The Official Needles and Grooves 1001 Album Generator Project (aka Preachin’ about the Preachers if today’s selection sucks)

I’m looking forward to listening to this because I haven’t ever. I love Buddy Holly though and know at least four of the songs by name. Used to have a Greatest Hits thing on cassette.

By the time I was in middle school, my parents mostly listened to oldies radio in the car, so I knew his songs real well.

5/10/24
View attachment 202551
Buddy Holly & the Crickets - The Chirping Crickets

Buddy Holly & The Crickets were the American Beatles six years before The Beatles. Incredible songs and hooks galore produced in a mere 2 years. They don't get the recognition they deserve.

I’m looking forward to listening to this because I haven’t ever. I love Buddy Holly though and know at least four of the songs by name. Used to have a Greatest Hits thing on cassette.

By the time I was in middle school, my parents mostly listened to oldies radio in the car, so I knew his songs real well.
This was the era of the single though. I have a tough time thinking of any rock album prior to 1963 as something really worthwhile other than a device to collect singles. The 4 songs you know are probably the only ones you really need.

I love oldies music too. I just prefer a nice comp to any actual albums from that era.

This was the era of the single though. I have a tough time thinking of any rock album prior to 1963 as something really worthwhile other than a device to collect singles. The 4 songs you know are probably the only ones you really need.

I love oldies music too. I just prefer a nice comp to any actual albums from that era.
I get that, I do like the fact that this isn’t an album that left the singles off those usually don’t work as well.

I do like the nuggets in an album like this… are they essential, no, but they’re fun and neat historical documents.

5/13/24
View attachment 202752
Nirvana - In Utero

Excellent. Pretty much all three of their albums are perfect. I was too young to have a “I remember where I was when I first heard SLTS” moments. By the time I started really caring about music Nirvana was already ubiquitous, with SLTS, Come As You Are, and In Bloom in heavy rotation on MTV. This was an album I purchased the weekend it was released. The “Heart-Shaped Box” video premiere was huge deal and the album surpassed my lofty expectations.

5/13/24
View attachment 202752
Nirvana - In Utero

Living the blazing arc of Nirvana in real time was pretty wild. When In Utero was released, the whole trip blasted clean thru the stratosphere all the way into the thermosphere. The first 30 seconds of 'Serve The Servants' made that clear. This record had an artistic rage and an aural presentation to do it justice. A perfect record in my house.

Underappreciated track...

Living the blazing arc of Nirvana in real time was pretty wild. When In Utero was released, the whole trip blasted clean thru the stratosphere all the way into the thermosphere. The first 30 seconds of 'Serve The Servants' made that clear. This record had an artistic rage and an aural presentation to do it justice. A perfect record in my house.

Underappreciated track...

My mom called me twice when someone outside of the family died…when Kurt died and when Jerry Garcia died.

Hmm... I actually can't say with any certainty that I've listened to In Utero before. I know I had Nevermind and Bleach growing up but I never actually owned this one. I know a good amount of the tracks from radio play and listening to them at friend's houses, but I don't think I've ever actually sat down and listened to it straight through.

Back