2024 July Challenge Thread - Welcome to Japan! (日本へようこそ!)

Day 27 / 2024.S7.E27 - Easy to Drink and Never Gets Boring (飲みやすく飲み飽きない) Play a record that you can play front to back multiple times in one day and not have an urge to switch.

I'll take this all day, every day...

Neil Young & Crazy Horse - Live Rust

IMG_6030.jpeg

Day 26 / 2024.S7.E26 - Someday the Dream Will End (いつか夢は終わる)
I’ll admit it, I was drawn into teamLab from the Instagram ads and what have you. At teamLab Planets in the Koto Ward (江東区), the attraction has you walking barefoot through various rooms with art installations, some that are filled with water that go knee deep. The art installations have celestial imagery on the walls, water, and props that provide a unique dreamscape atmosphere, enhanced with droney ambient music reverberating through the halls. However, the number of people this attraction brings in dampened the immersion I had hoped to get out of the attraction and ¥4000 admission ran high compared to other attractions I visited. In addition, my understanding is that the exhibitions do not change frequently…so unless my group wants to go, I’m thinking that the “replay value” is next to none; it was nice to experience, but I wouldn’t go out of my way to make a reservation again. Play a record that features eye-catching (subjective, of course) artwork.

Masumi Hara (原真澄) - 4 x A Dream (夢の4倍)

20240727_131212.jpg

Angular, geometric, and unique artwork, with a face faintly visible. The music is equally as obtuse, bizarre, and singular. At first, the listener might be inclined to believe that they are in for a relaxing (albeit strange) ambient pop record, but the mood shifts at the start of the second track "夜の中の夜", a minimal synth, artsy avant-pop recording with vocals that skirt the lines of spoken word. There's even experimentation with dub music.
A great pick for those curious about digging deeper. Hara's vocals will undoubtedly turn a few people off.

Day 16 / 2024.S7.E16 - Even Monkeys Fall From Trees (猿も木から落ちる)
Play a record that you might have regretted purchasing for whatever reason (outright didn’t enjoy, ignored Discogs warnings, realized it was already owned, artist/band turned out to be problematic, etc.). Alternatively, play an album that you regretted selling and ultimately purchased again later!

This is kind of difficult as I don't usually regret any purchases or sell anything to have to buy back later. Something that I accidentally ordered 2 of was a fairly expensive box set pre-order that isn't cancelable...but as of ordering it in May and June of 2022 still hasn't shipped (Fuck Atom Age Industries)

I suppose I have regretted being a member of a few subscriptions where I wouldn't have bought something on my own, but that was kinda why I joined them in the first place. VMP relied too much on FOMO - and subscriptions like Terror Vision really don't release a lot soundtracks that I think are good enough to purchase. I think the biggest one I regret is the Terror Vision Cassette Club. It was mostly things I already had, but on cassette, which was a waste of money. The only thing I subscribe to this year is the WaxWork subscription, as I liked the releases they had planned this year. I think knowing what I'm gonna get helps when spending the money most subscriptions are asking for...going in blind used to be fine for something that was 20 bucks a record, but these 40-50 bucks a record subs are a bit cost prohibitive when you don't know what you are going to be getting.

This specific release I don't regret owning, I just wanted to play it, but it is a placeholder for all the other subscription releases that just take up space in my collection and will probably not get played more than once.

Koko Taylor – I Got What It Takes
Alligator Records – AL 4706, 1975/2018

VMP Classics

Pressed at GZ

ooCQTpO.jpg

RxgOok0.jpg

Im thinking of jumping on the Waxwork sub right now since im no long of VMP. Phantasm is of my favorite movies ever, Bubba Ho Tep rules, Salems Lot is fun, and then Barbarian is maybe the best horror movie ive seen in thr last 10 years. Exorcist and Haunted Hill are meh for me.

Have you enjoyed the sub experience with them?

Day 27 / 2024.S7.E27 - Easy to Drink and Never Gets Boring (飲みやすく飲み飽きない)
Play a record that you can play front to back multiple times in one day and not have an urge to switch.

I would have this on repeat when it was up on Spotify. I really don't know what is going on with this the rights to this album on the streaming platforms, but it's frequently on and then off. It's rarely there when I want to hear it. Good thing I have some MP3's on my PC.

Nick Cave & Warren Ellis – West Of Memphis (Original Soundtrack)
J-2 Music – J2002, 2014

#RSD14 - "RSD First" on white vinyl (hasn't been reissued since the RSD release)

Cut at Nashville Record Productions
Pressed at United Record Pressing

tzw95fd.jpg

GIRNHQr.jpg

Im thinking of jumping on the Waxwork sub right now since im no long of VMP. Phantasm is of my favorite movies ever, Bubba Ho Tep rules, Salems Lot is fun, and then Barbarian is maybe the best horror movie ive seen in thr last 10 years. Exorcist and Haunted Hill are meh for me.

Have you enjoyed the sub experience with them?

I've been doing their subscription since 2018 - and I think it's pretty good.

There's usually one release every year that is the one I really want - this year there are a couple. The deluxe Phantasm, since that is probably my favorite horror movie....but the others are titles I wouldn't mind owning.

Now that they have their own pressing plant, I haven't had too many issues. Pops and clicks just means the record probably needs a cleaning, and usually that fixes them. I do wish they had a bit better quality control, but I haven't had too many issues where I've needed a replacement. When they have had major issues with a release they will send out replacement copies - they had a defect in 2021 with Killer Klowns and had new copies pressed that were totally different masters DMM cut from GZ

Also something to be aware of - since 2019 they have gone into the next year with some of the releases being delayed. At the time this seemed the norm with Covid and all, but I think it's not all Covid related when it is still happening this past January.

Day 28 / 2024.S7.E28 - Handcrafted Souvenirs (手仕込みお土産)
Play a record that you received as a gift. If that hasn’t happened, play a record that you purchased with money received from a holiday/birthday.

My mom and dad gave me this very record as a Christmas present in 1976. They were the best.

The lyrics of this song conveyed a very different meaning to me after Brad Delp's suicide. Hope he found peace...

Boston - S/T

IMG_6039.jpeg

Last edited:
Phantasm is of my favorite movies ever

The deluxe Phantasm, since that is probably my favorite horror movie....but the others are titles I wouldn't mind owning.

I agree...here's what I have on top of my right speaker -

20240727_234035.jpg

I also have a couple copies of the score from Mondo, but looking forward to the deluxe version w/ more tracks.

(don't mind the dust)

Day 26 / 2024.S7.E26 - Someday the Dream Will End (いつか夢は終わる)
I’ll admit it, I was drawn into teamLab from the Instagram ads and what have you. At teamLab Planets in the Koto Ward (江東区), the attraction has you walking barefoot through various rooms with art installations, some that are filled with water that go knee deep. The art installations have celestial imagery on the walls, water, and props that provide a unique dreamscape atmosphere, enhanced with droney ambient music reverberating through the halls. However, the number of people this attraction brings in dampened the immersion I had hoped to get out of the attraction and ¥4000 admission ran high compared to other attractions I visited. In addition, my understanding is that the exhibitions do not change frequently…so unless my group wants to go, I’m thinking that the “replay value” is next to none; it was nice to experience, but I wouldn’t go out of my way to make a reservation again. Play a record that features eye-catching (subjective, of course) artwork.

Tom Tom Club "Tom Tom Club" (1981 Sire Japan)
Cool art.

IMG_1730.JPG

Day 27 / 2024.S7.E27 - Easy to Drink and Never Gets Boring (飲みやすく飲み飽きない)
Before I took the plane ride to Japan, I made a reservation to the Kirin Brewery for first event of the morning for Day 2 in Yokohama (横浜). For only ¥500, I participated in a ~90min tour through the HQ of Kirin where I learned how the beer was brewed, what hops were used (and taste test), played a few interactive touchscreen games, and realized that the varieties of Kirin were far more numerous than I thought existed. I got to taste samples of the malted barley before moving on to the remainder of the process. At the very end, each person was provided a full glass of the standard “Kirin Ichiban” flavor, along with generous pours of three seasonal Kirin brews and a snack sampler. Play a record that you can play front to back multiple times in one day and not have an urge to switch.

Neil Young "Tonight's The Night" (1975 Reprise Japan)
I enjoy this one from front to back, pressing sounds fantastic - Japanese vinyl with US stampers, what's not to love?

IMG_0051.JPG

Day 28 / 2024.S7.E28 - Handcrafted Souvenirs (手仕込みお土産)
Play a record that you received as a gift.

These days I only get gifts or free records from secret santas or randomly when I flatten records for someone (I don't charge, but don't say no to gifts of records)

For this day's theme I'm going to the one and only time my wife gifted me a record. I don't even know how she knew about the release, but I'm sure she knew I wouldn't have bought it on my own...I was holding out hope for a cheaper, non-boxed set release. But she surprised me after we moved into our new house back in 2012 (we didn't live there too long).

I don't get this set out all that often, as it's a bit unwieldy, and streaming it sounds just fine when I'm playing it low in the background or sleeping.

Trent Reznor / Atticus Ross – The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo
The Null Corporation – NULL 002, 2012

6xLP - 96kHz, 24bit USB drive - numbered/limited to 3000, #560

Pressed at Rainbo

271Ei6v.jpg

mLFeccc.jpg

n893i3T.jpg

There's some comments on the Disgos page that the USB drive no longer works for people...but I just checked mine and it seems to work just fine. I moved these FLAC files to my hard drive years ago, but I also copied an MP3 folder of the tracks back on the drive. Being an 8 gig drive it had plenty of room to have both.

Back