"Get in the kitchen and make me some pie!" - Recipes & Cooking Thread

Anyone ever make chili crisp before? I couldn’t find any, so I’ve been frying shallots and garlic over low heat for about 35 minutes now.
IMG_0063.jpeg

Anyone ever make chili crisp before? I couldn’t find any, so I’ve been frying shallots and garlic over low heat for about 35 minutes now.
View attachment 210684

I have made it and loosely follow My Name Is Andong's youtube recipe. lately i've been doing this: aromatics in the oil 'til boiling (cardomom like you got), then it all gets dumped with schezuan peppercorns, peanuts, sesame seeds, crispy shallots, gochugaru red pepper flakes, soy sauce, salt, sugar, msg (i use aji no moto). If you can find fermented bean curd at your local asian market, that works a treat too. finish up with a drizzle of sesame oil (after it's cooled, you don't want to put it in when it's hot, it'll fuck with the sesame aromatics)

The first time I made it I uh, used too many schezuan peppercorns and it wound up being very tasty but like, malevolently spicy. I made labels for it and called it my sauce of "Wasps and Regret".

Last edited:
Yeah, I think the issue was overkneading the dough and/or using bread flour instead of AP for some of it
when I’ve made focaccia it’s usually been with leftover pizza dough (Roberta’s pizza dough recipe in particular). had good results in a cast iron skillet.

fending for myself tonight, think I might thaw and mince a chicken breast and make some Thai basil chicken. Yes?
reader, I cooked it. not bad! I’m still trying to figure out the balance of seasonings that will hit the notes I love from my local Thai place. This recipe had me using thin soy sauce, fish sauce, sweet soy sauce, and oyster sauce, which turned out tasty but a bit too sweet. Going to just do soy and fish sauce next time with some sugar.

mincing the chicken breast with a cleaver was surprisingly theraputic

I’ve made this stir fry several times since, following various recipes, but I think this one is best: instead of sweet soy sauce, dark soy sauce, thin soy sauce, oyster sauce, etc, it just uses fish sauce, sugar, broth, and black pepper. It’s exactly the flavor I was looking for.

IMG_4383.jpeg

Back