Hip Hop

Awaken My Love is better than anything Tyler has put out. Tyler probably has the next 3 best releases between the two, but hasnt come close to Awaken.
I prefer Igor and Flower boy to Awaken, but I don't like Awaken nearly as much as I wanted to. Also, Awaken isn't even a hip hop album, is it? Not saying that matters, just kinda an apples/oranges thing although Igor blurs the lines some. Awaken kept making me want to listen to Funkadelic instead.

I prefer Igor and Flower boy to Awaken, but I don't like Awaken nearly as much as I wanted to. Also, Awaken isn't even a hip hop album, is it? Not saying that matters, just kinda an apples/oranges thing although Igor blurs the lines some. Awaken kept making me want to listen to Funkadelic instead.
No Awaken is not a hip hop album but it is still a better album than any of Tyler's in my book. (Flower Boy being the closest) Anything that is even slightly reminiscent of the greatest band of the 70s is a win for me. Also, I've seen both live and Childish is 10x the performer that Tyler is.

And Igor is a hip hop album?

Dude @Clint Howard I think Al Profit is watching this thread lol. Randomly he made a video yesterday about Cash Money and their connections to the Hankton Family, Terrance 'Gangsta' Williams etc. So weird.

That was fun but I feel, like most of his videos, it could've all been done in like a 2 minute video.. not a whole lot of info there but still a fun watch. I do need to look more into this Hankton family .. and it was weird he went back to the mafia connects in new orleans too?

I wasn’t attempting to say that Awaken was a hip hop album (I don’t think it was ever marketed as one), just personally don’t feel that Igor is one either. 🤷🏻‍♂️ happy you are digging it!
What would you call Igor then? Surely songs like Boy is a Gun and Puppet are hip hop, right? Or are you saying you think it is something else with hip hop mixed in?

I have never been a Curren$y fan (no real reason why). The only Curren$y albums i’ve heard in full are Fetti and 2009. But I am loving this album right here. If this gets a vinyl release i’m def gonna cop.

73650ABD-97DA-4BCF-9F94-AB902E016F5D.png

What would you call Igor then? Surely songs like Boy is a Gun and Puppet are hip hop, right? Or are you saying you think it is something else with hip hop mixed in?

R&B. And as much as Awaken was an homage to that Funkadelic style, I feel Igor sounds x1,000,000 more like Tyler attempting to create a Pharrell album. Which once again is fine, I don’t mind when artists wear influences on their sleeves, it just didn’t personally hit that mark for me.

R&B. And as much as Awaken was an homage to that Funkadelic style, I feel Igor sounds x1,000,000 more like Tyler attempting to create a Pharrell album. Which once again is fine, I don’t mind when artists wear influences on their sleeves, it just didn’t personally hit that mark for me.
Fair enough. To be clear, that Funkadelic comment wasn't meant to say I hate it when artists wear their influences on their sleeves. Rather, when recognizing the influence makes me want to stop the album and go listen to the influence, it isn't a great sign for me loving the album.

I have never been a Curren$y fan (no real reason why). The only Curren$y albums i’ve heard in full are Fetti and 2009. But I am loving this album right here. If this gets a vinyl release i’m def gonna cop.

View attachment 2064
So is it that what you heard previously just didn't click / what were your thoughts on Fetti and 2009?

Awaken My Love is better than anything Tyler has put out. Tyler probably has the next 3 best releases between the two, but hasnt come close to Awaken.
Took awhile for Awaken My Love to come across as something more than just a Funkadelic tribute album for me personally. It's really solid and I do enjoy listening to it but I don't think that it is wholly original musically.

So is it that what you heard previously just didn't click / what were your thoughts on Fetti and 2009?

That’s exactly what it was. His music just didn’t click with me until Fetti. Iove Fetti as i’m a huge Gibbs and Al fan. I like 2009 but not as much as Fetti. Those albums clicked and made me want to hear more Curren$y. I really like his style now, it’s so laid back and chill. I have no idea why it didn’t resonate with me before.

Back