Equipment Recommendations - The Home For New System and Upgrade Advice

Anybody know a decent Digital (Toslink) cable to hook up to the Sprout100?
I have a not very big CD collection I'm not massively planning to expand (after getting rid of hundreds of CDs after getting my first ipod, dumb mistake looking back) so will just likely use my Sony Blu-ray Player or Xbox One with Groove app. Don't think it's worth the money or space for me to upgrade to a dedicated CD transport. I was looking at the Blue Jeans Optical Digital Audio Cable on their website, I'm assuming that should work fine?

It will be just fine. Digital is all 0 and 1 so as long as it’s properly shielded it’s not quite as important to have super fancy cable as it is for analogue. Did the new bits arrive yet? How are you finding them?

Anybody know a decent Digital (Toslink) cable to hook up to the Sprout100?
I have a not very big CD collection I'm not massively planning to expand (after getting rid of hundreds of CDs after getting my first ipod, dumb mistake looking back) so will just likely use my Sony Blu-ray Player or Xbox One with Groove app. Don't think it's worth the money or space for me to upgrade to a dedicated CD transport. I was looking at the Blue Jeans Optical Digital Audio Cable on their website, I'm assuming that should work fine?

Yes that will be perfect. Also, please let us know how you like the Sprout.

I’m of the opinion that any decent digital cable should perform identically in short runs.
It will be just fine. Digital is all 0 and 1 so as long as it’s properly shielded it’s not quite as important to have super fancy cable as it is for analogue. Did the new bits arrive yet? How are you finding them?
Yes that will be perfect. Also, please let us know how you like the Sprout.

Awesome, thanks. That's what I figured so glad I didnt pull the trigger on something fancy. Especially since I only need like a foot or two.

The Sprout got here on Saturday and looks beautiful but the Dentons just got here today (after the fedex guy "attempted" delivery yesterday), so havent had the chance to unpack them and hook up it up just yet. Really looking forward to putting it all together hopefully this evening.

Awesome, thanks. That's what I figured so glad I didnt pull the trigger on something fancy. Especially since I only need like a foot or two.

The Sprout got here on Saturday and looks beautiful but the Dentons just got here today (after the fedex guy "attempted" delivery yesterday), so havent had the chance to unpack them and hook up it up just yet. Really looking forward to putting it all together hopefully this evening.

Can't wait to hear your impressions!

Me too! I’m tempted to swap out my AV amp in my living room for a much smaller audio only unit...I’m moving toward a Sonos wireless surround for movies/TV/video games and then could use my Aries mini/Singxer DAC for listening to streaming...

Yeah as expensive as it is I do love my Sonos base + 1s as satellites, really tidy, sounds as good as I need for tv/films and it divorces my tele from the music system.

Yeah as expensive as it is I do love my Sonos base + 1s as satellites, really tidy, sounds as good as I need for tv/films and it divorces my tele from the music system.
I got a Sonos beam for a really good price the other week. My plan is to grab two of the ikea Sonos speakers as the rear speakers soon to complete the set. Then my AVR won’t really be necessary anymore and my fiancée will be happy if I lose that and replace it with a much smaller amp haha

I got a Sonos beam for a really good price the other week. My plan is to grab two of the ikea Sonos speakers as the rear speakers soon to complete the set. Then my AVR won’t really be necessary anymore and my fiancée will be happy if I lose that and replace it with a much smaller amp haha

Ah yeah and if the lamp ones are to taste and fit in with your decor then you can make them very inconspicuous althogether!

Give everything 100 hours or so to break in. If you like it cold out of the box, you’ll love it in 100 hours. And if you aren’t stoked out if the box, don’t despair, you may still end up quite happy. I’ve heard some gear make some pretty drastic changes during break in, and a few pieces way more than I expected.

I’ve got a pair if 85th Anniversary Lintons here (big brother to the Dentons) for a write up for you guys that will be up soon. Super short preview? Cold from the box, not bad, not bad at all. Once broken in- I’m quite taken with them.

The Dentons/Sprout combo is a nice setup and worlds better than you were originally considering. Fingers crossed that you dig it.

So, I didn't get to play them for too long yesterday but on first impression, I absolutely love them.

I'm no audiophile, and jumping from a pair of $99 Edifiers is obviously going to make a huge difference but they sound even better than I expected (new quality cables may have made a bit of difference too). I popped on one of my Tone Poets and I could hear the separation in instruments like I've never heard them before. As someone with a good amount of Jazz in my collection, it's going to be like listening to all the albums for the first time again.

In terms of the actual Sprout and the Speakers, they're beautiful and the setup was as painless as could be. Definitely happy y'all convinced me to go the Amp + Passive route. And everything fits in the limited space I wanted beautifully. Plus that light light hum the Orbit always made with the powered speakers is no more! I didn't realize how used to that I became until I powered on the sprout and wondered if it was even on because I didnt hear the hum.

I don't know how the Audioengine or Klipsch I was looking would have sounded in comparison, but I can't imagine being happier that what I have now. I feel like I finally have the speaker setup worthy of my collection and i can't wait to listen more on these.
Thanks again for your recommendations @Joe Mac @kvetcha, as neither the Sprout or the Dentons were even on my radar before this.

So, I didn't get to play them for too long yesterday but on first impression, I absolutely love them.

I'm no audiophile, and jumping from a pair of $99 Edifiers is obviously going to make a huge difference but they sound even better than I expected (new quality cables may have made a bit of difference too). I popped on one of my Tone Poets and I could hear the separation in instruments like I've never heard them before. As someone with a good amount of Jazz in my collection, it's going to be like listening to all the albums for the first time again.

In terms of the actual Sprout and the Speakers, they're beautiful and the setup was as painless as could be. Definitely happy y'all convinced me to go the Amp + Passive route. And everything fits in the limited space I wanted beautifully. Plus that light light hum the Orbit always made with the powered speakers is no more! I didn't realize how used to that I became until I powered on the sprout and wondered if it was even on because I didnt hear the hum.

I don't know how the Audioengine or Klipsch I was looking would have sounded in comparison, but I can't imagine being happier that what I have now. I feel like I finally have the speaker setup worthy of my collection and i can't wait to listen more on these.
Thanks again for your recommendations @Joe Mac @kvetcha, as neither the Sprout or the Dentons were even on my radar before this.

Awesome! That’s great news! Delighted you’re enjoying it!

You should post a pic of your system in here let us all see just how great it looks 😁

Awesome! That’s great news! Delighted you’re enjoying it!

You should post a pic of your system in here let us all see just how great it looks 😁

I definitely will. Just please don't judge me on the huge VMP focus in my Speaker shelf/stands ;)

Anyone have any experience with Vincent Audio - in general or specifically the SV-237MK Hybrid Integrated Amp?

I'm eyeing one of those. I like what I see so far. Professional reviews are sparse (or for the predecessor - SV-236) but what I've seen is very positive. Biggest criticism I've seen is for the digital input section (I believe the predecessor, the SV-236, had no digital section and this may have been added as a concession on the cheap); but this doesn't matter to me as the SACD player I'd use will hook into the analog-in section so I don't really need the built-in stuff.

Besides the few professional reviews, I see some chatter on various forums. Again, this tends to be highly positive (for both the 236 and 237) and from users who have alternately had other well-regarded IA's such as Prima Luna, McIntosh, Rogue, etc with which to compare the Vincent Audio.

A running theme I see is the idea that it "punches above its weight class". List price is $2750 but I see it on sale in a few places at $2400.

Anyone have any experience with Vincent Audio - in general or specifically the SV-237MK Hybrid Integrated Amp?

I'm eyeing one of those. I like what I see so far. Professional reviews are sparse (or for the predecessor - SV-236) but what I've seen is very positive. Biggest criticism I've seen is for the digital input section (I believe the predecessor, the SV-236, had no digital section and this may have been added as a concession on the cheap); but this doesn't matter to me as the SACD player I'd use will hook into the analog-in section so I don't really need the built-in stuff.

Besides the few professional reviews, I see some chatter on various forums. Again, this tends to be highly positive (for both the 236 and 237) and from users who have alternately had other well-regarded IA's such as Prima Luna, McIntosh, Rogue, etc with which to compare the Vincent Audio.

A running theme I see is the idea that it "punches above its weight class". List price is $2750 but I see it on sale in a few places at $2400.

I know their entry-level phono stages are very well regarded here, but that’s sort of the extent of my exposure.

I know their entry-level phono stages are very well regarded here, but that’s sort of the extent of my exposure.
Yes, I've seen the PHO-xx called out a lot. Besides that, they've never really been on my RADAR. But came across that IA and for shits n' giggles started reading more. The more I did, the more I was impressed/intrigued until potentially thinking to in-home demo one.

Yes, I've seen the PHO-xx called out a lot. Besides that, they've never really been on my RADAR. But came across that IA and for shits n' giggles started reading more. The more I did, the more I was impressed/intrigued until potentially thinking to in-home demo one.

Hey, if you have the opportunity, what better way?

Back