The Official Needles and Grooves 1001 Album Generator Project (aka Preachin’ about the Preachers if today’s selection sucks)

8/8/24
View attachment 210690
The Velvet Underground - White Light/White Heat

I forgot to give a rating here.

Nearly perfect. The noise is insane for its time. "Sister Ray" is one of the greatest songs ever created, and must have been terrifying to experience for a first time listener in the late 60s.

I remain a detractor of how the record starts with the title track, however.

Rating: 4.5/5 [Outstanding]

You are beautiful @MyWifeHatesTrain, in every single way. Words can't bring you down.

Rating: 2.5/5 [Decent]
Awwww.

I like the hits. The rest sort of shows how we got to a singles lead world again. It’s long and some of it isn’t very good. A lot of filler. Just because a CD at standard resolution can hold 84 minutes of music doesn’t mean it needs to have 84 minutes of music.

So many potentially great (and not so great) albums in the 90s were ruined by the burning need to fill up a cd. Not every album needs a double albums worth of material.
I think that is one of the reasons I like Colemine so much. It’s clear that Terry and the artists he gravitates towards are making records. They shouldn’t be longer than 42ish minutes and they shouldn’t just be a collection of songs. There should be an ebb and flow. The need to flip the record shouldn’t be a total fucking surprise. Even the double album they made (the most recent Say She She) doesn’t overstay its welcome.

Growing up in the 90s meant I discovered many classic rock albums after I already loved a whole lot of contemporary Hip-Hop and Alt Rock so when I first fired up Napster to download some Hendrix, Zep and Creedence I was legit confused by the lack of tracks. Most these albums only had 6 to 10 tracks but what soon became obvious was these albums were all killer, no filler. I think CD made it too easy to queue up or skip over specific tracks that most artists just figured they might as well fill it up and let the fans decide for themselves.

Growing up in the 90s meant I discovered many classic rock albums after I already loved a whole lot of contemporary Hip-Hop and Alt Rock so when I first fired up Napster to download some Hendrix, Zep and Creedence I was legit confused by the lack of tracks. Most these albums only had 6 to 10 tracks but what soon became obvious was these albums were all killer, no filler. I think CD made it too easy to queue up or skip over specific tracks that most artists just figured they might as well fill it up and let the fans decide for themselves.
I think that is actually a more prevalent mind set in this day and age.

I remember stuff in the 90s being marketed as having the most music ever on it, maybe a Dream Theater release. Regardless, I think the industry was pushing it.

Oh you got a hit? Awesome, come back next week with 16 more songs. Sure the start up cost of studio time might be more but the cost to produce a cd is the same. If we get six more hits out of your album we’ll be RICH!!!

Back