Television

Is anybody else watching "I Know This Much Is True"? The tone and subject matter of it are so heavy, and I know everybody probably wants to take a break from all things heavy right about now. Still, the acting is amazing. From everybody. I have a feeling it will clean up come award season. If there is an award season. Ruffalo is fantastic playing twin brothers. Rosie O'Donnell is excellent in a supporting role. She was also really good in "Smilf"...maybe the best part of that show actually. Kathryn Hahn has been used sparingly, but is wonderful whenever she appears. I'm not sure Juliette Lewis appeared long enough to even be considered for any awards, but she definitely stole scenes in the first episode or two. Even the younger actors playing the brothers in flashbacks do excellent work.
The scenes set in the past might be the most compelling part of I Know This Much Is True S1E4, as they portray Thomas’s breakdown. Such an emotionally charged episode.

Anyone watched the Netflix comedy special Nanette by Hannah Gadsby? I was reading an article about other comedians and it was referenced in a glowing light.

I looked it up and it has an average critic score of 9.2/10 on Rotten Tomatoes, but an Audience Score of 22%. Anyone seen it that can shed light on the disparity. From what I've seen it's usually the opposite - a crap critic score and a higher audience score. Like with genre movies (e.g. horror movies have a baked-in audience so they tend to be liked by the audiences that go see them regardless of critic trashing); or low-brow humor ('cause people like to laugh about balls getting smashed or bodily functions and no critic is gonna stop them from wetting their pants); or YA novels that are turned movies. But this seemed like an odd reversal.

FWIW, I plan on watching it. The article said it was great and it wasn't about this comedian. Just curious about the gap. Never heard of her before but I'll give it a shot.
Gadsby is a seasoned comic who didn't have much of a US presence before Nanette was released. It's an amazing special with a powerful message. It has been savaged by lots of folks suffering from male fragility, mostly under the pretense that the special is "not actual stand-up." That's a valid observation of the work, but not a valid criticism of it, IMO. It's probably more akin to the type of one-person shows that Mike Birbiglia has been touring over the last several years: comedy presented as stand-up, but with a throughline that elevates it to something else.

This is a case where the audience score reflects angry backlash to a different perspective. That number is garbage. She's great and you should watch it, and then you should watch her new special that just dropped on Netflix too. It's quite different in tone, but still good.

Nanette was truly wonderful and stunning. Give it a watch. And yep, I can see why it would get crap scores. It is definitely what Indy said.

She was in another really incredible show that you can find on Hulu: Please Like Me. It's an Australian comedy created and starring Josh Thomas. She is introduced in S2, I believe. That show handles mental illness with a lot of care and compassion and understanding. It's also a clever show, full of heart and I loved it. Josh may be more recently known for Everything Is Going To Be Ok which just finished its first season here in the USA. Also a comedy with tons of heart. The two young girls in the show are fantastic.

I have not yet watched Hannah's new special, Douglas. I will. But because Nanette had some heavy issues in it, I assume Douglas does too and I'm not ready for that yet.

The scenes set in the past might be the most compelling part of I Know This Much Is True S1E4, as they portray Thomas’s breakdown. Such an emotionally charged episode.

Agreed. Also, looking at the credits closer last night, it looks like there is actually one actor playing both twins for those flashbacks. I always appreciate when a show or movie that features flashback scenes is able to find actors that actually resemble each other. In other words, the younger actor(s) used in the flashback scenes resemble the older actor(s) for the scenes in the present timeline. This show has done a really great job on that front. Almost like seeing a really well done deep fake video clip at times.

Nanette is incredible. And yeah I haven’t watched Douglas yet, but I’m going to tonight. I just haven’t felt quite in the mood. But I’m sure it’s wonderful cause she has such a strong command of her craft. I’m still excited to watch it.

oh shit!! really? I haven't really watched anything on Disney+ since the Mandalorian finished so I was thinking about cancelling it. I was going to watch the Simpsons on it, but the aspect ratio put me off ever starting.
Yeah, I didn't catch a big announcement or anything, but they changed it. You go to details once you are in the show and there is a toggle.

So AT&T, Amazon and Roku can all suck my ass. HBO Max is not available currently to stream on either platform (coincidentally these are the two platforms that we use in our home for streaming). That being said, I found a work around (for the Amazon TV at least) and am now watching Porky Pig attempting to murder Daffy Duck.

here’s the resource I used if anyone else doesn’t wanna wait for these giant corporations to work out their bullshit...

We had a trial subscription to AppleTV+ and started watching Central Park. It's the new animated musical series from the creators of Bob's Burgers, with a pretty stellar cast... Leslie Odom Jr, Daveed Diggs, Kristen Bell, Josh Gad, Titus Burgess, Stanley Tucci. There are several songs in each episode, and they're putting them up on Spotify as each episode airs...

This one has been stuck in my head for the better part of the last two days...

I mean the title of the theme song was “ Suicide is Painless”...

Indeed. And the movie was dark and even a bit acid trippy at times. During this re-watch I'm impressed with much of the writing, it gets literary at times and also contemplative at times. (which I do remember in later seasons especially) But of course there's the silly/campy stuff all throughout.

Indeed. And the movie was dark and even a bit acid trippy at times. During this re-watch I'm impressed with much of the writing, it gets literary at times and also contemplative at times. (which I do remember in later seasons especially) But of course there's the silly/campy stuff all throughout.
I LOVE the movie much more than the TV Show. Altman’s movie is way more nihilistic (and thus IMO way funnier) than the tv show plus I absolutely hate the canned laugh track on the TV show. Elliott Gould will always be my Trapper John. Though, Donald Sutherland is great, Alan Alda is my favorite Hawkeye.

I LOVE the movie much more than the TV Show. Altman’s movie is way more nihilistic (and thus IMO way funnier) than the tv show plus I absolutely hate the canned laugh track on the TV show. Elliott Gould will always be my Trapper John. Though, Donald Sutherland is great, Alan Alda is my favorite Hawkeye.

I was going to mention the laugh track. I really wish I could watch it minus that...it's more distracting than anything. And there's that ONE GUY I can hear every time. I heard him on the Brady Bunch when I was a kid too. Professional laugher I guess.

I should re-visit the movie, it's been awhile. Hard to argue how great Alan Alda is as Hawkeye. And I'm noticing even more what a pro Jamie Farr is. He earned his bigger role later on for sure.

Could have been someone who was recorded for the Laff Box in the '50s and was long dead before The Brady Bunch or M*A*S*H* ever made it to air.

Wow, I find this super interesting, thanks for sharing!

Back