The Official Needles and Grooves 1001 Album Generator Project (aka Preachin’ about the Preachers if todays selection sucks)

7/18/24
View attachment 208798
Billy Bragg & Wilco - Mermaid Avenue

I've been spinning this album constantly this spring and summer. I'm not too familiar with Bragg either, and this was one of the last Wilco albums I came to when first exploring them about a decade ago. It's right up there with their best regular studio albums.

"California Stars" is obviously a great song but might be their most overrated. "Walt Whitman's Niece" is an incredible opener and sets the perfect tone for the record. 5/5.

Also recommend the doc Man in the Sand on the story behind and making of this album.

Personally, I enjoy a lot more of Bragg's work than Wilco's. The latter has never fully clicked for me, even though there are albums, songs, and associated projects that I do love. But Bragg's music, especially his early albums, speak to me in a very enjoyable way that engages my thoughts more fully with the music making it more active listening than just enjoyable listening. Life's a Riot with Spy vs Spy is a brilliant start and one I love returning to. Strongly recommend starting with that debut if you dip your toes in his catalog.

Personally, I enjoy a lot more of Bragg's work than Wilco's. The latter has never fully clicked for me, even though there are albums, songs, and associated projects that I do love. But Bragg's music, especially his early albums, speak to me in a very enjoyable way that engages my thoughts more fully with the music making it more active listening than just enjoyable listening. Life's a Riot with Spy vs Spy is a brilliant start and one I love returning to. Strongly recommend starting with that debut if you dip your toes in his catalog.

Same although Billy Bragg has a bit of a cultural pull here too. Being a miner’s son my dad was very into his stuff a lot when I was a kid. Spy vs Spy is great, even if I prefer Kristy’s version of the biggest hit, but it’s the next two, Brewing Up With Billy Bragg and Talking to the Taxman About Poetry, that I really love.

7/17/24
View attachment 208694
Sinead O’Connor - I Do Not Want What I Haven’t Got

Beautiful voice. Courageous artist. Was able to fire her rage both abroad at the terrible things that were done to Ireland and that the Irish did to themselves. She wanted to be a protest singer like Bob Dylan, not a pop star. In spite herself she managed both.

I've been spinning this album constantly this spring and summer. I'm not too familiar with Bragg either, and this was one of the last Wilco albums I came to when first exploring them about a decade ago. It's right up there with their best regular studio albums.

"California Stars" is obviously a great song but might be their most overrated. "Walt Whitman's Niece" is an incredible opener and sets the perfect tone for the record. 5/5.

Also recommend the doc Man in the Sand on the story behind and making of this album.
I did not know about this Documentary.

Thanks to @Hemotep and @Joe Mac for some priming on Bragg.

7/19/24
View attachment 208896
Steely Dan - Aja

Hmm.
Oh, I know:
I loved this album before I was an audiophile (or aware of the condition). I blame De La Soul.
faf5d4ec83540107213c878fa39abf06.gif

Rating: 1/5 [Awful]

Not on this LP, but Jimmy Page's favorite guitar solo (outside of any of his own) is by Elliott Randall on a Steely Dan record.

Fagan and Becker thought the solo sucked which, I guess, is further evidence of their musical inferiority?

Last edited:
7/19/24
View attachment 208896
Steely Dan - Aja

It’s a wonderful album excellently crafted. superb musically with biting hilarious lyrics. What’s not to love.

Aja and Joni Mitchell’s mid 70s output share much of the same influences sonically speaking. Also Japanese City Pop of the late 70s and early 80s was deeply indebted to Steely Dan’s fusion of Jazz and Rock music.

It’s a wonderful album excellently crafted. superb musically with biting hilarious lyrics. What’s not to love.

Aja and Joni Mitchell’s mid 70s output share much of the same influences sonically speaking. Also Japanese City Pop of the late 70s and early 80s was deeply indebted to Steely Dan’s fusion of Jazz and Rock music.

Kinda like @TenderLovingKiller®, I don't fully understand the vitriol aimed at Steely Dan, but it's all personal taste. There are bands folks love here that I wouldn't spend one thin dime on because I don't value their music. On the rebound, there are bands I adore that others think are worthless garbage. It all comes down to a personal connection...or disconnect.

Everyone has their own taste. And ultimately, if you love it, it's the best music for you. If you don't love it, it's the best music for someone else. One thing I don't think anyone can argue - this is a spectacularly recorded album, and a good pressing sonically sparkles on damn near any system.

I guess the ultimate message here is........ @Mather Don't Lose That Number.

Last edited:
Back