The 'I Did a Thing' Thread

Oh my days, what a find!!

This would make a killer youtube video series, just you opening up a box and seeing whats in it.
That's an idea. I would have to look into a camera setup that isn't shaky.

I did pack many of the boxes, but my buddy Ethan and my daughter & wife did some as well. Ethan did stop and point out hard-to-find records that I know nothing about, like psych rock.

Do you feel comfortable sharing some of the backstory behind it all and/or the price/general price range? Curious how folks come into these huge collections as the only time I ever see anything is someone on Facebook Marketplace trying to sell like 100 dogshit classical records for $10000 or something

Do you feel comfortable sharing some of the backstory behind it all and/or the price/general price range? Curious how folks come into these huge collections as the only time I ever see anything is someone on Facebook Marketplace trying to sell like 100 dogshit classical records for $10000 or something
I can share some of it. My wife is a self-employed artist, she paints portraits of people she finds interesting, usually "celebrities" or musicians. A lady we met bought one of her paintings, and we got talking - she runs an estate sale company. We've gone to a few of her house sales, bought stuff. I sold a bunch of laserdiscs for her on consignment - she often doesn't have the time or know-how to deal with some stuff.

She messaged me a few weeks ago about a potential record collection - her friend sold me some records so she knows I collect and re-sell a little. She said it's an odd situation, an older guy and his out-of-state daughter. He's in poor health and his living space reeks of urine. He's on oxygen and probably wears adult diapers. Sad situation, his son lives nearby and doesn't help much. She told me I best wear a mask to cut down the odor.

One Monday I took off work and went to eyeball the collection. All in the basement, except for some Beatles they brought up to the dining room. I flipped thru the pile there, then looked in the basement. Did a rough count, flipped quickly thru the shelves to get an idea of what was there.

Mind you, I have never done this - it was my first buy of this nature. I've gone on digs, even bought records from her open house sale. A friend sold me a bulk lot of 600 back in 2022 because he can't set up at record shows any more. I still have a lot of the basic bin filler that was his. So in this case, I just estimated the count (around 3000) and told her I'd think about an offer. I am not one to lowball, but I knew I didn't want to offer $1 each. It's a lot of work and some risk, and she realizes that too. I did not check condition except for a few. I spied some good titles (to me).

I asked a few people who deal in bulk buys. They advise not to lowball too much because nobody likes a cheapskate. Fair offers bring repeat business. One person said 1000. My daughter & wife said let's offer 1500 and she if they counter. Our rep bumped the offer to 1600. There was some back & forth, they agreed and said OK, but if the guy asks tell him it was 1800.

To reiterate, I am a hobbyist music fan who sells to offset my collecting habit. But the past couple years have been tough, my wife's health isn't good and household costs are a struggle. The aftermath of COVID shut down her business of 15+ years. So this was a financial decision to help us buy heating oil and pay down some credit card debt. I wish I didn't have to do this, but it's a side hustle I can handle. I give up weekends for shows, spend too much time doing the pricing and cleaning, just to keep up. I'd much rather have a well-paying job so I can just listen to records and quit selling. I don't have much time for eBay. I barely list on Discogs. And I never sold a PIF or took advantage of anyone here where the vibes are great and the music love is real.

This may be the only time I do something like this. I hope I can share some of my fortune with others.

Back