Equipment Recommendations - The Home For New System and Upgrade Advice

I did a blind test at a high-end shop once and they basically laughed me out because I could consistently tell the difference but I kept preferring the cheaper cables to the stuff that was $250 a yard.

If I’m honest, though, the main thing keeping me from going to something like BJC is the fact that my setup, with two amps and a switch, plus a subwoofer, involves so many separate lengths of cable. $$$$
That's a pretty successful blind test in my book! Get to experience that cables can in fact make a difference, and discover that you get to save some cash for your preferences. Win/win!

Joe I love you like a brother so please just get 12ga wire from monoprice or someplace instead of paying for some fancy brand name. It's the same stuff.. copper 12 guage, get it.
I'll put in my 2 cents, I don;t think there is a need for uber expensive cables of any kind, BUT, as many have said and I'll agree with, it's always good to give it a try if and when you can, and I still contend that the amount of "difference" works in conjunction with the rest of you're system. Putting expensive interconnects, for instance, on a LP60 hooked up to a budget pair of powered speakers probably isn't going to yield much.

All that being said, there is one thing to consider in all this, expensive or not, if you have a fair amount of cables and equipment in your set up, cables with some nice shielding is probably a plus across the board. I "splurged" on Pangea cables across my entire main system, not the most expensive, probably in the low end when it comes to cost, but on the PLX system I'm planning on picking up some "decent" cables off Amazon for power cables just for the shielding, as for speaker cables, my NAD>Polks is using these and they've been just fine.

At the end of the day I think if you've gone the route of picking out some "quality" components in building your system it would be worth "experimenting" with some of the snake oil and decide for yourself, if we were a group like a certain "Other" forum I would be hesitant as a member when given advice, but I think the folks around here have shown that we aren't looking at things in a strictly "if its more expensive, it's better" mentality....... ie, Grado Gold V3 ;)

Last edited:
Update: since I’m currently using a mixture of wire gauges and qualities, and I’m going to have to dissemble the setup to some degree when the new vinyl cabinet comes this week, I ordered a 100 ft spool of BJC Twelve. Sure, the plugs won’t be welded, but it should be a step up. And it’s easier to swallow the price for the raw wire vs six pair of fixed length terminated cables.

On cables: I ran BJC for a long time, found them great though my wife absolutely hated the way they looked (the grey jacket... I don't know if that has changed in any way) and prior to that ran basic copper of a heavy-ish gauge. I'm not sure I could tell the difference.

In the most recent rabbit hole of high sensitivity speakers and the PrimaLuna I broke down and did the eBay ZuAudio. The build quality is a notable enhancement, they are authentically good looking cables, and I think they might (maybe... Confirmation Bias! Confirmation Bias!!! alert alert!) sound better -- but mostly it probably just gives me piece of mind that I've bought good enough runs of wire to not take away anything from a system that means I'll retire later or never :). I do remember reading a bit about when Kevin Gray redid his mastering chain that he found his cable (length and quality) made a difference.

Edit: the BJC do have the best plugs I've ever seen.

Last edited:
And speaking of rabbit holes... You like apples... How 'bout these apples:

Finally, someday soon ish, I'll be hopefully getting a long promised turntable upgrade. Does anyone have a short tool kit list of the things I must own to properly attach and adjust a cartridge to a headshell and get all the bits correct? (Vta, etc)?

I welcome anyone who happens to be in Toronto Canada to come to my house and listen to my system with all stock AC and RCA cables, and then with all upgraded BIS Audio Vivat/Maestro cables. The difference is staggering. I never would have believed it until I heard it myself, in my livingroom.

(disclaimer- We are in a pandemic so no you may not actually come to my house. But AFTER... maybe.)

Finally, someday soon ish, I'll be hopefully getting a long promised turntable upgrade. Does anyone have a short tool kit list of the things I must own to properly attach and adjust a cartridge to a headshell and get all the bits correct? (Vta, etc)?
Protractor (Hudson Hi Fi has a nice mirrored one)
Scale (VTF)
Azmuth Guage

Here's a little bundle -

Scale -

Protractor (Hudson Hi Fi has a nice mirrored one)
Scale (VTF)
Azmuth Guage

Here's a little bundle -

Scale -
Awesome. Thanks!

I welcome anyone who happens to be in Toronto Canada to come to my house and listen to my system with all stock AC and RCA cables, and then with all upgraded BIS Audio Vivat/Maestro cables. The difference is staggering. I never would have believed it until I heard it myself, in my livingroom.

(disclaimer- We are in a pandemic so no you may not actually come to my house. But AFTER... maybe.)

I'm sorry that I once again started the cable discussion. While I agree that there is a difference between cables supplied in the box or bought at the drug store and good quality upgrades, my point was to not go overboard.

I dont remember what @Joe Mac 's entire post was but when I saw 99 pounds/euro for speaker wire I couldn't believe it. I was an electrician/HVAC tech for years and believe the only thing that matters in that part of the chain is guage. You won't find any special cabling for 80k MRI machines or cloud computer clusters but somehow a hundred dollar cable in the audio world makes all the difference.. yet no manufacturer I know of has partnered with a cabling company to supply one in the box.

yet no manufacturer I know of has partnered with a cabling company to supply one in the box.
I'm guessing because the standard cable supplied is good enough for the majority of consumers, so they see no benefit in the added overhead. Just like the standard speakers that come with your TV may be good enough for most consumers, but you don't see those speakers being highly touted (let alone very good at all); so we then see a sizable demographic spring for the home theater system or sound bar to accompany their TV and add depth, bypassing the built-in speakers.

I'm sorry that I once again started the cable discussion. While I agree that there is a difference between cables supplied in the box or bought at the drug store and good quality upgrades, my point was to not go overboard.

I dont remember what @Joe Mac 's entire post was but when I saw 99 pounds/euro for speaker wire I couldn't believe it. I was an electrician/HVAC tech for years and believe the only thing that matters in that part of the chain is guage. You won't find any special cabling for 80k MRI machines or cloud computer clusters but somehow a hundred dollar cable in the audio world makes all the difference.. yet no manufacturer I know of has partnered with a cabling company to supply one in the box.

It was £90 for the pair BUT just bear in mind that is also including the locking banana plugs which retail at £7 a shot. So £7 x 6 is £42 per speaker. That’s £84 alone just to buy those terminations if I had already bought cheap wire. I’m comfortable with what I spent.

Last edited:

Pro Ject actually did start to include upgraded RCA cables with their mid range tables. Basically equivalent to a $60 cable or more.

Last edited:
Anyone want to help a neophyte and ignore cables for a bit? :)

So, I’ve had a very elementary level set up for years, but as my GF and I have begun to listen to more on vinyl and expand our collections it’s feeling like it’s time for an upgrade to something...well, decent, so I come for advice as the info is a little overwhelming. Especially as we get harder to replace items we want to spin. Assume we’re working ground up as we’ve been using all in ones by and large (I know...) and I’d like to banish my just-above-a-Crosley to my office

• Budget is low to moderate. I’d prefer to keep the set up at or under 300-400 for now but will expend more for the right option. This can be built on later but I expect most of the initial investment to be on the turntable but expect to cough up extra in the future for speakers and the like.
  • Space is at a premium. We have room for a table and smaller speakers and that’s really It. We have attached neighbors and too much stuff already. Any speakers would need to sit on a surface.
  • The full audiophile experience is not needed, main goals are a player that doesn’t cause excess damage and will do well in a moderately sized bedroom sound wise.
Any thoughts or suggestions? Feel free to direct me to a “this has been answered 1000 times” post too. Thank you!

So, I’ve had a very elementary level set up for years, but as my GF and I have begun to listen to more on vinyl and expand our collections it’s feeling like it’s time for an upgrade to something...well, decent, so I come for advice as the info is a little overwhelming. Especially as we get harder to replace items we want to spin. Assume we’re working ground up as we’ve been using all in ones by and large (I know...) and I’d like to banish my just-above-a-Crosley to my office

• Budget is low to moderate. I’d prefer to keep the set up at or under 300-400 for now but will expend more for the right option. This can be built on later but I expect most of the initial investment to be on the turntable but expect to cough up extra in the future for speakers and the like.
  • Space is at a premium. We have room for a table and smaller speakers and that’s really It. We have attached neighbors and too much stuff already. Any speakers would need to sit on a surface.
  • The full audiophile experience is not needed, main goals are a player that doesn’t cause excess damage and will do well in a moderately sized bedroom sound wise.
Any thoughts or suggestions? Feel free to direct me to a “this has been answered 1000 times” post too. Thank you!

Honestly, at 300-400 you’re looking at all of that going on a decent entry level table. It’d be pretty impossible to find the money for either passive speaker and an amp or even active speakers on top of a table within 400. If it was me I’d be looking u-turn orbit custom with an acrylic platter, Grado black 3 and cue lever. If you also require a phone stage I’d personally avoid u turns Pluto but as the budget is so tight if you do need to go there I’d advise the stand alone as it gives more scope for upgrading it, you can do so much better, down the road. The fluance RT82/83 might be another good option around that price.

Last edited:

I gotta agree with @Joe Mac, that's going to be tough at that budget, I'm just looking at it from an upgrade path later on down the line.
The best I could recommend that would be a good starting point with future options, would be the following:

• U-Turn Orbit (Acrylic platter / Cue Lever / AT91B cart just to keep the cost down) - $294.00
  • Schiit Mani Pre-amp (Quality at a low price) - $150.00
  • Edifier R1700BT Active Speakers (Small footprint, very good sound and Bluetooth if you want to stream) - $150.00

I guess you could go super basic on the Turntable, but I feel like then you'll be basically starting from scratch later on, with the Orbit as it stands above, just upgrading the cart will do wonders for it.

I gotta agree with @Joe Mac, that's going to be tough at that budget, I'm just looking at it from an upgrade path later on down the line.
The best I could recommend that would be a good starting point with future options, would be the following:

• U-Turn Orbit (Acrylic platter / Cue Lever / AT91B cart just to keep the cost down) - $294.00
  • Schiit Mani Pre-amp (Quality at a low price) - $150.00
  • Edifier R1700BT Active Speakers (Small footprint, very good sound and Bluetooth if you want to stream) - $150.00

I guess you could go super basic on the Turntable, but I feel like then you'll be basically starting from scratch later on, with the Orbit as it stands above, just upgrading the cart will do wonders for it.

I think if I wasn’t going for the Grado black 3 I’d not be considering u turn as an option and would instead be going for the fluance rt82 @ $299 for the servo motor and electronic speed change.

Back