Equipment Recommendations - The Home For New System and Upgrade Advice

Currently have the Pho8 as my Phono PreAmp and actually don't mind it at all. If I was to upgrade anything right now it would be my Phono Preamp. I have been thinking about the Sutherland Insight but not sure I want to make that big of leap. Question comes down to the Music Fidelity options vs the insight. Has anybody made the jump from Pho8 to the Mx-Vinyl? Or anybody just say skip the inevitable jump to the Insight?
For people who can't see my signature, got the PLX-1000 and Marantz PM8006 and very happy with those 2 pieces for now.

Currently have the Pho8 as my Phono PreAmp and actually don't mind it at all. If I was to upgrade anything right now it would be my Phono Preamp. I have been thinking about the Sutherland Insight but not sure I want to make that big of leap. Question comes down to the Music Fidelity options vs the insight. Has anybody made the jump from Pho8 to the Mx-Vinyl? Or anybody just say skip the inevitable jump to the Insight?
For people who can't see my signature, got the PLX-1000 and Marantz PM8006 and very happy with those 2 pieces for now.

I have the MX-VYNL and it’s an exceptional phono stage that has got better with the jump from an integrated Sony to a miles better PS Audio Pre and Quad Tube Power. It’s also shown more and more as I’ve upgraded carts from a 2M blue to a Gold2 to a Gold2 plus 8mz and finally to an Opus3. I haven’t however, heard the insight to compare but I’m very confident it’s miles ahead of the pho8 just because of people recently buying the LX2-LPS, it’s little brother, and preferring it to the pho8.

Is it not possible to buy a ground cable separately? I'm using the one that came with the Ultradeck which fits perfectly on the turntable but on the StudioPhono i have to attach it like this because the spade is a millimeter or two too small to fit:IMG_3565.jpeg

Would it work if i switched out the spades for something like this?

Is it not possible to buy a ground cable separately? I'm using the one that came with the Ultradeck which fits perfectly on the turntable but on the StudioPhono i have to attach it like this because the spade is a millimeter or two too small to fit:View attachment 64137

That's really odd considering they're both from MoFi and meant to work together. I would reach out to MoFi honestly and see what they say. And yes, you can by a separate ground wire, but I would still give a shout out first.

Is it not possible to buy a ground cable separately? I'm using the one that came with the Ultradeck which fits perfectly on the turntable but on the StudioPhono i have to attach it like this because the spade is a millimeter or two too small to fit:View attachment 64137

You can just stretch the spade a little with pliers.

That's really odd considering they're both from MoFi and meant to work together. I would reach out to MoFi honestly and see what they say. And yes, you can by a separate ground wire, but I would still give a shout out first.

Exactly. They're both MoFi so it should be an easy fit but for some reason the ground terminal is just a tad bigger.

I'll send them an email and continue my search for a ground cable, just in case.

Exactly. They're both MoFi so it should be an easy fit but for some reason the ground terminal is just a tad bigger.

I'll send them an email and continue my search for a ground cable, just in case.
Like @kvetcha said, you can just try pulling the spades apart, and if you buy one instead, doesn't have to be anything fancy, they have then on Amazon for a few dollars. In the end it's just a wire ;)

Like @kvetcha said, you can just try pulling the spades apart, and if you buy one instead, doesn't have to be anything fancy, they have then on Amazon for a few dollars. In the end it's just a wire ;)
Also, I'm pretty certain that any amount of connection for a ground wire does the trick. I don't know that's there's much difference between what you've got going on there and having it connected more securely.

I replied to the wrong person here but you get the picture...

Alright cart question for ya'll. Is the Goldring Ethos too much cart for my Pro Ject 2Xperience SB? or with it's light weight will it even work on my 9“ EVO tonearm?

What about if I only pay half the retail on the Goldring. Because that's what I pay on it.

Half price doesn’t turn MC into MI. And your running costs will drop substantially over time with each rebuild. MCs hit a point where the guts wear out and they are dead. That won’t happen with a Soundsmith. They can be rebuilt forever.

Another idea is a Nagaoka MP-500. Moving Iron with an advanced user replaceable stylus profile.

It's a Rega Aria, I'm not certain if I can do that or not. So it goes MM, MC, MI?

I was thinking of a Soundsmith model above the budget. The Rega won’t work with those- but will work fine with any of the higher output models (2.12 mV).

Moving magnet cartridges have the highest moving mass. When you can reduce mass, you gain detail.

Moving coil cartridges have lower moving mass. The magnets are stationary and the much lower mass coils are what moves (by being moved by the cantilever). Downside? Think of a coat hanger. Bend it back and forth. Eventually it gets metal stress and breaks. The same thing happens eventually with a moving coil. At that point, it’s dead. It cannot be rebuilt.

A moving iron cartridge (Goldring makes these too) has the lowest moving mass. Soundsmoth calls them “fixed coil”. Same thing. The only thing that moves inside the cartridge body is the cantilever. The magnets and coils are both stationary. You’ll get the most information out of the grooves with these because the cantilever isn’t taxed with moving another subassembly. Goldring, Soundsmith, Grado and Nagaoka all make MI designs. You also get a higher precision device-it’s easier to get one thing (the cantilever) in perfect alignment with the coils than 2 things- either the cantilever/coil or cantilever/magnet assembly. That’s why MI designs tend to have the best stereo separation.

Back