Equipment Recommendations - The Home For New System and Upgrade Advice

So I’m looking at some new speaker wire. The run to my right speaker is right on its limit and the speaker wire is a bit too tense for my liking.

Looking at the BJ cables and wondering which way to go. My speakers have bi wire terminals, as do the q acoustics that I’m looking at for my upgrade, so should I get the canare 14 gauge wire with 2 bananas amp side, and 4 speaker side, and bi wire or just get the 10 AWG blue jean cable and leave the jumpers on the speaker terminal. Bi wire will be £99.50 for the 3m I need and the BJ10 will be £70.50. Also going to pick up a quad matched set of EH KT88 tubes too

Any feedback/advice will be as welcome as ever.

Also going to pick up a quad matched set of EH KT88 tubes too, fancy a change again from the stock quad tubes that I’ve been using since one pair of the GL’s gave up.

Last edited:
So I’m looking at some new speaker wire. The run to my right speaker is right on its limit and the speaker wire is a bit too tense for my liking.

Looking at the BJ cables and wondering which way to go. My speakers have bi wire terminals, as do the q acoustics that I’m looking at for my upgrade, so should I get the canare 14 gauge wire with 2 bananas amp side, and 4 speaker side, and bi wire or just get the 10 AWG blue jean cable and leave the jumpers on the speaker terminal. Bi wire will be £99.50 for the 3m I need and the BJ10 will be £70.50. Also going to pick up a quad matched set of EH KT88 tubes too

Also going to pick up a quad matched set of EH KT88 tubes too, fancy a change again from the stock quad tubes that I’ve been using since one pair of the GL’s gave up.
I’d opt for a normal 2 banana run with dedicated spade jumpers in the same cable. Tidier I think and I’m not sure of a material benefit in running 2 into 4.

I’d opt for a normal 2 banana run with dedicated spade jumpers in the same cable. Tidier I think and I’m not sure of a material benefit in running 2 into 4.

Its really running 4 into 4 with bi wire cable like that, has 4 strands of cable it’s just that 1 end is terminated into 4 banana plugs and the other 2.

Its really running 4 into 4 with bi wire cable like that, has 4 strands of cable it’s just that 1 end is terminated into 4 banana plugs and the other 2.
Yes, sorry I was just quoting the number of bananas. Either will work well I guess. I run my q acoustics standard with standard jumpers but have also run them full bi-wired with my fathers amps. What do you have currently?

Yes, sorry I was just quoting the number of bananas. Either will work well I guess. I run my q acoustics standard with standard jumpers but have also run them full bi-wired with my fathers amps. What do you have currently?

I have just a set of QED (has some long silly name - maybe anniversaries X or something Daft like that) terminated 2m speaker wire. It is fine but 2m is a bit on the shorter side for my longest run so I thought I’d get the new wire now and it’d be transferable to the concept 500 when I eventually get around to buying them.

I'm not sure I'd bother with a 2 into 4 cable unless it was easy to convert it to 4 into 4. Otherwise, you're just setting yourself up for another cable replacement if you ever decide to bi-amp it.
At least the 2 into 2 will still have a place if you try that upgrade.

I'm not sure I'd bother with a 2 into 4 cable unless it was easy to convert it to 4 into 4. Otherwise, you're just setting yourself up for another cable replacement if you ever decide to bi-amp it.
At least the 2 into 2 will still have a place if you try that upgrade.

Yeah bi amping is not happening so that concern is moot. I already have 2 amps because I am running mono blocks! There isn’t a cat in hells chance that I would run 4 tube mono block amps, I’d need my own power station even if I had the space in my apartment! Its literally a bit of advice on the comparative merits of the bi wire cable against the normal cable that I’m looking for!

Last edited:
Yeah bi amping is not happening so that concern is moot. I already have 2 amps because I am running mono blocks! There isn’t a cat in hells chance that I would run 4 tube mono block amps, I’d need my own power station even if I had the space in my apartment! Its literally a bit of advice on the comparative merits of the bi wire cable against the normal cable that I’m looking for!
tenor.gif

I mean if someone fancies donating me a renewable power plant, the two extra mono block power amps and a larger apartment/house...

Edit: Oh yeah and a new preamp that can handle it too. Mine has XLR and RCA but that’s no good because the output at different levels and the power amps I have are RCA only.

I’d go biwire on the speaker end, but remove the jumpers on the speaker end.

Why not get a matched pair of GLs and run the pair you have?

I’d go biwire on the speaker end, but remove the jumpers on the speaker end.

Why not get a matched pair of GLs and run the pair you have?

Thanks! I’ll probably get those bi wire cables!

Yeah that’s true I could do that. I’ll have a look at the tube prices at the place in England I buy from and make my mind up!

Joe I love you like a brother so please just get 12ga wire from monoprice or someplace instead of paying for some fancy brand name. It's the same stuff.. copper 12 guage, get it.

Joe I love you like a brother so please just get 12ga wire from monoprice or someplace instead of paying for some fancy brand name. It's the same stuff.. copper 12 guage, get it.

@Joe Mac don’t buy wire from Monoprice. When @jaycee bought my Rogue amp, he had an issue with one channel going into protection. Turns out one of his Monoprice speaker cables was faulty. I’ve never seen that before.

And wire isn’t wire, although it’s pretty low as far as a value proposition. It can make a difference, but the price tends to be pretty high for the difference you get.

I’ve got just about what you’re referencing here. BJC 14 gauge canare and Concept 40 Q acoustics. Everything’s flawless.

BE765195-A8F7-4403-8A56-8073594A1870.jpeg

@Joe Mac don’t buy wire from Monoprice. When @jaycee bought my Rogue amp, he had an issue with one channel going into protection. Turns out one of his Monoprice speaker cables was faulty. I’ve never seen that before.

And wire isn’t wire, although it’s pretty low as far as a value proposition. It can make a difference, but the price tends to be pretty high for the difference you get.

I don't get how the wire could be faulty. copper is copper and even if it was cheap and downgraded to the quality/ability of 14 ga from 12 ga, short from a spilt in the wire, how was it faulty?

Edit: and don't get me wrong I have the utmost respect for you @HiFi Guy but I have never seen proof that special oxygen free super copper is better than basic wire.

I don't get how the wire could be faulty. copper is copper and even if it was cheap and downgraded to the quality/ability of 14 ga from 12 ga, short from a spilt in the wire, how was it faulty?

Edit: and don't get me wrong I have the utmost respect for you @HiFi Guy but I have never seen proof that special oxygen free super copper is better than basic wire.
You don’t see it because you hear it.
All I can say is give cables a chance when you’re in a position to do so, especially if it’s free and in a demo situation with a reveling system. If you don’t hear a difference, that’s great for you, enjoy saving the money. If you do, welcome to the wide and wonderful world of enjoying your system with upgraded cables.

You don’t see it because you hear it.
All I can say is give cables a chance when you’re in a position to do so, especially if it’s free and in a demo situation with a reveling system. If you don’t hear a difference, that’s great for you, enjoy saving the money. If you do, welcome to the wide and wonderful world of enjoying your system with upgraded cables.

I did a blind test at a high-end shop once and they basically laughed me out because I could consistently tell the difference but I kept preferring the cheaper cables to the stuff that was $250 a yard.

If I’m honest, though, the main thing keeping me from going to something like BJC is the fact that my setup, with two amps and a switch, plus a subwoofer, involves so many separate lengths of cable. $$$$

Back