears sounded worse, I'm not sure how I can make a choice without being able to demo anything in my actual room. I'd be less concerned if I was moving up to something that still has room correction but that limits me to only a couple options. The Lyngdorf TDAI-3400 is still on the table in that regard but haven't yet heard it. I'm taking my time at any rate, don't really have the disposable funds to do anything about it right this moment anyhow...

Not really, the Levinson is still kinda in my back pocket but without being able to demo it I can't go ahead. In fact after listening to several systems in store that are leagues more expensive than mine, but to my ears sounded worse, I'm not sure how I can make a choice without being able to demo anything in my actual room. I'd be less concerned if I was moving up to something that still has room correction but that limits me to only a couple options. The Lyngdorf TDAI-3400 is still on the table in that regard but haven't yet heard it. I'm taking my time at any rate, don't really have the disposable funds to do anything about it right this moment anyhow...

That’s all fair enough! I’d still love for you to listen to tubes, even if just preamp ones with a solid state power stage, especially if you’re looking at high efficiency speaker down the line.

But you could get a phono with tubes (you already have an external). If I get tubes ever, that’s where they will be.

Honestly as much as I love my tube power amp if I was starting again I’d have solid state phono stage and power amp but a tube pre amp. Or a solid state phono with a hybrid like the PL Evo 300 hybrid integrated with the tubes in the pre stage. That’s where i feel they have the biggest impact.

Lord help me, I keep looking at the Fyne Classic X and XII and doing... calculations. I really dislike the look of their upper range (despite them sounding absolutely incredible) but these two... I really like these two...
View attachment 203422View attachment 203423
Speaking of “just looking”, I’ve been staring at the J Sikora Initial a lot lately. It would mean saving for a year or so, but ….

IMG_1979.jpeg
🤔

I’m not using my Margules, currently it’s just sitting in my storage room. If you pay for shipping you can try a hybrid integrated on a long term loan and see if you like tubes.
That's very kind of you and I appreciate the offer but it would be hundreds of dollars just for a one way trip and the possibility of it getting damaged is too much for my fragile constitution. But I do really appreciate the offer. I'm sure I can get someone to let me demo at home. I just have to beg and plead and like maybe show them my credit score but then also give them the deed to my house or something insignificant like that...

Back