The Official Needles and Grooves 1001 Album Generator Project (aka Preachin’ about the Preachers if today’s selection sucks)

All right @Rip_City is that album good? I may give it another go tomorrow but it was to me, amateur jazz interspersed with mediocre 80’s soul and the travesty of A Gospel in the middle.

Is it like the first sophisti-pop album. Is it even sophisti-pop? Or does it just get called that because it is like deconstructed sophistipop? Does it work like Zareeka? If I play one of the jazz songs and one of the soul songs at the same time is it suddenly a Sade track?

I had Qobuz set on repeat for some reason and when the album started over I thought i was getting a similar act which lead me to be like there was another band that sounded just like that?

All right @Rip_City is that album good? I may give it another go tomorrow but it was to me, amateur jazz interspersed with mediocre 80’s soul and the travesty of A Gospel in the middle.

Is it like the first sophisti-pop album. Is it even sophisti-pop? Or does it just get called that because it is like deconstructed sophistipop? Does it work like Zareeka? If I play one of the jazz songs and one of the soul songs at the same time is it suddenly a Sade track?
LOL I've never listened to this 1001 Albums entry. My understanding was that the music would fall in line of what other sophisti-pop albums I've listened to.

A trio of sophisti-pop records that I like, one from the 80s and two modern:

Ana Frango Elétrico - Me Chama De Gato Que Eu Sou Sua
Isabelle Antena - En Cavale
Loveshadow - Loveshadow

Last edited:
LOL I've never listened to this 1001 Albums entry. My understanding was that the music would fall in line of what other sophisti-pop albums I've listened to.

A trio of sophisti-pop records that I like, one from the 80s and two modern:

Ana Frango Elétrico - Me Chama De Gato Que Eu Sou Sua
Isabelle Antena - En Cavale
Loveshadow - Loveshadow
It’s gonna be Sophisti-pop central at work tonight!

11/30/23
f1c64cfffa940110990bfb7d84bd81222c3aaed3

Tricky - Maxinquaye

Trip-hop standard, though maybe not one I'd reach for first. Still marvelous.

Rating: 4/5 [Excellent]

Sigh. I have had a long 40 year love hate relationship with The Style Council. I bought Introducing when it came out in 1983 and still have it. And I bought Cafe Blue when it was first released. I sold Cafe Blue in the Great Purges of the 90s but recently bought a Japanese OG that sounds amazing.

I still think The Jam is one of the greats rock bands of all time and put them up there with the Kinks and Stones. I also think every Paul Weller solo record for the last almost 35 years has produced at least one truly great song. But I cannot forgive him for The Style Council.

All that said, this album produced 2 classic Weller songs (You’re The Best Thing and My Ever Changing Moods) songs that he still performs frequently and I will defend to my last breath. This album also has 2 songs that date back to The Jam, Solid Bond and Head Start For Happiness. The Jam even recorded a demo of Solid Bond.

But this album is only 3/5 for me sadly.

Fun fact #1 - Steve White who plays drums on this record has remained Weller’s drummer ever since.

Fun fact #2 - Paul Weller is SUPER potent, fathering 10 children now I think. So ladies, don’t stand too close to the Mod Father or you might get pregnant.

Sigh. I have had a long 40 year love hate relationship with The Style Council. I bought Introducing when it came out in 1983 and still have it. And I bought Cafe Blue when it was first released. I sold Cafe Blue in the Great Purges of the 90s but recently bought a Japanese OG that sounds amazing.

I still think The Jam is one of the greats rock bands of all time and put them up there with the Kinks and Stones. I also think every Paul Weller solo record for the last almost 35 years has produced at least one truly great song. But I cannot forgive him for The Style Council.

All that said, this album produced 2 classic Weller songs (You’re The Best Thing and My Ever Changing Moods) songs that he still performs frequently and I will defend to my last breath. This album also has 2 songs that date back to The Jam, Solid Bond and Head Start For Happiness. The Jam even recorded a demo of Solid Bond.

But this album is only 3/5 for me sadly.

Fun fact #1 - Steve White who plays drums on this record has remained Weller’s drummer ever since.

Fun fact #2 - Paul Weller is SUPER potent, fathering 10 children now I think. So ladies, don’t stand too close to the Mod Father or you might get pregnant.

Yes this isn’t too far off how I feel about The Style Council. I’d say a best of is all I need but that damn best of I bought is a triple LP!

Back