Turntable more expensive than the cart VS Cart more expensive than the turntable

And the Grado Green3 kills on the Uturn Theory. It deserves a “better” cartridge, but for the foreseeable future, the Grado stays put. They should add the Grado as an option for those who don’t want an Ortofon 2m.

I've been considering switching from a 2m blue to a grado or something else for my fluance rt-85 but the ease of switching the stylus and not having to learn how to change a cart has been winning out big time

I've been considering switching from a 2m blue to a grado or something else for my fluance rt-85 but the ease of switching the stylus and not having to learn how to change a cart has been winning out big time
There are always considerations based on your own individual needs. I'd still have my UD if it wasn't becoming a chore and aggravation when mounting and setting up a cart. Going to a removable head shell was a need for me. Of course, I'm getting older, eyes and hands aren't as sharp as they used to be, but I get your point.

That said, learning how to do this, isn't as hard as you may think ;)

There are always considerations based on your own individual needs. I'd still have my UD if it wasn't becoming a chore and aggravation when mounting and setting up a cart. Going to a removable head shell was a need for me. Of course, I'm getting older, eyes and hands aren't as sharp as they used to be, but I get your point.

That said, learning how to do this, isn't as hard as you may think ;)
You're probably right

I'm firmly in the camp that the cost for the cart should not exceed that of the table. Agree that a higher end table can bring out more in a lower end cart than a lower end table can bring out in a higher end cart.

In general, a higher end cart should be more sensitive to vibration than a lower end one, with greater transducer accuracy. A higher end table should be better at minimizing spurious vibration than a lower end one, with greater rotational and tracking accuracy.

Since the idea is to get vibration from the record accurately, and from nowhere else, you can see how these combos might pair together. Higher transducer accuracy from a table with less vibrational isolation and less mechanical accuracy is not optimal.

Of course, there are diminishing returns. A $4000 SL-1200G will be a lot closer in isolation and mechanical accuracy to a $20,000 SL-1000R than a $1000 SL-1200 M7 will be to the SL-1200G.

I'm firmly in the camp that the cost for the cart should not exceed that of the table. Agree that a higher end table can bring out more in a lower end cart than a lower end table can bring out in a higher end cart.

In general, a higher end cart should be more sensitive to vibration than a lower end one, with greater transducer accuracy. A higher end table should be better at minimizing spurious vibration than a lower end one, with greater rotational and tracking accuracy.

Since the idea is to get vibration from the record accurately, and from nowhere else, you can see how these combos might pair together. Higher transducer accuracy from a table with less vibrational isolation and less mechanical accuracy is not optimal.

Of course, there are diminishing returns. A $4000 SL-1200G will be a lot closer in isolation and mechanical accuracy to a $20,000 SL-1000R than a $1000 SL-1200 M7 will be to the SL-1200G.
I should probably come out and state that I agree with all this and my own scenario is the result of 'downsizing' from a more expensive deck. THAT SAID, the Sol is certainly holding its own.

Back