How Does It Feel (To Post About R.E.M.)?

I am not a fan of anything after Hi-Fi but was ok with the songs chosen, but the earlier stuff almost always gives me goosebumps. They were so good.
I usually like 2-3 songs per album after Hi-Fi but don't any of the albums on vinyl.

Edit - oh wait, I have Up. Grabbed it cheap on Amazon, it's a nice listen.

I am not a fan of anything after Hi-Fi but was ok with the songs chosen, but the earlier stuff almost always gives me goosebumps. They were so good.
For me, either of the Michaels. I also tend to give short shrift to the post-hifi stuff, but I did love at my most beautiful

I think of post-HiFi R.E.M. as a different band, like they probably ended the band there in an alternate reality where there wasn’t obligation to the larger ecosystem of people who relied on them or fan expectations. Thinking of it that way, I can enjoy a ton of their songs on every album. Up is the only one I dislike because the electronic stuff feels half baked and amateur-ish to me and the more fleshed out songs aren’t as compelling other than At my Most Beautiful and Daysleeper.

I think of post-HiFi R.E.M. as a different band, like they probably ended the band there in an alternate reality where there wasn’t obligation to the larger ecosystem of people who relied on them or fan expectations. Thinking of it that way, I can enjoy a ton of their songs on every album. Up is the only one I dislike because the electronic stuff feels half baked and amateur-ish to me and the more fleshed out songs aren’t as compelling other than At my Most Beautiful and Daysleeper.
I feel Accelerate was a "back to basics" album, kind of a fitting bookend at the end. Of their post Hi Fi era, I like it best.

Back