Vinyl Me, D - A Free Record Club

This sounds like one of those cheesier-sounding 80's era blues records that my dad used to listen to when I was growing up, only with auto-tune! And I say cheesy as a compliment here. I'm not sure how else to describe it, but I think folks will know what I'm talking about.

I'll admit that I was a little hesitant about the auto-tune. Having Sorry You Couldn't Make It as my first introduction to Swamp Dogg, I didn't vibe with Love Loss and Auto-Tune. But I'll be damned if I wasn't bopping around in my work seat listening to these tunes! Guess I need to revisit LL&AT again soon..

I realize I haven't added anything to this thread about this month's albums, so here it goes.

When I opened the box, I almost cried a little bit. The Howlin Wolf album means a lot to me as he is an artist that I spent a lot of time with and have shared with as many people as possible. In fact, my kids and I had dance parties to "Wang Dang Doodle" during the pandemic and I will always cherish a memory like that.

As far as the Paul Butterfield Blues Band album... Disappeared of my life about 15 years ago where I was listening to this album a lot. I enjoyed not just the blues aspects, but the way that they skirted around different tonal modalities and chord changes in their improvisations. I was also very blessed at that time to do a couple gigs with Mark Naftalin, which also sparked my interest in this album.
Interestingly, the exact same day that the box arrived, I went out to watch the Bill Frisell trio perform. In case you did not know, Bill Frisell also has an album called "East/West" which, beyond being related to where things were recorded, was a tribute in name to the PBBB album.

In short, without even realizing it, the two albums from this particular month, were not just albums I enjoyed but had personal significance for me as a person and a musician.

I am honored to be a part of this :)

Back