The Official Needles and Grooves 1001 Album Generator Project (aka Preachin’ about the Preachers if today’s selection sucks)

It's also very long. Jesus there are deluxe and super deluxe versions!
I went straight to the regular album on Apple Music. It was still 1 hr and 15 minutes (That includes about 5 minutes of silence before the hidden track, but still long). I stand by what I said about all the songs after Lucky Man.

I went straight to the regular album on Apple Music. It was still 1 hr and 15 minutes (That includes about 5 minutes of silence before the hidden track, but still long). I stand by what I said about all the songs after Lucky Man.
Yeah, that's the one I am listening to on Spotify. Just skipped about three minutes of silence.

08/29/23
7bf16fcb2a5d48fba8c70c54b9d4b5ad05131fc6

Portishead - Third

08/29/23

Portishead - Third

I've only ever listened to Dummy and really like that album but never really dug into any of their other albums. Really liking the sound of this one so far!

08/29/23

Portishead - Third

Portishead as a band is one of my top50 of all time. Naturally, my opinion of this album remains exceedingly positive.

It isn't quite trip-hop. It isn't quite electronic. It's twisted and demented in many other ways. With a few of these songs cutting abruptly, it only adds to the disturbing undertones of the record.

Not quite perfect. "Deep Water" is awkwardly placed between the excellent "We Carry On" and "Machine Gun."

Other than that...

Rating: 4.5/5 [Outstanding]

08/29/23

Portishead - Third

For me all three of their studio albums are 5/5.

This album had more of a cinematic feel to what was already a cinematic approach on their second album. It definitely feels more organic and live than their previous two efforts. Also, the lights are lighter and the darks are much darker. I can't imagine anything darker or more ominous than the last two minutes of "Threads," for example: the way her voice wails higher as it fades out, the yelling voice on beat 4 (catch it with headphones if you missed it), the swell of the synth and cellos that sound like an air raid siren... It is the kind of thing that will keep you up if you listen at night.

Just fantastic.

I remember the complaining a while back about how it took 11 years between studio albums and, well, it's been 15 years since this. Sooooooooooo.........

I had a friend in college who had an enormous music collection at that time. Like I maybe had a 100 CDs and the 75 or so records that still live in my collection and 100's of cassettes. This dude had a trunk in his fucking dorm room. Anyhow, he was into American Music Club. I know I've listened to the Everclear album, no idea what else. We also smoked a lot of pot in that dorm room.

Back