The Official Needles and Grooves 1001 Album Generator Project (aka Preachin’ about the Preachers if today’s selection sucks)

4/24/23
e368b28be0abbf0d38660fd9dfc04de63eb5fdb5

Steely Dan - Can't Buy a Thrill

Allmusic Review:

RIYL:

This one even has a Steely Dan song I like on it. 1/5

4/24/23
e368b28be0abbf0d38660fd9dfc04de63eb5fdb5

Steely Dan - Can't Buy a Thrill

Allmusic Review:

RIYL:

So, if these dildos are named after a sex toy, is "Dirty Work" about a sex toy going on strike?

I don't know yet if this is a 1 or 2 for me but it's definitely not something I plan to listen to again other than when it comes up in my personal project - and even then, begrudgingly.

Yeah, 1/5 for me.

I listened to T Rex and Steely Dan today, since I own both of them on vinyl. I give them a 4 and 3 respectively.

I'm honestly surprised by all the Steely Dan hate here.
As a former Steely Dan hater myself, I get it. They are an easy band to rag on. Once I allowed myself to give them an honest listen I finally understood the appeal and embraced there clinically pristine production of easy listening jazz-rock fusion cut against biting sardonic witty lyrics. It works for me.

I like Steely Dan, this album is weak, but Steely Dan is good. Aja is an all time classic. I have slowly been checking out their other albums and they are all better than Can't Buy a Thrill and I gave it a 3, so I don't hate it. It just is (mostly) not as inspired as their later albums.

Be sure to read the first paragraph by @scotthilk in the second post. It's truth.
Ok, so that pretty much sums up every emotion I have about this record. Listening to it in full today for the first times in years only reinforce my belief that this is one of the cornerstones of rock n' roll. A masterpiece. 5 stars doesn't really feel enough, just considering I got chills and nearly cried when "Never Understand" kicked into gear. One of those songs that I leaned on during my late teens and that just made me feel alive.

Last edited:
Back