The Official Needles and Grooves 1001 Album Generator Project (aka Preachin’ about the Preachers if todays selection sucks)

Starting this now. Couple of thoughts during Genesis. This reminds me of Plastikman, as it moves in Let There Be Light it’s like Aphex Twin doing Big Beat. I like this a lot. Must have been a work listen.

This would have ruled the clubs back in the nineties.

There is a riff in Genesis that I think must have been lifted by Timberlake and Timberland for Filthy. I actual want to check the credits if that song.

Also, thing is pumping the bass through the fucking earbuds.

I also see what @TenderLovingKiller® is saying about brooding Daft Punk.

I waaay behind in this but I'm doing a marathon listening session at work today, to try to catch up on some of the stuff I hadn't heard before.

But first off: Suba yeasterday was delightful! Great vibe record that brightened my day immensly! It sounds like the summer!

Justice was a great start to this day. Had listened to it briefly when it was a VMP pick a couple of years back, but didn't really get hooked then. Today I could totally feel it!

The Streets was never really my thing. I actually bought Original Pirate Material when it came out since it was so hyped at the moment, but never really got hooked. There's something about the laidbackness of the delivery that I find it hard to come around to. This one is initially better though, but it's probably a more required listen and I don't see myself picking it up casually.

Currently on Bee Gees. It's....kinda weird.

Last edited:
French House is all the same in a good way. Daft Punk, Justice, Cassius, Modjo. It's all fun and funky. I miss the late 90s, early 00s.
I should listen to those other two groups. While I can hear the definite influence of Daft Punk in this album, I would have a hard time saying it is the same. The moodier vibe and the fun glitchy cut and paste feel of the music makes it very different. I’d be more likely to think D.A.N.C.E. was The Avalanches than Daft Punk.

But yeah funky, fun booty shaking music all around.

There's also half Daft Punk.
Sad they only made one single.
Video directed by Michel Gondry, back in the day when music videos were an art form.

Daft Punk made some of the best music videos ever. The videos with Spike Jonze.
I’ve got the 12” with a roulette wheel etched into side B. This was probably the song we listened to the most back in my club days. So many drugs were consumed with this track bumping in the background.

Also the Daft Punk Alive box set includes a bonus encore disc where they close out the set with “Music Sounds Better With You”. Good stuff!

Last edited:
I guess you can mix Bob Sinclair in that French House era. But the jump from Sinclair to David Guetta is too short. And there's a deep gap between Daft Punk and Guetta
And that's not a diss to Guetta. You don't get comercial top 40 radio and club hits without putting in the work. It's just different parts of the spectrum.

Last edited:
I love The Velvet Underground but I have a really hard time with listening to this album. I love certain aspects of it, like the beat of the title track (Moe Tucker is my favourite drummer of all time), the fuck-off attitude of putting a recitation of a college writing assignment as track two and the whole chaotic mess of Sister Ray. But I can barely manage to listen to the whole thing in one sitting without getting annoyed, which actually might be the point come to think of it. Still a must listen and brilliant piece of work.

Listened to John Lee Hooker yesterday, and that one was like the antithesis in form to VU. While VU turned blues into something threating, sardonic and malicious, Hooker almost turns it into easy listening on parts of that album. This was actually one of the first CD:s I owned as I got it in bundle with a couple of other albums when I bought my first CD player. Wasn't really hooked ( :sneaky: ) back then (as a teenage metal head/punk), but it wasn't unpleasant to listen to now, at least. But not really great either.

Now listening to The Mars Volta. I have only listened to this once before when it was picked up by VMP. I didn't like it. Still don't. Pretentious prog rock disguised as "edgy" alternative rock. Will turn this off and put on Terence Trent D'Arby/Sananda Maitreya instead. "Sign Your Name" and "Wishing Well" were huge hits when I was in junior high, but that's about all I know about it.

Last edited:
8/8/24
View attachment 210690
The Velvet Underground - White Light/White Heat

My favorite VU album is whatever I am playing at the time. VU and and Lou Reed really checks all the boxes for me. The fact this was released in 1968 Is even more mind blowing. 1968 is the height of hippy counter culture the music VU was creating was so influential and ahead of its time. Without VU you don’t get Bowie or The Stooges or Punk Rock in general. Even if the music isn’t everyone’s favorite you have to respect the influence their albums held over popular music movie forward.

My favorite VU album is whatever I am playing at the time. VU and and Lou Reed really checks all the boxes for me. The fact this was released in 1968 Is even more mind blowing. 1968 is the height of hippy counter culture the music VU was creating was so influential and ahead of its time. Without VU you don’t get Bowie or The Stooges or Punk Rock in general. Even if the music isn’t everyone’s favorite you have to respect the influence their albums held over popular music movie forward.
This album, in particular, is fascinating.

Back