Fresh Grabs

HHV coming through with some exclusives and a really cheap deal on the Robohands record.

View attachment 22463

The colour on the Makaya record looks really nice! I'm not too sure what to make of the Kamaal Williams - it was a bit of an impulse buy but to me seems like it isn't really a dj album and not a jazz album. I might return it :/
Im not overly familiar with the DJ Kicks series, but I did pick up the special edition of the Peggy Gou. Its essentially a compilation of that featured artists (so Kamaal in this case) favourite house/electronic music, with a few of their own songs thrown in. I listened to a bit of the one you have but wasn't personally feeling it. Cool to see him branch out even more though.

Im not overly familiar with the DJ Kicks series, but I did pick up the special edition of the Peggy Gou. Its essentially a compilation of that featured artists (so Kamaal in this case) favourite house/electronic music, with a few of their own songs thrown in. I listened to a bit of the one you have but wasn't personally feeling it. Cool to see him branch out even more though.

His stuff under the Henry Wu moniker is really House/EDM/Hip-Hop. The jazz stuff is actually a bit of a left field turn for him. A man of many talents.

His stuff under the Henry Wu moniker is really House/EDM/Hip-Hop. The jazz stuff is actually a bit of a left field turn for him. A man of many talents.
An interesting character for sure. I was reading up on his relationship with Yussef Dayes and how/why they decided to make ‘Black Focus’ together. Seems like quite a turning point in both of their careers really.

An interesting character for sure. I was reading up on his relationship with Yussef Dayes and how/why they decided to make ‘Black Focus’ together. Seems like quite a turning point in both of their careers really.

Shame they went their separate ways so quickly. Black Focus was the first of the London new jazz scene that I heard (introduced to me by @The_Stoned_Ape) and I still think it's one of the best.

Keepin’ the Modern Jazz love going
E8D9BF6E-88C5-48AA-93C4-0C4526D0673D.jpeg
Kamaal Williams - The Return
Makaya McCraven - In The Moment

I am late to the party on both Kamaal and Makaya. I remembered the VMP exclusive of The Return but it was off my radar. Folks here posted In The Moment in the pre-order thread and the description really piqued my interest. Exploring his output and labelmates and collaborators of course lead me back to...Kamaal Williams. The Return is the recent bleep reissue on clear wax while In The Moment is the deluxe amber colored reissue. Jazzy goodness!

I love a lot of DJ kicks releases, they're actually sonically very pleasing on vinyl - at least the ones I've picked up. I thought I remember reading when I pre-ordered that he would have 4 new tracks on this album but that doesn't seem to be the case (unless they're counting Henry Wu) and the vinyl release is also not the complete set. The Spotify mix I've been listening to is ok, but like I said doesn't really feel like a dj mix and doesn't feel like a modern jazz set either so I'm not sure what to think about it.

All this said I have yet to spin the record, perhaps it will change my mind when I do.

Keepin’ the Modern Jazz love going
View attachment 22490
Kamaal Williams - The Return
Makaya McCraven - In The Moment

I am late to the party on both Kamaal and Makaya. I remembered the VMP exclusive of The Return but it was off my radar. Folks here posted In The Moment in the pre-order thread and the description really piqued my interest. Exploring his output and labelmates and collaborators of course lead me back to...Kamaal Williams. The Return is the recent bleep reissue on clear wax while In The Moment is the deluxe amber colored reissue. Jazzy goodness!

I didn't realize Bleep did a repress. Could you let me know how it sounds. I've listened to all the first pressings before settling on the white one but they all had issues.

I’ve got the original CD box of Miles Prestige Sessions And I think the CD’s are layed out in the order of recording dates, not formatted as the album’s if memory serves me, haven’t listen ed for many years , but I can pull it out and have s look .
Yeah thats a great price, like you said its the music thats the key! I will add it to my list, I have a decent number of Miles records now that spans his career but im still miles (forgive the pun) away from a full collection. He just released soooo many albums!

Is there any order to the track listing? I see that 'Dig' is on there (presumably from the album of the same name with Sonny Rollins on sax) but the following tracks dont line up with that which is on the rest of the album. If that makes sense?

Incoming. Going to need to cancel all plans tomorrow to get through some of this lot!!

The Dave Brubeck Quartet - Jazz Impressions Of Japan (Columbia, 2019 VMP Classics pressing)
slowthai - Nothing Great About Britain (Method Records, 2019 VMP R&HH pressing)
Queens Of The Stone Age - Songs For The Deaf (Interscope Records, 2019 VMP Essentials Pressing)
Etta Jones - Don’t Go To Strangers (Prestige, 2019 VMP Exclusive pressing)

Happy to finally have this lot. A real strong month (although I am totally unfamiliar with slowthai). Really looking forward to listening to these!
IMG_9904.JPG

Ornette Coleman - Body Meta (Artists House, 1978 First pressing WITH rarer 'Rauschenberg' booklet insert)
This was a great find today. I didnt realise it had the insert at first but it had slid into the other side of the gatefold (which is sealed from the outside). Im unfamiliar with the album but its the first of 14 records on the label (named after Ornettes loft apartment).
Brother Jack McDuff - Screamin' (Prestige, 1963 First Mono pressing)
Paul Chambers & John Coltrane - High Step (Blue Note, 1975 first pressing - part of the brown paper BN twofers)
Grant Green - Alive! (Blue Note, 2019 pressing)
- not sure if this was an error but it was priced at just £12 sealed!
Picked all of these up at Honest Jon's Coledrop Yard store. They had PLENTY of great records today.
IMG_9905.JPG

Blue Note 80 - Coal Drops Yard Tote
Blue Note 80 - Coal Drops Yard print (exclusive of 200)
Blue Note 80 - Sticker
Visited the Coal Drops Yard in London to the UKs first dedicated Blue Note pop-up/event. Mainly a place to pick up the BN80 records at £20 a pop, or CDs (really cheap, about £3 or 4 for £10 - something along those lines). They had some cool oversized signed canvases as well.
IMG_9906.JPG

Now to watch the Blue Note Records: Beyond the Notes documentary on BBC4!!!

1A07F783-321D-419D-923D-0B93D967673A.jpeg
Today:
1) The good. Replacements arrived in mint condition. MyPetFlamingo came through with great customer service. :-)

2) The Bad. Sadly my preordered WXAXRXP Box Set also arrived. No pictures I just dumped it in a corner at work. Cheap lightweight cardboard and a 9lb record set. Dented outer display box front center and every ep cover has a split top seam. Emailed Bleep. Waiting for reply. And so it goes again.... :-(

Back