Live Music Is Better - The Taper's Thread

One from a killer hill country blues band in an intimate room...

Struck up a friendship with Steve Malcolm (Lightnin' Malcolm) - an incredibly talented and great dude - and his booking agent over the years and always got permission to record when they passed thru the area. His partner in the band, Cedric Burnside, is RL Burnsides's grandson. I'd seen Cedric play with RL back in the 90's.

I love these guys, not just for their stellar playing, but for their commitment to keeping the hill country blues alive as an art form. It's unique, it's special and it's disappearing. A handful of artists like these guys are sustaining life support.

This show was at The Evening Muse, an intimate room that maxed out at 100 if you really packed it. The owner (Joe) really cares about sound in his venue. I remember the first time I taped there - sat up my mics about halfway back and asked Joe if I could get a board patch. "If you really want one, I can do it. But where you're set up with the equipment you have, you're good." He was right.

Taped this flying a pair of mics about 25' from the stage. Requested this song during the set (I had heard them play it live before, but it was still unreleased) and got the immediate response from Ced and Steve.

Listen to this and you'll get what Joe was sayin'.

Turn this shit up!

Cedric Burnside & Lightnin' Malcolm - 'Me And My Lyin' Ass' - The Evening Muse, Charlotte, NC 12-1-2010

Last edited:
There are very few bands that can seamlessly flow from cocktail music to ballads to pop to rock to alternative to blinding white noise and do it all supreme justice.

What an anomaly. What an underrated band. What an absolute treasure.
I saw them on this tour. Georgia had a sore throat that night so she didn’t sing. It was all Ira songs and instrumentals. A lot of psyche guitar freak outs that night.

Don't think I've posted any of my Meat Puppets recordings before so to make up for lost time, here's a double shot.

Really nice recording which is what you usually get in the intimate Visulite.

Fun fact - Doug Sahm's son, Shandon, was the drummer on this tour.

This one is crankable...

Meat Puppets - Up On The Sun > Backwater - The Visulite Theatre, Charlotte, NC 9-21-2011

Back