Vinyl Me Please (store, exclusives, swaps, etc)

Gameboys are not calculators. I mean your avatar makes you look like a nerd, but you aren't.
It was great. Some nerd made a Tetris program for TI calculators and you could connect your TI calculator to someone else’s TI calculator and download the program from them. It was a great way with playing a video game in study hall under the guise of working on math.

I still don’t understand the nuance between dream pop and shoe gaze. Grunge is made up to market cool nineties bands to you. I have no earthly idea what math rock is.

dream pop has synths and is like holding hands with your first girlfriend at the fair, eating cotton candy.

shoe gaze has guitars and tears your face off, but you know, lovingly.

grunge started as hair metal but with different drugs (heroin and weed instead of coke and whisky) and became heavy metal with self-righteous condescension.

Math rock is prog rock that listened to heavy metal as a kid.

This is Swizz Beats' Long live Jazz sleeve, a record they ask $113/103 for.

View attachment 178580
Looks like someone at the warehouse got box cutter happy when opening the box from the plant and you won the lucky record! Saw this happen to people from Sound of Vinyl too. It’s stupid they sent this out but hopefully you get a replacement. People at the fulfillment center probably just don’t care.

I’ve gotten my share of damaged records from lots of places lately—seam splits and dinged jackets, etc. Plaidroom might be the only place I’ve never had a damaged record from. My last few orders from acoustic sounds had seam splits on every record and had to get replacements.

They definitely need to improve their boxes. Apparently they are working on it but I’ll believe it when I see it. That’s been the biggest cause for dinged and damaged jackets for me from them in the past. Seems like such a waste to constantly be shipping replacements.

Looks like someone at the warehouse got box cutter happy when opening the box from the plant and you won the lucky record! Saw this happen to people from Sound of Vinyl too. It’s stupid they sent this out but hopefully you get a replacement. People at the fulfillment center probably just don’t care.

I’ve gotten my share of damaged records from lots of places lately—seam splits and dinged jackets, etc. Plaidroom might be the only place I’ve never had a damaged record from. My last few orders from acoustic sounds had seam splits on every record and had to get replacements.

They definitely need to improve their boxes. Apparently they are working on it but I’ll believe it when I see it. That’s been the biggest cause for dinged and damaged jackets for me from them in the past. Seems like such a waste to constantly be shipping replacements.

This cut is something new to me and I agree someone just opened a box with a cutter and it cut the sleeve. Whoever did this probably thought the customer would accept that. I can't even blame VMP for this.

Though, I have damaged records every month and almost all of them are warped. I check visually every record I receive and play them on my tt to see if they are warped. Almost all VMP records are warped. Something rarely happens with records I purchase from other sellers. This is something I cannot explain. On a good point, I do not have too many damaged sleeves and have been happy (or lucky) with my shipments.

This cut is something new to me and I agree someone just opened a box with a cutter and it cut the sleeve. Whoever did this probably thought the customer would accept that. I can't even blame VMP for this.

Though, I have damaged records every month and almost all of them are warped. I check visually every record I receive and play them on my tt to see if they are warped. Almost all VMP records are warped. Something rarely happens with records I purchase from other sellers. This is something I cannot explain. On a good point, I do not have too many damaged sleeves and have been happy (or lucky) with my shipments.
I have mostly avoided warps from VMP so not entirely sure where the warps are happening. In the warehouse? At the plant? In transit? Last month 3/5 were warped for me but the package was way too tightly packed so thought maybe it was from that.....but it was the first time in maybe a year for me that I got a record with a warp that warranted a replacement. I do tend to only get 1 or 2 records in a package at a time from them so maybe that helps?

I'd love to know how/where these records get warped. Lots of people have different theories on it in general haha. The heat in the US certainly isn't helping right now.

I have mostly avoided warps from VMP so not entirely sure where the warps are happening. In the warehouse? At the plant? In transit? Last month 3/5 were warped for me but the package was way too tightly packed so thought maybe it was from that.....but it was the first time in maybe a year for me that I got a record with a warp that warranted a replacement. I do tend to only get 1 or 2 records in a package at a time from them so maybe that helps?

I'd love to know how/where these records get warped. Lots of people have different theories on it in general haha. The heat in the US certainly isn't helping right now.

I have absolutely no idea. I am in France so the journey is longer than for many of you.
As for theories, the only I have is for the Classics as they keep to put the booklet in the sleeve. Ffor the others, I have no idea. Being in Europe, many records I purchase are manufactured at GZ and I don't have the same amount of warps I have with VMP.

Look… don’t be mad at the old man yelling at the clouds!!!

Don’t worry Lee. There’s a whole genre of “Get off my lawn you damn kids” suburban pop just waiting for you to discover it.

I do kinda agree that all these niche sub genres are a bit fucking ridic, isn’t pop just pop…

I have absolutely no idea. I am in France so the journey is longer than for many of you.
As for theories, the only I have is for the Classics as they keep to put the booklet in the sleeve. Ffor the others, I have no idea. Being in Europe, many records I purchase are manufactured at GZ and I don't have the same amount of warps I have with VMP.
I know they are changing the classic format booklet to be similar design to the other tracks (larger booklet) at some point soon. That never really seemed to cause warps for me, but like you said, mine has had less traveling time.

It seems like such a waste to ship records from GZ to the US then back to Europe. I also understand that trying to open an EU distribution center (or to use an existing one) would be a pretty big investment for VMP so I get why they don't do it...

I know they are changing the classic format booklet to be similar design to the other tracks (larger booklet) at some point soon. That never really seemed to cause warps for me, but like you said, mine has had less traveling time.

It seems like such a waste to ship records from GZ to the US then back to Europe. I also understand that trying to open an EU distribution center (or to use an existing one) would be a pretty big investment for VMP so I get why they don't do it...

Honestly for VMP huge scale palletised freight is likely to be cheaper going to one single destination rather than split and going to two. Even if one of those two is significantly nearer. As for the second bit that’s on the customers dollar so they don’t give a fuck.

I think they looked into Britain years ago but brexit kyboshed it. I don’t think they’ve figured out that there’s another country in Europe with English as a first language…

I've seen a couple labels just in the last month saying they are now working with !K7. IIRC correctly they are located in Berlin but have their warehouse in Austria. Problem right now in Europe is that we have two huge markets with UE and England and to be efficient, they would have to have shipments options from both areas.

Also, I am not sure they have that many subscribers out of USA and even less in Europe. I don't know if it would make sense for them to go through the process of building a partnership deal somewhere in Europe. Meanwhile, they waste thousands of dollars to have their records shipped from Europe to their warehouse, from their warehouse to subscribers in Europe and then, of course, free shipping replacements.

Honestly for VMP huge scale palletised freight is likely to be cheaper going to one single destination rather than split and going to two. Even if one of those two is significantly nearer. As for the second bit that’s on the customers dollar so they don’t give a fuck.

I think they looked into Britain years ago but brexit kyboshed it. I don’t think they’ve figured out that there’s another country in Europe with English as a first language…

They should go with France, French people are pretty good in English.

Unless they’re talking to someone English in France, in which case they make them suffer. 😂😂😂

Plus everyone knows the Dutch are the multi lingual kings and queens of Europe.

Back