Definitive Audiophile pressings

So then my question is, do they go back and scratch out the 2 and make it a 3 if they decide to use the shelved mother? I personally don't remember having noticed that. If they don't, then I guess it is hard to be sure if your vinyl is pressed from the father or the stampers made from the mother.

And I get what you mean about it being weird that they may use the mother later, but that's when I think that number in the run out would change. So once they get past, say, 11,000 copies pressed, that number might change from a 2 to a 3 if they are using that same mastering.
Have you ever seen that scratched out? I don't think I have, but I'll be on the lookout as I may have thought nothing of it in the past!

And I get what you mean about it being weird that they may use the mother later, but that's when I think that number in the run out would change. So once they get past, say, 11,000 copies pressed, that number might change from a 2 to a 3 if they are using that same mastering.

I wonder what the relative loss of detail between a 1 and 2 is then seeing as both are in effect pressed from the first transfer from the lacquer.

Also surely only 1,000 can be 2 becuase the next 10,000 are from the stampers from the one mother made? Then you’d have to go and have a new lacquer cut for a fresh father?

Have you ever seen that scratched out? I don't think I have, but I'll be on the lookout as I may have thought nothing of it in the past!
I would have to go back and look at some that are from RTI and have scratched out numbers, but that would be my guess--if they don't recut laquers, they would just cross it out from that mother. I just think it's probably uncommon because most places would probably have an idea of how many pressings they are doing, and it's probably unlikely that many do that 2 step process unless it's going to be a pretty limited album.

so it’s likely the first 1,000 were pressed from the repurposed father and the next 5,000 from the stampers made from the one mother cut. I wonder if they changed those 5,000 from a (2) to a (3) 🤔

🤷‍♂️ ... mine has a (2) and the Discogs entry only lists the etching ending with (2).

Sounds fantastic though.

Honestly 99.99% of records including loads of our beloved audiophile ones are the standard 3 step method so I’m not surprised either way, just more interested from a transparency point of view lol.

To add complexity, the Pearl Jam record I'm referencing also had an exclusive red pressing for the Ten Club, and that has the exact same run-out numbers according to Discogs. Maybe with that process you can't tell the difference if it was the father that was used or if a new stamper was made from the "back-up"? Unless new lacquers are being prepared, but I doubt it...

To add complexity, the Pearl Jam record I'm referencing also had an exclusive red pressing for the Ten Club, and that has the exact same run-out numbers according to Discogs. Maybe with that process you can't tell the difference if it was the father that was used or if a new stamper was made from the "back-up"? Unless new lacquers are being prepared, but I doubt it...

The first mother is logically likely to have had the least generational loss so I suppose. It does all feel a little deceptive though lol.

The first mother is logically likely to have had the least generational loss so I suppose. It does all feel a little deceptive though lol.

I'm learning on the fly here, but there seem to be other processing differences with the electroplating, to be fair (compared to 3-step). The traditional 3-step may produce better stampers in the end and it doesn't seem like the two-step can be used to make 180g vinyl. The two-step seems quicker but can only be used for short runs, and only a limited amount of mothers can be prepared.

This Adrianne Lenker album sounds fantastic....for some songs. I wish the pressing was better though! Some songs sound amazing and others just have noise on them. It's a shame to go through the trouble of recording an AAA album and then getting a mediocre pressing of it made! I gotta give it another clean and hopefully that cleans it up. It's such an intimate recording.

Waxtime are grey market releases that make use of European legal public domain releases. Essentially they use CD sources and no money goes to the label or artist/artists estate.

Must be a fantastic comparison though, I'm not surprised the Craft blew it away!
Makes sense. This is the only Waxtime I’ve grabbed. Assumed by the price that it was going to be pretty meh, but if it’s sourced from a CD, it came out pretty decent. Definitely didn’t compel me to buy any others.

Back