Definitive Audiophile pressings

Those are all terrible titles but in a world where both Billy Ray Cyrus and Vanilla Ice sold millions of albums you guys can do better and by better I mean much much worse.

You’re going on record as saying that as shit as they are Achy Breaky Heart and Ice Ice Baby don’t revolt you as much as Butterfly?

Big call man, big call.

You’re going on record as saying that as shit as they are Achy Breaky Heart and Ice Ice Baby don’t revolt you as much as Butterfly?

Big call man, big call.
No, my argument is that they may be equally as bad but to earn masterbatory audiophile treatment you need to be terrible AND hugely popular. As ubiquitous as that track was that album didn’t sell nearly as well.

So after vehemently defending the objectivity of the audiophile thread I see we've swiftly transitioned to listing what music least deserves a One Step based on a sliding scale of how subjectively shit it is.
Solid afternoon audiophiles, I think my work here is done...

devil-rub-hands.gif

Last edited:
So after vehemently defending the objectivity of the audiophile thread I see we've swiftly transitioned to listing what music least deserves a One Step based on a sliding scale of how subjectively shit it is.
Solid afternoon audiophiles, I think my work here is done...

View attachment 210910
We all know the origin of the murder dungeon was when a hapless friend wandered into the vault of unmentionable music and had to be killed before he exposed your proclivity for utter shite to the world.

Alright audiophile jackasses, here's your extended Mofi 45 Folsom Prison review vs the RKS VMP pressing.

The RKS is very well done and beat out all the other modern pressings of this album I've tried. I've not heard an OG so I can't speak to those, but it pretty handily bested everything else I've heard. It's RKS so it's his usual style, it's mixed like a traditional rock record. Everything is punched up a bit, Cash's voice is brought forward in the mix and is now as loud if not louder than the guitars, but his voice sounds great, natural. The stage is fairly flat, not necessarily in a bad way, but it's crankable and every element of the songs will sound about even in volume. It sounds less dirty and live and more cleanly produced, like a messy live session that's been fixed up before release.

The biggest difference to this Mofi 45 is the width of the stage. The Mofi has a much deeper and wider stage, you can place the band members in 3D space on the stage in front of you. You feel like you're more in the room with the band... and the inmates. However it's by no means a huge stage, it's just got more depth than the fairly two dimensional VMP mix. But it's a 45 so it's to be expected that the stage will probably best a 33. In terms of the sound it hasn't been cleaned up as much as the RKS VMP. Levels between instruments are more varied, Cash's voice is recessed in the mix and the guitars and drums are playing over him to a degree. Again not really in a bad way, just a bit more messy and live sounding. I think his voice doesn't sound as natural on the Mofi as it does on the VMP. I think RKS did a great job cleaning up a pretty flawed recording. I prefer how his voice sounds on the VMP to the more rounded and somewhat muffled Mofi version. I'm not even sure muffled is the right word... "Softer" night be a better descriptor.

In the end I think it really comes down to personal preference. I think the 33 sounds great and it's very clean and a fun listen... and you don't have to get up and flip the record after 4 songs. The Mofi 45 sounds a bit more chaotic and live, and you feel like you're more in the room with the performers. However that being said I think that this is very system dependent and that your mileage may vary depending on your rig. I'm not sure these differences would be particularly noticeable on everyone's systems. It's by no means a massive difference. Ultimately I don't think you can go wrong with either.

Alright audiophile jackasses, here's your extended Mofi 45 Folsom Prison review vs the RKS VMP pressing.

The RKS is very well done and beat out all the other modern pressings of this album I've tried. I've not heard an OG so I can't speak to those, but it pretty handily bested everything else I've heard. It's RKS so it's his usual style, it's mixed like a traditional rock record. Everything is punched up a bit, Cash's voice is brought forward in the mix and is now as loud if not louder than the guitars, but his voice sounds great, natural. The stage is fairly flat, not necessarily in a bad way, but it's crankable and every element of the songs will sound about even in volume. It sounds less dirty and live and more cleanly produced, like a messy live session that's been fixed up before release.

The biggest difference to this Mofi 45 is the width of the stage. The Mofi has a much deeper and wider stage, you can place the band members in 3D space on the stage in front of you. You feel like you're more in the room with the band... and the inmates. However it's by no means a huge stage, it's just got more depth than the fairly two dimensional VMP mix. But it's a 45 so it's to be expected that the stage will probably best a 33. In terms of the sound it hasn't been cleaned up as much as the RKS VMP. Levels between instruments are more varied, Cash's voice is recessed in the mix and the guitars and drums are playing over him to a degree. Again not really in a bad way, just a bit more messy and live sounding. I think his voice doesn't sound as natural on the Mofi as it does on the VMP. I think RKS did a great job cleaning up a pretty flawed recording. I prefer how his voice sounds on the VMP to the more rounded and somewhat muffled Mofi version. I'm not even sure muffled is the right word... "Softer" night be a better descriptor.

In the end I think it really comes down to personal preference. I think the 33 sounds great and it's very clean and a fun listen... and you don't have to get up and flip the record after 4 songs. The Mofi 45 sounds a bit more chaotic and live, and you feel like you're more in the room with the performers. However that being said I think that this is very system dependent and that your mileage may vary depending on your rig. I'm not sure these differences would be particularly noticeable on everyone's systems. It's by no means a massive difference. Ultimately I don't think you can go wrong with either.
Thank you.
I had to read the ENTIRE review with a Johnny Knoxville voice in my head.

Oh also, although I have not yet done a direct comparison, the Luthans Skip James is very good, it's probably better than the PP KPG (played it a couple of days ago) but it's not by a whole hell of a lot, also it's got an edge warp which isn't normal for QRP. Voice is about the same on both, bit more presence and stage on the Luthans cut in terms of the entire sound. Guitar might be slightly improved in terms of clarity and punch on Luthans, but it's very close. And that bass that I'd mentioned hearing on the PP is on this one too and I think it might be his foot tapping on a carpeted floor in the studio. It's in time to the 4/4 beat but it's a very low room echo type of sound, suspect it's his foot. Doesn't sound sharp enough to be his hand on the guitar body. But either way it's cool and it's audible on both of them.

Okay aaaand I just did a direct comparison between the OJC Pure Pleasure and the Luthans OJC Bluesville pressing... they're SO close. So so so close. What I said above stands, the only difference is slightly more stage on the Luthans and SLIGHTLY more guitar punch and clarity. But like... SLIGHTLY. Anyone on Hoffman claiming the new one blows away the KPG OJC is either hearing something I ain't, or they lyin' yo.

For reference (for anyone new that doesn't already know everyone's systems here):
Soundsmith Paua MKII
VPI Signature Classic
Halo JC3+

Last edited:
Back