Vinyl Me, D: A Free Record Club - Year Two Official Thread - 36 Winners - Like The First Post, You're In For 2024 - 108 Free Records Given Away So Far

i actually am at a weird place about this album pre first listen... i know of the artist and their work. in fact I own some of it on vinyl because a bunch of old records from the 80s were given back to me like 5 years ago and it was really cool. but they were only the first 4 albums they did when they had a much more traditional sound.. i do know of their iconic experimental work but not actually have listened to it much, so I am basically going into parts of this basically raw in a live show

i actually am at a weird place about this album pre first listen... i know of the artist and their work. in fact I own some of it on vinyl because a bunch of old records from the 80s were given back to me like 5 years ago and it was really cool. but they were only the first 4 albums they did when they had a much more traditional sound.. i do know of their iconic experimental work but not actually have listened to it much, so I am basically going into parts of this basically raw in a live show
oh wow that's....quite a ride. definitely check out the dedicated artist thread, there was someone not too long ago basically going through the discography album by album, really great conversations about it. the shift from the early singer-songwriter/troubadour style to the middle experimental period and then latter-day i-do-what-i-want lean-in is pretty distinct. those first i dunno, 6 albums are basically a whole different artist.

Before this album I had only heard of Tom Waits. I'm sure I had heard songs by him but wouldn't have recognized it as such. I really enjoyed the album. I loved the variety in music, which was all enjoyable. I liked feeling I had somehow been transported to a seedy circus on the docks of a nearly forgotten town in Nowhereland. Look (with wide eyes!) but don't touch, listen closely, and keep your wallet close. Drink what they hand you, but not too much unless you want to become the next circus member. No matter what, know you will never forget the experience. That is what listening to this album was like for me. It was awesome.

There were a few songs where I thought his voicebox was about to come out of his throat surrounded by years of cigarette fueled phlegm. Those were a bit tougher to enjoy, but it was only a couple. For the rest, I actually liked his unique vocal sound.

Great record choice (for me)! Thanks!

Before this album I had only heard of Tom Waits. I'm sure I had heard songs by him but wouldn't have recognized it as such. I really enjoyed the album. I loved the variety in music, which was all enjoyable. I liked feeling I had somehow been transported to a seedy circus on the docks of a nearly forgotten town in Nowhereland. Look (with wide eyes!) but don't touch, listen closely, and keep your wallet close. Drink what they hand you, but not too much unless you want to become the next circus member. No matter what, know you will never forget the experience. That is what listening to this album was like for me. It was awesome.

There were a few songs where I thought his voicebox was about to come out of his throat surrounded by years of cigarette fueled phlegm. Those were a bit tougher to enjoy, but it was only a couple. For the rest, I actually liked his unique vocal sound.

Great record choice (for me)! Thanks!
definitely wander into the tom waits thread. early tom waits is singer-songwriter torch singer, doesn't sound like this at all. middle period he gets weird and just keeps going

My ex-wife was not a fan. Anytime I'd play him, she'd describe him as the voice that smoked too much (especially late age TW; earlier is merely whisky-soaked in a humidor, while later is emphysema on a sun-damaged leather couch). TBF, I don't think she knew his name and I immediately knew who she meant when she said that; although usually in the sense of "Oh, you're playing THAT guy again..."

Might as well draw for the final VMD record of year two.

1723088154853.gif

DM incoming...

IMG_6141.jpeg

IMG_6142.jpeg

IMG_6144.jpeg

If you didn't cash in this year, don't despair - I'm doing the three-headed dog in 2025. Get in on it...

Listening to the album to the first time

The first thing you have to get used to is Tom Waits voice, because if you can't get into his voice this album might be unlistenable (like this is probably what Bob Dylan sounds like to my parents who hate Bob Dylan).. he is clearly stretching his voice to the most intense or can be, almost like howling wolf or Leonard Cohen going through his most demented state.

And when you get past that you're next obstacle is the instrumentation, that goes everywhere from blues to cabaret to alt rock and maybe jazz(??). It definitely has a lot of variety and no song sounds the same, which is a compliment.

The lyrics seen well constructed and interesting, but I can't pretend I understood them all and get all the deep meanings it has

The records themselves sounded pretty good, plenty of the room sound and precision.. sadly there is a minor warp that made it hard to just drop the stylus (I need a record pi soon)

Overall id say I liked the album. Very experimental but still has a wild side that makes each song interesting

Hey @4080 @LeeVing @The Voidoid - gonna get these out in the first half of the week. Got the holiday coming up and one going to Canada. Actually, based on recent experience, the one going to Canada will be the first to arrive.

I'll send tracking via DM.

I'm off my rocker and doing this for a third year so get in on the lunacy...

Looks like two have landed. Just waiting for the Canadian package for @4080 to arrive.

I love that it's 728 miles from me to @4080 but it has to travel 2669 miles to get there.

The USPS am more smarter than us.
Sometimes records need some sun and fun so they hit up Miami before they have to go to Chicago and finally take the dogsled up North!

Looking forward to their eventual arrival!

Back