Hip Hop

Ok last one:

As always do all that good stuff like stream and buy tomorrow, but after reading the review @Tillman posted, I feel like this is a must rn.

It's been on constantly for me since it leaked. Early AOTY contender. I think in that Stereogum article it says it feels like a greatest hits album without actually being a collection of past hits, which describes the album perfectly. He hits on all the styles of his career and pushes them forward. I cant reccomend it enough.

My only beef with the album is I dont feel like he utilized Tierra Whack to the best of her abilities. It was the song I was most hyped for and probably my least favorite on the album.

Last edited:
Awaken My Love has to be knocked down a few pegs just on the basis of that horrible horrible horrible California song alone.

Also IGOR is not only better than any solo Pharrell release but it's also a natural progression of the sounds hes been making for the last decade and comes all together coherently in an easy to digest concept album with some of the most beautiful production I've heard this year. There is no dull moments - each stylistic decision, vocal chop, and feature really only help to flesh it out even more. Incredible arrangement. It deserves all the praise that comes its way. I'm almost ready to rate it over Flower Boy already (which is the album that made me become a Tyler fan). I truly haven't been able to keep it out of the rotation since it released.

I just want to contribute and say that, not to knock anyone else's tastes but all of Pharrell's records have done for me is show me how integral Chad Hugo is to The Neptunes. Also, AML had some serious joints on it but all the great songs are great because they sound like old great songs.. there was nothing new to that record at all. But I'm also not really a fan of Gambino so take what I say about him with a huge chunk of salt.

I haven't really listened to a lot of Tyler either.. I own Goblin or whatever.. it has some joints but I have no real drive to throw it on either. Igor is the first stuff of his I've listened to in ages and I enjoyed it. I think people need to stop thinking every new release has to be the greatest and/or worst thing ever and just say, hey.. it's good.

Awaken My Love has to be knocked down a few pegs just on the basis of that horrible horrible horrible California song alone.

Also IGOR is not only better than any solo Pharrell release but it's also a natural progression of the sounds hes been making for the last decade and comes all together coherently in an easy to digest concept album with some of the most beautiful production I've heard this year. There is no dull moments - each stylistic decision, vocal chop, and feature really only help to flesh it out even more. Incredible arrangement. It deserves all the praise that comes its way. I'm almost ready to rate it over Flower Boy already (which is the album that made me become a Tyler fan). I truly haven't been able to keep it out of the rotation since it released.

It's my favorite album from him. He has gotten 10x better across the board, and for a man that made a name being homophobic when he came out, to putting his foot in his mouth and giving us this vulnerable honest side is amazing. Plus the story line is something almost everyone went thru when you take the sexual orientation out of it. We've all wanted a girl or guy that is taken. It is something special and super groovy

not to knock anyone else's tastes but all of Pharrell's records have done for me is show me how integral Chad Hugo is to The Neptunes

Lmao your takes never disappoint 😂

I just want to contribute and say that, not to knock anyone else's tastes but all of Pharrell's records have done for me is show me how integral Chad Hugo is to The Neptunes. Also, AML had some serious joints on it but all the great songs are great because they sound like old great songs.. there was nothing new to that record at all. But I'm also not really a fan of Gambino so take what I say about him with a huge chunk of salt.

I haven't really listened to a lot of Tyler either.. I own Goblin or whatever.. it has some joints but I have no real drive to throw it on either. Igor is the first stuff of his I've listened to in ages and I enjoyed it. I think people need to stop thinking every new release has to be the greatest and/or worst thing ever and just say, hey.. it's good.
Hope I didn’t give the impression I enjoy Pharrell or his albums. Just that Igor sounds like Tyler is attempting to be Pharrell, which has quite a bit to do with me not enjoying it as much as others (not my vibe).

Well I guess I better get over to the PIF thread and get this out the way so I can be ready for the drop. Plus I just rolled up and threw FlyLo on. Boutta be in a zone for a lil bit

It's been on constantly for me since it leaked. Early AOTY contender. I think in that Stereogum article it says it feels like a greatest hits album without actually being a collection of past hits, which describes the album perfectly. He hits on all the styles of his career and pushes them forward. I cant reccomend it enough.

My only beef with the album is I dont feel like he utilized Tierra Whack to the best of her abilities. It was the song I was most hyped for and probably my least favorite on the album.

Ok just got halfway thru the album. There is only 1 track I didnt like first 13 in, but I really enjoyed the Tierra Whack song!!! Its weird af for sure but I like it alot! Idk what song didnt hit for me ill have to go back after im done

Back