Vinyl Me Please Essentials

I've been a member since 2015. I hopped on at Hot Chip. 2015 was also my favorite year of releases followed by 2017. I've never had a problem with their curation for AOTM. However, I think the whole thing got turned on its head when they decided to add the "Essentials" tag on the AOTM to differentiate it from the other track. People started having that whole "this isn't an essential pick" conversation then whereas it was never even a topic of discussion prior to that.

I have all the VMP releases (outside of Sylvan Esso which I gifted to someone) and I have always been happy with that as I am a completionist. However, this past 6-8 months have made it less appealing to own all AOTMs that now fall under Essentials. I'll probably hop off when my year is up and just console myself that I have the complete catalog up until the point where I stopped caring.

I've been a member since 2015. I hopped on at Hot Chip. 2015 was also my favorite year of releases followed by 2017. I've never had a problem with their curation for AOTM. However, I think the whole thing got turned on its head when they decided to add the "Essentials" tag on the AOTM to differentiate it from the other track. People started having that whole "this isn't an essential pick" conversation then whereas it was never even a topic of discussion prior to that.

I have all the VMP releases (outside of Sylvan Esso which I gifted to someone) and I have always been happy with that as I am a completionist. However, this past 6-8 months have made it less appealing to own all AOTMs that now fall under Essentials. I'll probably hop off when my year is up and just console myself that I have the complete catalog up until the point where I stopped caring.
Hi! I've missed you. Where ya been? Come JQBX with us!

We joined on the same record! But I jumped off a while ago.

Joined at the start of 2016.

We had a good rookie year that season, but 2017 we really hit it out of the park. Hell our bench was so deep we spun off a whole 2nd team. But really since 2018 we have been living on past glories. The seats are half full and most of the punters coming out the games are there to boo us, hurl insults and toss their over-priced, watered down beer at us.

Hi! I've missed you. Where ya been? Come JQBX with us!
Hi Teeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee! The last two weeks have been nutbar for me in terms of work. So it’s left very little time for any pleasurable things. But I miss you too! And hope to be back on the JQBX wagon in earnest next week.

We joined on the same record! But I jumped off a while ago.
Twins!!! This is why we get along so well. That and pretty much everything else, that is.

I have to say, I’m regretting my decision not to cancel earlier this year.

I like U.F.O. OK. It’s just there are other lesser known albums from a similar ballpark that are 100 times better. Something like No Other by Gene Clark isn’t that well known but is just a superb album that gets better with each listen. For their ultimate crate digger album too, I had already heard this. The Lewis album was a better LITA gem. It’s fine, really, but with charging $42 for one month for an overseas subscription this won’t be tempting me soon. Plenty of copies on eBay next month anyway.

Perfume Genius is missing from 2014. It was my 1st month. I think several old timers on here joined during that month also.

I joined myself for April 2015 as an experiment, without knowing what the AOTM was but was interested in seeing how the experiment would turn out. [Turns out it was Menomena.]
I thought I was an old-timer... I tip my had to you.

As a side note, VMP has completely ignored my favorite era - the late 70s and 80s. Ok, there was Queen Latifa in RHH. Every other decade has had a ton of love.

But there are so many gems that haven't been reissued from the 80s. The last three Talking Heads (or a complete Stop Making Sense), the first album by The Go-Gos or the two Fine Young Cannibals LPs come to mind. Chris Isaak's 80s records.

Sometimes I wonder if a "sophomore slump" is common for members, but I feel like that's when things went up and down for me. I think 2017 was a great year for VMP, but I think it's also when they really went all in with become a business vs being a "club."

I attribute that to the smashing success of Demon Days. That record was the beautiful cash cow that tainted the water. It actualized a major accomplishment for the club, but showed the true business potential. And I think VMP has been entirely too focused on profit margins since then.

I attribute that to the smashing success of Demon Days. That record was the beautiful cash cow that tainted the water. It actualized a major accomplishment for the club, but showed the true business potential. And I think VMP has been entirely too focused on profit margins since then.
Definitely feel that was the case. I think Demon Days was what VMP had been building up to, for good or for bad.

As a side note, VMP has completely ignored my favorite era - the late 70s and 80s. Ok, there was Queen Latifa in RHH. Every other decade has had a ton of love.

But there are so many gems that haven't been reissued from the 80s. The last three Talking Heads (or a complete Stop Making Sense), the first album by The Go-Gos or the two Fine Young Cannibals LPs come to mind. Chris Isaak's 80s records.

Agree -lots of 70’s and 80’s artists neglected on VMP... imagine some of these being done..a nice curated title

Joni Mitchell, Bob Dylan , David Crosby , some funk.. James Brown , Stevie Wonder..then a bit of early Prince..some punk..post punk ..new wave ....synth pop . 80’s indie ...goth ... heck of a lot out there ....

Back