The Official Needles and Grooves 1001 Album Generator Project (aka Preachin’ about the Preachers if todays selection sucks)

Brothers in Arms. It took me a bunch of listens to appreciate it. I also have the mofi which was a PIF from @Mather because someone tagged me after strong initial reactions from me when we pulled it here.

It’s also really one of them audiophile records, it sounds so good that you end up enjoying it.
That’s my least favorite too. The earlier albums are more to my liking.

I have 4 Dire Straits albums. I think this one is my favorite of the 4

I have one. It’s probably my least favorite. (The one I have). Lol

The first 4 along with Alchemy Live are pretty much a coin flip for me when it comes to most enjoyable. They're all really good.

I still think my regular old pedestrian copy of Making Movies I bought in 1980 during my college daze is one of the best sounding LPs I have.

I still don’t know he drove man. I tried to drive us a block to the convenience store one time, got lost and swore to never try that again.

Didn’t take though, the last time I ever took LSD, I drove home from Charlotte after seeing the Orb… the universe told me that my girlfriend, soon to be first wife, was pregnant with first born. On the way back to Chapel Hill, I saw like fifty police cars chasing a black GTO down I-40.

Talk about paranoia.

7/25/24
View attachment 209431
The Mats Volta - Deloused in the Comatorium

VMPcore. Jesus fucking christ.
Vocals that do enough to totally ruin some interesting instrumentals. Another reason for me to stay off the progressive rock lane (for as often as possible).

Rating: 1.5/5 [Bad]

7/29/24
View attachment 209776
Alice In Chains - Dirt

In my opinion, the best album among the "Big 4" from the Seattle grunge scene. It is a twisted world carved out with gorgeous violence and despair, if you can believe that. The inner demons Layne Staley expressed are wholly enrapturing; wading across the desolated musical landscape has you strapped in the shotgun seat of his mental headspace. No weak moments, but a handful of terrifying ones. Devastatingly bleak.

I tried to knock a point (or a half point) off, as I don't necessarily like to give perfect scores frequently at all. I can't justify doing that here. It has aged supremely well over three decades later. The crossover into stoner/doom is a characteristic I've only noticed recently, but has provided a new perspective to experience this seminal recording. In many ways, it helps to view the album under a different lens, and has shown me that Alice in Chains are more musically versatile than at first glance. I have deep appreciation for what Layne, Jerry, and the boys have perfected here.

Rating: 5/5 [Masterpiece]

In my opinion, the best album among the "Big 4" from the Seattle grunge scene. It is a twisted world carved out with gorgeous violence and despair, if you can believe that. The inner demons Layne Staley expressed are wholly enrapturing; wading across the desolated musical landscape has you strapped in the shotgun seat of his mental headspace. No weak moments, but a handful of terrifying ones. Devastatingly bleak.

I tried to knock a point (or a half point) off, as I don't necessarily like to give perfect scores frequently at all. I can't justify doing that here. It has aged supremely well over three decades later. The crossover into stoner/doom is a characteristic I've only noticed recently, but has provided a new perspective to experience this seminal recording. In many ways, it helps to view the album under a different lens, and has shown me that Alice in Chains are more musically versatile than at first glance. I have deep appreciation for what Layne, Jerry, and the boys have perfected here.

Rating: 5/5 [Masterpiece]
I'm on vacation, so instead of making a post with my own thoughts I'll just co-sign everything you said. Grunge/Hard Rock/Metal masterpiece. 5/5.

Back