NHL Thread Because There Isn't An NHL Thread

Brad Marchand filed an appeal Friday regarding his six-game ban for roughing and high-sticking Pittsburgh Penguins goaltender Tristan Jarry.

Shortly after Marchand said he was thinking about challenging the ruling Friday afternoon, the NHLPA confirmed he had done so.

Earlier on Friday, the Boston Bruins' star agitator made it clear he didn't think his actions warranted a suspension at all.

"Was it stupid? Of course, it was stupid. I'm not denying that," Marchand said Friday, according to The Athletic's Fluto Shinzawa. "I absolutely should not have done it. But suspension-worthy? I don't think so."

Marchand added that he didn't believe Jarry was in danger of getting hurt as a result of the incidents.

"These plays were not going to injure Jarry. ... He was very well protected," Marchand said. "The fact that it's six games is based on history, not on the play."

The winger said he discussed his long list of previous indiscretions with the league, and he remains convinced his resume is to blame for this decision.

"(It's a) very very hefty suspension for these plays, so the only way they can justify that is on the history side of things," he said.

Marchand pointed to the fact that he's made an effort to clean up his game and has been more productive offensively. However, the veteran claims the NHL doesn't factor that into supplemental discipline, citing his previous suspension for slew-footing Vancouver Canucks defenseman Oliver Ekman-Larsson in November.

"They don't measure progress, which I've come to find out, and it goes back to the last one," he said. "We believe the last suspension was very hefty. When I got three games, it should've been one, based on the fact that I've turned my game around (and) become a pretty good player in this league."

Marchand punched Jarry in the head following a scoring chance and later hit the netminder's mask with his stick Tuesday night. The officials handed him a match penalty and a roughing minor.

The Bruins forward has already served one game of the ban, missing Thursday's 6-0 loss to the Carolina Hurricanes.

This marks the eighth suspension of Marchand's 13-year career.
Ah yes the “I’ve scored more goals since my last asshatery, therefore I shouldn’t face the consequences of my recent actions” excuse. Works oh so well in the justice system of pretty much all nations..🙄.

This should be treated like a coaches challenge; upon failure he should serve another 6 games 🥳

CANT SEE IT 🤷🏼‍♂️

It’s simple. Primeau is lost. He’s the 4th goalie and sending him out there is just bad for his development and future at this point. He needs to play AHL. This move is for that. It’s about Primeau’s development.

It’s a very minor but essential move if they don’t want to completely ruin Primeau.

Ottawa Senators forward Austin Watson has been suspended two games for interference on Boston Bruins defenseman Jack Ahcan during Saturday's contest, the NHL Department of Player Safety announced Sunday.

The incident occurred midway through the first period of the Senators' 2-0 loss. Watson delivered a late, high hit on Ahcan and made contact with his head.

Watson was penalized on the play.

The league determined that Watson began the hit well after Ahcan no longer had possession of the puck. The force of the check also contributed to the suspension.

Watson, 30, has one other suspension in his 371-game NHL career. He will forfeit $15,000 in salary.

The Ontario government announced Monday it will speed up the province's reopening timeline, according to CityNews' Michael Ranger.

The NHL's Toronto Maple Leafs and Ottawa Senators, as well as the NBA's Toronto Raptors, will be able to increase to 50% capacity beginning Feb. 17, and if public health indicators keep trending in the right direction, they can host full houses on March 1.

The initial plan, which the province unveiled in late January, was to allow a maximum of 500 spectators at indoor sporting venues in Ontario from Jan. 31 to Feb. 20 before moving to 50% capacity starting on Feb. 21. The government was then aiming to lift all capacity limits on March 14.

The province will also forgo its proof of vaccination requirement on March 1, but businesses and other settings can still choose to enforce it.

The Leafs will take on the Pittsburgh Penguins on Feb. 17 and could potentially face the Buffalo Sabres in front of a packed barn on March 2.

The Senators will play four games at 50% capacity beginning Feb. 19 against the Boston Bruins. Ottawa can return from a five-game road trip to a full Canadian Tire Centre on March 10 against the Seattle Kraken.

The Raptors won't play for a half-capacity crowd, but they may return to action in front of a full house when they host the Brooklyn Nets on March 1.

The Winnipeg Jets announced last week that they would return to full-capacity crowds beginning Wednesday.

TRADE ALERT 🚨

It appears Tyler Toffoli is headed back out West.

The Montreal Canadiens reportedly traded the 29-year-old winger to the Calgary Flames in exchange for a first-round pick, a fifth-round pick, prospect Emil Heineman, and forward Tyler Pitlick, according to Sportsnet's Elliotte Friedman.

The fifth-round selection included in the deal is a 2024 pick, per The Athletic's Pierre LeBrun, while the 2022 first-round pick is top-10 protected, according to Friedman.

Toffoli has been a bright spot for the struggling Habs this season with nine goals and 17 assists in 37 games. He led all Canadiens skaters with 44 points in 2020-21 and was a key player during their run to the Stanley Cup Final.

He has two more seasons remaining on his deal which carries a $4.25-million cap hit. He signed the four-year pact with the Canadiens in 2020 as a free agent.

More to come.

Back