The Dark Side; Digital audio equipment recommendations and setup.

0E5446B2-DCCD-4C31-8F9D-DFB21ED718A6.jpeg0671F0F1-865B-4FF4-A736-3F04D98F5EE5.jpeg
Acquired a free second system! A Cambridge Audio One with s30 speakers. Seems to work with the exception of the DAB radio, which isn’t a huge loss. The fist CD player I’ve had for 5 years or so.

Next step is to get a streamer connected to it. Feels like I have 2 options - a cheap one to connect to this, or a better one for the main system and move my Chomecast Audio puck to the Cambridge. Struggling to think of a cheap option (hints please!) and getting something like a Node feels like overkill on my current amp. Any thoughts?

Pretty much if you go below a Node right now the sound quality is lacking and you would probably want to add a DAC to it as well.

What about a Bluetooth streaming unit? Ifi is coming out with a cheaper line called Air. Ifi Zen Air Blue or something like that. Not going to be hi-res but an option

View attachment 131241View attachment 131242
Acquired a free second system! A Cambridge Audio One with s30 speakers. Seems to work with the exception of the DAB radio, which isn’t a huge loss. The fist CD player I’ve had for 5 years or so.

Next step is to get a streamer connected to it. Feels like I have 2 options - a cheap one to connect to this, or a better one for the main system and move my Chomecast Audio puck to the Cambridge. Struggling to think of a cheap option (hints please!) and getting something like a Node feels like overkill on my current amp. Any thoughts?

If it was me I’d move the chromecast to this and get a raspberry pi and HAT DAC system for the main amp.

Nice! I’ve had one on my desk/headphone system for a few years. It’s one of those pieces that just works and you don’t need to stress about it. It just gets out of the way and delivers solid sound.
Congrats, @JohnnyCashFan! I’ve used the Modi 3 with my office system for about two years - it’s always been solid and does not give up anything, in my listening, to more expensive DACs. The only reason I wouldn’t use a Modius is that I have no need for balanced interconnects in that setup. It’s a terrific DAC and a great value.

I want

Very nice. Though I do find it hilarious that they are showing The Clash streaming on a device that would cost me over $4k in Canada.

Stumbled across this article. Might be fun to try if you have an old AppleTV box kicking around.
I use an Airport Express to do this on my 70s Pioneer receiver. More convenient since the Airport Express has a built-in DAC.

Hey guys, Bluesound Node question for ya.
I've got ALAC files on my phone and I'm Bluetoothing them to the Node. How much quality am giving up using Bluetooth and are there apps or any methods through my phone to keep the ALAC quality over Bluetooth to the Node?

Hey guys, Bluesound Node question for ya.
I've got ALAC files on my phone and I'm Bluetoothing them to the Node. How much quality am giving up using Bluetooth and are there apps or any methods through my phone to keep the ALAC quality over Bluetooth to the Node?

Depends on the files up to 16/41 (CD) likely nothing. Above that and it’s going to be downsampling that to fit into the bandwidth. Is it an android phone and does the node support chromecast? If so casting is the best because it’s over Wi-Fi so a more stable connection and allows for the highest sample rate. The other way that sacrifices nothing would to load them on a dongle and plug it in, if the node has that option.

Depends on the files up to 16/41 (CD) likely nothing. Above that and it’s going to be downsampling that to fit into the bandwidth. Is it an android phone and does the node support chromecast? If so casting is the best because it’s over Wi-Fi so a more stable connection and allows for the highest sample rate. The other way that sacrifices nothing would to load them on a dongle and plug it in, if the node has that option.
I... don't actually know if it has that option to be honest. Although my amp does...

It is an Android so yes I might be able to Chromecast. I've never done that from my phone, how does that work?

I... don't actually know if it has that option to be honest. Although my amp does...

It is an Android so yes I might be able to Chromecast. I've never done that from my phone, how does that work?

The symbol I’ve circled is the cast button. Hit that when you’re about to play the album and if the node supports it it will appear as a device.

F7D81A8C-AC17-41CD-8546-C7B0A4BEFC2C.jpeg

Back