NHL Thread Because There Isn't An NHL Thread

The NHL unveiled its schedule for the 2021-22 campaign Thursday.

The season will run from Oct. 12 to April 29 - contingent on the league participating in the 2022 Olympics. The schedule features a two-week pause between Feb. 7-22 to allow players to compete at the Games. The NHL will revise the schedule and the campaign will likely end earlier if the league decides not to attend the Olympics.

An agreement hasn't been made regarding the league's participation in the Winter Games. NHL deputy commissioner Bill Daly said in June that it's "not necessarily an ideal Games to elect to go to."


The NHL's 2021-22 opening night will feature a doubleheader beginning with the Tampa Bay Lightning raising their Stanley Cup banner and hosting the Pittsburgh Penguins, followed by the league's two newest franchises - the Seattle Kraken and Vegas Golden Knights - squaring off in Sin City.

Each team will play 26 games within its division, 24 contests against the other division in its conference, and 32 matchups against the opposing conference.

Here are a handful of contests throughout the season worth circling on your calendar:

DATEHOMEAWAYPURPOSE
Oct. 13RangersCapitals1st game since line brawl
Oct. 23KrakenCanucksSeattle's home opener
Nov. 20IslandersFlamesNew York's 1st game as UBS Arena
Dec. 7CanadiensLightningStanley Cup rematch
Jan. 1WildBluesWinter Classic at Target Field
Feb. 26PredatorsLightningStadium Series at Nissan Stadium
The series-style schedules, which were used during the 2020-21 campaign and were popular among players, won't return this season.

The All-Star Weekend in Vegas will take place Feb. 4-5.
 
The Columbus Blue Jackets and Chicago Blackhawks are working on a blockbuster deal that would send defenseman Seth Jones to the Windy City, sources told Sportsnet's Elliotte Friedman.

The two sides previously tried to hammer out a trade, with the Blue Jackets reportedly wanting Kirby Dach or Alex DeBrincat as the centerpiece coming their way. However, it wasn't a deal the Blackhawks were willing to make.

Chicago and Columbus are now reportedly working on a swap that would include a mix of the Blackhawks' other young players, prospects, and high draft picks.


Jones has one year remaining on his deal with a $5.4-million cap hit, so any team trading for him is likely looking to ensure he'd sign an extension afterward. Chicago is believed to be one of the teams that could secure a long-term commitment from the 26-year-old, Friedman added.

The Blackhawks project to have over $20 million in cap space this offseason. The trade that sent Duncan Keith to the Edmonton Oilers - helping clear cap room - brought in Seth's brother, Caleb, to Chicago.

Jones received down-ballot Norris Trophy votes in each season between 2017-20, finishing as high as fourth in 2018. However, he registered just five goals and 23 assists in 56 games this past season, and his underlying numbers plummeted.

cropped_Screenshot_2021-07-22_11.18.01_PM.jpg
Evolving-Hockey.com
The Blackhawks severely lack experience on the back end. Here's their current defensive depth chart:

LDRD
Calvin de HaanConnor Murphy
Nikita Zadorov*Adam Boqvist
Riley StillmanIan Mitchell
Caleb Jones
*Restricted free agent

Jones reportedly told the Blue Jackets in May that he wouldn't sign an extension with the team.
 
The Boston Bruins, Colorado Avalanche, Dallas Stars, Florida Panthers, and New York Islanders are among the teams interested in unrestricted free-agent defenseman Ryan Suter, reports Sportsnet's Elliotte Friedman.

Suter could make his decision by Monday - two days before free agency opens - Friedman adds.

The 36-year-old was bought out by the Minnesota Wild last week. Suter tallied three goals and 16 assists in 56 games this past season while averaging 22:11 per contest. His underlying numbers were still stellar, specifically on offense.


cropped_Screenshot_2021-07-22_11.34.52_PM.jpg
Evolving-Hockey.com
The Bruins (Jeremy Lauzon), Avalanche (Ryan Graves), Stars (Jamie Oleksiak), and Islanders (Nick Leddy) have all already lost key defensemen this offseason.
 
The six-month saga between the New York Rangers and defenseman Tony DeAngelo is seemingly coming to an end. New York has placed the 25-year-old on unconditional waivers to begin buying out his contract, according to Sportsnet’s Chris Johnston.

DeAngelo will become an unrestricted free agent once he passes through waivers and the buyout is executed, as the Daily Faceoff's Frank Seravalli noted.

The process would go as follows for DeAngelo, per CapFriendly.


SEASONINITIAL CAP HITNEW CAP HITANNUAL CAP SAVINGS
2021-22$4.8M$383K$4.4M
2022-23$0$883K-$883K
In February, former general manager Jeff Gorton announced the New Jersey native had played his last game as a Ranger.

The tumultuous situation came to a head due to a skirmish between DeAngelo and goaltender Alexandar Georgiev following the club’s January 30 overtime loss to the Pittsburgh Penguins. The franchise placed DeAngelo on waivers the following day.

The blue-liner went unclaimed and didn't suit up for another NHL contest in the 2020-21 season.

The Montreal Canadiens were apparently interested in him in April, but he didn’t accept. DeAngelo also reportedly rejected New York's offer to mutually terminate his contract - which would have allowed him to sign elsewhere as a free agent - opting to be bought out this summer instead.

The Rangers signed DeAngelo to a two-year contract with an average annual value of $4.8 million beginning in the 2020-21 campaign. DeAngelo spent four seasons in the Big Apple.
 
Back
Top