The Official Needles and Grooves 1001 Album Generator Project (aka Preachin’ about the Preachers if today’s selection sucks)

I know I'd listened to this just a couple years ago and remembered being pretty meh on it. But as I was listening, I thought wow, I didn't remember this being 2 hours and 9 minutes long. Turns out I just listened to the deluxe version. And while I did strongly dislike the first couple tracks, by the time it got to the Baba Yaga freakout tracks I was really into it. I know this will convince absolutely none of you (maybe @avecigrec) but I like this extended deluxe version far more than the standard version, despite there being several tracks that do nothing for me. 3/5
We tortured Newcastle, NOW SEE WHAT WE DID TO LONDON!!!

What I really want to know is what Mussorgsky ever did to ELP that they were like “we should take his masterpiece and make it sound like Jesus Christ Superstar and a little country church organist’s recital had a lsd baby”?
Which is exactly why I'm digging the weirdness of this pick so much. What the hell makes something like this get conceived and played consistently on a tour. I mean, beyond drugs.

In high school I went through a ELP deep dive, but I don't think I spent much time with this particular album, more with Trilogy and Brain Salad Surgery.

the Baba Yaga parts are pretty fantastic and out there, but also surprisingly well orchestrated/coordinated with the synth/drumming. And I love me some Hammond B3.

3/5

Which is exactly why I'm digging the weirdness of this pick so much. What the hell makes something like this get conceived and played consistently on a tour. I mean, beyond drugs.

In high school I went through a ELP deep dive, but I don't think I spent much time with this particular album, more with Trilogy and Brain Salad Surgery.

the Baba Yaga parts are pretty fantastic and out there, but also surprisingly well orchestrated/coordinated with the synth/drumming. And I love me some Hammond B3.

3/5
Drugs. There is no beyond. Everything about this screams a bong rip of some crazy shit.

3/5
Glad someone else dug those parts too. I also love the Hammond.

Of the little bits of ELP I've heard before, I'd definitely take their more simple acoustic guitar songs like "From the Beginning" over their usual keyboard-driven sound, though I don't think this is a bad record. It's an interesting listen at least, but I totally get why others (especially those who don't like prog rock in general) wouldn't dig this. 3/5
favs: "The Sage", "The Old Castle"
least fav: "The Hut of Baba Yaga (Pt. 1)"

Back