The Fixx - “Driven Out”
Thelonious Monster - “So What If I Did”
U2 - “God Part II”

New Additions
The Cult - “Fire Woman”

Depeche Mode - “Everything Counts”

fIREHOSE - “Time With You”

Sidewinders - “Witchdoctor”

I've sadly fallen behind on this wonderful thread but just found this in the archives and it snapped me back to what's important...

IMG_5242.jpeg

This show was just as Sidewinders were catching on. Couple that with what a pitiful city Charlotte has historically been in supporting live music and, even though it was a Friday night, this was a sparsely attended show.

So sparsely that the band invited everyone in the crowd backstage to help them drink the huge amount of beer they had in their rider.

I kept in touch with Rich Hopkins for a good while after this. Great dude.

If you dig Sidewinders and didn't make it to Sand Rubies, do yourself a favor. @imtheocean - they released a cover of NY 'Interstate' 3 years before he officially released it ...

I've sadly fallen behind on this wonderful thread but just found this in the archives and it snapped me back to what's important...

View attachment 202827

This show was just as Sidewinders were catching on. Couple that with what a pitiful city Charlotte has historically been in supporting live music and, even though it was a Friday night, this was a sparsely attended show.

So sparsely that the band invited everyone in the crowd backstage to help them drink the huge amount of beer they had in their rider.

I kept in touch with Rich Hopkins for a good while after this. Great dude.

If you dig Sidewinders and didn't make it to Sand Rubies, do yourself a favor. @imtheocean - they released a cover of NY 'Interstate' 3 years before he officially released it ...

That’s awesome!

Modern Rock Tracks for Week Ending 05/20/1989
IMG_4340.jpeg

No. 1 Song
The Cure - “Fascination Street”

Tracks that fell out of the top 30
Morrissey - “The Last Of The Famous International Playboys”
Julian Lennon - “Now You’re In Heaven”
Guadalcanal Diary - “Always Saturday Night”
Howard Jones - “Everlasting Love”

New Additions
Wire - “Eardrum Buzz”

Edelweiss - “Bring Me Edelweiss”

Bob Mould - “See A Little Light”

Simple Minds - “This Is Your Land”

Woof. These new additions are not my cup of tea. The Wire and Bob Mould without sharp edges isn’t particularly interesting and that Simple Minds track belongs on the Adult Contemporary Charts.

That Edelweiss song though… I almost appreciate it for the sheer stupidity. This is Rednex - “Cotton Eye Joe” level eurotrash novelty garbage.

and to lose Morrissey, Howard Jones, and especially Guadalcanal Diary for these tunes is a shame especially “Always Saturday Night” I was completely unfamiliar with Guadalcanal Diary prior to this and that track has been one of my favorite discoveries.
Yeah, 'Modern Rock' for this new batch is a stretch. And was that Lou Reed in the Simple Minds song?

Back