2024 July Challenge Thread - Welcome to Japan! (日本へようこそ!)

Day 21: I Will Leave it to You (お任せします)
Play a record that can be categorized by two or more genres/subgenres.

Geinoh Yamashirogumi - Akira Symphonic Suite
IMG_6460.jpeg
This is a soundtrack. It also has electronic, classical elements and given the source material it could probably fit into the gigantic “world” music umbrella as well.

Day 25: A City That Never Sleeps (寝ない都市)
Play a record that could be appropriate in a lounge setting for late night hours.

800 Cherries - Romantico
IMG_6464.jpeg
The 90s were the height of “Space Age Bachelor Pad” music. Carrying a very retro futuristic vibe Stereolab, Air, “Dead Weight” era Beck, etc. all leaned heavily into this style. Japanese group, 800 Cherries would fit the bill as well. This album from 1998 (a recent discovery on my part) would likely be right up our host, @Rip_City ’s alley too.

Last edited:
Play a record that could be appropriate in a lounge setting for late night hours.

800 Cherries - Romantico
View attachment 209496
The 90s were the height of “Space Age Bachelor Pad” music. Carrying a very retro futuristic vibe Stereolab, Air, “Dead Weight” era Beck, etc. all leaned heavily into this style. Japanese group, 800 Cherries would fit the bill as well. This album from 1998 (a recent discovery on my part) would likely be right up our host, @Rip_City ’s alley too.

Funny I almost played my copy that arrived today. I do need to get a proper sleeve for it like you did.

800 Cherries - Romantico
View attachment 209496

I do remember listening to this a few years ago. Very good.

Day 25 / 2024.S7.E25 - A City That Never Sleeps (寝ない都市)
Shibuya Crossing (渋谷スクランブル交差点) is the most busy crossing intersection in the world, with several thousand people walking across with every signal change. There are many viewpoints that look down on the crossing; some with an admission fee, but many free of charge and unknown to most tourists. From where this photo was taken, the Shibuya Kyowa Building (渋谷協和ビル) on 21F, the crossing can be seen a couple of blocks in the distance. Play a record that could be appropriate in a lounge setting for late night hours.

Roxy Music "Avalon" (1982 Polydor Japan)

IMG_0012.JPG

Shibuya Crossing (渋谷スクランブル交差点) is the most busy crossing intersection in the world, with several thousand people walking across with every signal change. There are many viewpoints that look down on the crossing; some with an admission fee, but many free of charge and unknown to most tourists. From where this photo was taken, the Shibuya Kyowa Building (渋谷協和ビル) on 21F, the crossing can be seen a couple of blocks in the distance. Play a record that could be appropriate in a lounge setting for late night hours.

Takako Mamiya (間宮貴子) - LOVE TRIP

20240725_203925.jpg

One of my all time city pop faves, this fits the atmosphere inside a cramped, smoky bar/lounge in Shibuya (渋谷) or Asakusa (浅草) like a glove. Mamiya's lone record, with every track hitting the mark. Truly one of one in the genre.

Day 26 / 2024.S7.E26 - Someday the Dream Will End (いつか夢は終わる)
Play a record that features eye-catching (subjective, of course) artwork.

One of my favorite album covers of all time...

The Tubes - S/T

IMG_6023.jpeg

The music ain't bad either. For those new to The Tubes, they could play and had a keen sense of humor...

Last edited:

I figured vocals and piano is pretty lounge-y.

St. Vincent – MassEducation
Loma Vista – LVR00448, 2018

Cut by Joe Nino-Hernes at Sterling Sound
Pressed at Pallas

WJZfToz.jpeg

HWfmu4S.jpeg

Day 26 / 2024.S7.E26 - Someday the Dream Will End (いつか夢は終わる)
Play a record that features eye-catching (subjective, of course) artwork.

I don't know why it is exactly, but I've always loved the artwork used on this compilation.

Design/Layout by The Artful Dodgers

0gPYdXa.jpeg

Hawkwind – Stasis - The U.A. Years 1971-1975
EMI – NTS 300, 1990

Pressed at EMI Records

pkI3bNa.jpeg

isRuf85.jpeg

Back